Forum

I'm a tad confused about...

Created 26th January 2011 @ 11:02

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Ghostface

spire

Everyone should just calm the fuck down about beavern and have some of http://teamdead.net/gentoo/e-shrooms/

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

webchat.quakenet.org

vlad_drac

xoxo

Regardless of the 3 trollmen of the apocalypse trying to make this thread look sinister, it’s still innocent and i appreciate anyone’s time spent on a reply :)

compton

cvx|

Quoted from vlad_drac

I don’t know where people got the impression that a forum was not a place for discussion.

+1, if you don’t want to read threads where people talk about things… Don’t read them, and especially do not post in them! It’s the meta-talk and derailing that makes the threads less readable, not the thread creator or the people who contribute in them with valuable posts.

Now excuse me for the meta-talk myself, but I’m also interested in hearing a public statement from the AC team about this exact thing. As far as I’ve understood, the AC team is at least going to set the goal to exactly what vlad_drac was describing: all must explicitly vote an unanimous “yes” so that a player can be banned, and I’ve expressed my opinion that votes should be based on the perception of the voter whether there is enough evidence to do a ban, rather than whether the voter thinks the player cheats.

The difference is subtle, but crucial. I might think that some idiot I don’t like also cheats. However, if I think there is not enough evidence or that it’s not substantial enough, I would vote “no” even if I think the player is cheating. This should be how everyone in a jury (AC team) makes their vote. It should NOT be based on gut feel, which is probably the basis for previous bans.

Last edited by compton,

randa

Quoted from compton

[…]

+1, if you don’t want to read threads where people talk about things… Don’t read them, and especially do not post in them! It’s the meta-talk and derailing that makes the threads less readable, not the thread creator or the people who contribute in them with valuable posts.

Now excuse me for the meta-talk myself, but I’m also interested in hearing a public statement from the AC team about this exact thing. As far as I’ve understood, the AC team is at least going to set the goal to exactly what vlad_drac was describing: all must explicitly vote an unanimous “yes” so that a player can be banned, and I’ve expressed my opinion that votes should be based on the perception of the voter whether there is enough evidence to do a ban, rather than whether the voter thinks the player cheats.

The difference is subtle, but crucial. I might think that some idiot I don’t like also cheats. However, if I think there is not enough evidence or that it’s not substantial enough, I would vote “no” even if I think the player is cheating. This should be how everyone in a jury (AC team) makes their vote. It should NOT be based on gut feel, which is probably the basis for previous bans.

lol’d

Swarlz

I’m actually going to cry with e-rage.

Ghostface

spire

Quoted from randa

lol’d

+1.
Can’t you guys just let the whole matter die and go play some tf2 for once?

vlad_drac

xoxo

Thanks compton, i’m sure if the decent thinking tf2 community can selectively blank out the usual trolls, we might have a decent thread on our hands for a change.

Edit:
Oh look, 3 of them posted in the time it took me to reply to you :)

Last edited by vlad_drac,

compton

cvx|

Quoted from vlad_drac

Thanks compton, i’m sure if the decent thinking tf2 community can selectively blank out the usual trolls, we might have a decent thread on our hands for a change.

Edit:

Yeah. I love how they’re trying so hard to prove my point :D

Swarlz

Just because I happen to think this is an outdated and pointless topic does not make me a troll and as far as “just ignore the threads then” goes I really can’t, your blocking up my forum activity feeds and the sheer irgnorance in these threads cannot be just left to continue. They create a terrible image for the community and cause flame wars that don’t need to happen. The first thread about AC I was totally cool with until it ran dry and got locked, then someone else thought hmmm I’ll have a go – some more points were made D2M spoke his bit then it ran dry, cool. Then someone else goes oooh ooh my turn now. No progress made just crap and now again – although I agree with your initial post I disagree with you posting it, we just need to leave it now. drop it.

compton

cvx|

Quoted from Swarlz

your blocking up my forum activity feeds

Learn to scan. Do not click on uninteresting links. Basic skills for any internet user. But I’m sure you know that already, as you’re just trying to create an argument.

Quoted from Swarlz

they create a terrible image for the community

Is this a fact? Says who? I think that’s completely subjective and perhaps just a projected fear exactly like “people think TF2 is just a cartoon game”, which I hear much more from TF2 players than anyone else.

Quoted from Swarlz

cause flame wars that don’t need to happen.

Who’s flaming here except you?

Without your meta-talk, this thread would be about two to four posts long, perhaps buried. But now it gets bumped because you are making claims that derail the thread. So you want this thread to die, but you won’t let it happen?

Now say you’re not trolling.

XorZ

[8U]
[8U]

Quoted from Swarlz

Just because I happen to think this is an outdated and pointless topic does not make me a troll and as far as “just ignore the threads then” goes I really can’t, your blocking up my forum activity feeds and the sheer irgnorance in these threads cannot be just left to continue. They create a terrible image for the community and cause flame wars that don’t need to happen. The first thread about AC I was totally cool with until it ran dry and got locked, then someone else thought hmmm I’ll have a go – some more points were made D2M spoke his bit then it ran dry, cool. Then someone else goes oooh ooh my turn now. No progress made just crap and now again – although I agree with your initial post I disagree with you posting it, we just need to leave it now. drop it.

As the above poster said, you really can’t whine about these topics creating flamewars when the only people who has gone offtopic so far are the ones saying just that – the thread will go offtopic and turn into flaming.

I also like the part where you say “no progress made”. How on earth is that reason enough to drop the subject? This is an important issue that needs to be answered in a way that makes the community comfortable. If no progress is made, then that’s just the biggest reason to create a new thread. We need progress. Now if you stop calling flame on everything and instead leave the posting to people who have enough backbone to create an opinion, we might just get some of that progress.

Last edited by XorZ,

Norris

Quoted from vlad_drac

Edit:

Unfortunately F5+/new/+insert-random-post+TAB+RETURN seams the way to go by now. It started back when we had these topics about the over the edge moderation regarding free speech and bans in the forums. See where this has led us to..

Swarlz

If your going to disect my posts like that there is really no point tbh. Enjoy.

Last edited by Swarlz,

randa

Quoted from randa

/j #etf2l

!admin

No need to create a topic which can only be answered by admins on a public forum.

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »