Forum

Vanilla + medlocks (+ maps, apparently)

Created 3rd May 2011 @ 15:07

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 46 Next »

bulletproofsmurf

Vuze.

At the risk of being silenced by an admin again, I’ll elaborate on my previous post.

After i42 it seems the enthusiasm for implementing vanilla + medlocks has increased massively in popularity so it might be worth revisiting the issue.

A lot of teams are informally agreeing to use the rules for officials anyway, so it’s at least worth discussing the idea of formalising them.

Some people are new to the idea and don’t check the forums everyday, which is why I have raised the point again.

Edit by aforementioned admin: Thanks :)

Spira

but but the gunboats :O

Swarlz

We have just had this disscusion like 100x100x1000 times though and I for one would rather masturbate to 2 girls 1 cup using liquid nitrogen as lubricant and getting poked up the bum with a really warm stick than have to read through another thread again.

ouch

keep on discussing I’d rather play the game

Nmx

ᴷᵈ

http://www.redrambo.be/files/image/angry_baby.jpg

Swarlz

Unlocks – Why people should just shut up and get on with it.
By Ben “Swarlz” Walker

So here’s the deal – it really doesn’t matter. ETF2L have gone with the policy using unlocks Wireplay have gone for a split in rules between skill levels and ESL have decided to just medlocks. Now here’s the really cleaver bit everyone seems split between 1 of these 3 choices, therefore people should go play in the league for the rules they want.
Inb4 one league is more prestigious and better than the other because in this day and age of TF2 the only teams that are going to win prizes are the top division teams who are now at the moment in ESL:-
Note: the top teams really aren’t complaining they’ve just gone to ESL Profit?
Conclusion:
Want to play medlocks – ESL
Want to play split rules – WPTF2L
Want to play unlocks – ETF2L
Want to play TF2 for fun and just get on with it – ESL, WPTF2L, ETF2L and pub like a pr0
Lots of love
Swarlz

Skully

Vanillia works, but to keep people outside the higher divs/sensibles ones happy, you need some unlocks, hence why I believe the unlock list for div3-prem that wireplay used last season works for all of TF2

Retsh0ck

32erz
2strong

heres an idea:
main ruleset is vanilla. the gentlemen agreement would be to play with cinnamon ( so you could play with cinnamon if both teams agree – which shouldn’t be a problem since most of ETF2L wanted cinnamon amirite? ) :]
I find this to be much smarter to do since MOST of the etf2l wanted to play cinnamon at the start of the season ( lots of people were so eager playing cinnamon so yeh ).

Skyride

DUCS

The higher up people seem to get in the divisions, the more heavily they become in favour of vanilla. The unlocks at the moment encourage superficial breadth of tactics, while personally increasing in skill level/gamesense increases depth of tactics, by having to find more nuanced things to do to actually win games.

I don’t think it’s a debate worth having, I bought this game less than 6 months after release, and over the last 3 years I’ve seen people who were otherwise in favour in unlocks, slowly become more jaded towards them as they got better at the game, and eventually just want full on vanilla. I don’t think I can really convey this point in a forum post to be honest though, it’s the kind of persuasion you need to do in person, and that’s why this debate is pointless.

No one wants to change their opinion, and a forum is unlikely to do it for a lot of people. Let’s just a make a decision and roll with it. If it means going to ESL if people want to play real TF2, cool. If it means people who’ve had the game for 3 months taking over ETF2L, fine. If it means ETF2L as an organisation finally getting the balls to go “this is whats happening, end of”, fucking fantastic.

edit: Actually just look at the post by Shabbaman below me. I’m sure we’re just +1’ing the opinions of people who’ve been playing the game since release.

Last edited by Skyride,

Shabbaman

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from Skully

but to keep people outside the higher divs/sensibles ones happy, you need some unlocks

Why? I’ve been playing TF2 since beta, yet I get even more unhappy with every new unlock. I know a lot of people that stopped playing because they got annoyed with all the hats and weapons. I doubt there will be more div6 drops because of banned weapons than there are prem drops (“not signed up this season”) because of unbanned weapons.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Whatever unites this small community has to be a good thing, however this debate will run and run and run and run and run and run and run…

If the medlocks were released next week would everyone still be “medlocks ftw!”?

Reading the various threads that have spawned over the years regarding this issue, I’ve seen a number of reasons why allowing unlocks is a god and bad thing. Most of the reasons for banning any new weapons, if applied to the medlocks, would see them banned as well. I mean KK can not only 1 hit kill, but 1 crit sticky can kill like 4 people!

Going Medlocks only would unite the top and the rest would soon follow suit as it appears most of the lower peeps dont really give a shit.

What I’d like everyone who calls for medlocks only to do, is to honestly look inside themselves and ask if the reason they are accepted is because they were the VERY FIRST unlocks and you all just got used to using them.

If the scout update had come first, (OK with a non-broken version of the FAN :p), then we may be having this argument about “Scoutlocks only FTW!!”

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Monkeh

If the medlocks were released next week would everyone still be “medlocks ftw!”?

That’s pretty much what I’ve been thinking for the past few months at least.
(remove the FTW maybe, but ye)

bulletproofsmurf

Vuze.

Quoted from Swarlz

Unlocks – Why people should just shut up and get on with it.
By Ben “Swarlz” Walker

So here’s the deal – it really doesn’t matter. ETF2L have gone with the policy using unlocks Wireplay have gone for a split in rules between skill levels and ESL have decided to just medlocks. Now here’s the really cleaver bit everyone seems split between 1 of these 3 choices, therefore people should go play in the league for the rules they want.
Inb4 one league is more prestigious and better than the other because in this day and age of TF2 the only teams that are going to win prizes are the top division teams who are now at the moment in ESL:-
Note: the top teams really aren’t complaining they’ve just gone to ESL Profit?
Conclusion:
Want to play medlocks – ESL
Want to play split rules – WPTF2L
Want to play unlocks – ETF2L
Want to play TF2 for fun and just get on with it – ESL, WPTF2L, ETF2L and pub like a pr0
Lots of love
Swarlz

But some of us don’t want to see etf2l die because of mismanagement. So surely it’s worth having a bitch and a moan anyway?!

And I realise this debate has been rehashed a lot in the past- but like I said some of us don’t check the forums everyday.

Spike Himself

TC

In a perhaps more interesting light; Would you refuse to sign up for an etf2l season if it’d be run around a vanilla+medlocks ruleset, or do you know anyone that would?

kuma

Quoted from Monkeh

Whatever unites this small community has to be a good thing, however this debate will run and run and run and run and run and run and run…

Reading the various threads that have spawned over the years regarding this issue, I’ve seen a number of reasons why allowing unlocks is a god and bad thing. Most of the reasons for banning any new weapons, if applied to the medlocks, would see them banned as well. I mean KK can not only 1 hit kill, but 1 crit sticky can kill like 4 people!

Going Medlocks only would unite the top and the rest would soon follow suit as it appears most of the lower peeps dont really give a shit.

What I’d like everyone who calls for medlocks only to do, is to honestly look inside themselves and ask if the reason they are accepted is because they were the VERY FIRST unlocks and you all just got used to using them.

If the scout update had come first, (OK with a non-broken version of the FAN :p), then we may be having this argument about “Scoutlocks only FTW!!”

It’s the only unlock that can create a “real” strategy and is used by a non-combat class, so probably yes.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 46 Next »