Forum

TF2 on Ubuntu/Linux fps

Created 31st December 2010 @ 11:16

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

I’ll say this right now, and I know I’ll get flamed for it by everyone who’s ever dealt with linux, but for desktops Ubuntu is genuinely the best distro. Not technically speaking or anything, I just mean from an “it just works” perspective.

Although for any purpose other than laptops/desktops, its just what distro you’re more comfortable with really.

TF2 on Wine doesn’t run great, although if you have a pretty good setup its definitely playable.

runy

eX.

I’m back on windows7.

GHOSTRIDER

Linux 4ever…

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from GHOSTRIDER

Linux 4ever…

2011 Year of the Linux Desktop!

runy

eX.

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

2011 Year of the Linux Desktop!

why do you say that?

wer

tfortress.no

its not even 2011 yet. HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?

Nigh

¿
TF2.ro

Quoted from runy

[…]

why do you say that?

portal 2 and dota gets released => new source engine => new feature => steam native for linux :D

Nislem

Quoted from octochris

[…]

it’s not going to make any difference what distro you use. if you understand the way wine works, you’ll understand why.

not really actually, because there aren’t many things using your cpu in the background in my distro, it’s almost raw x and gnome without any compiz or other utilities and i think that for example ubuntu uses more programs in background

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Nislem

[…]
not really actually, because there aren’t many things using your cpu in the background in my distro, it’s almost raw x and gnome without any compiz or other utilities and i think that for example ubuntu uses more programs in background

That’s a windows mentality. Linux’s scheduler handles large numbers of processes a lot better than windows, so 50 things running in the background using virtually no CPU on linux will make a lot less difference than on Windows.

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from runy

[…]

why do you say that?

It’s a running joke, one thats hard to explain if you don’t know what it’s about.

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

It’s a running joke, one thats hard to explain if you don’t know what it’s about.

trolol running. I see what you did thur.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Nislem

[…]

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

That’s a windows mentality. Linux’s scheduler handles large numbers of processes a lot better than windows, so 50 things running in the background using virtually no CPU on linux will make a lot less difference than on Windows.

more or less what he said. as an addendum, compiling wine locally isn’t going to make a big difference when the issue is in the method, not the compilation.

Last edited by octochris,

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

Quoted from Nigh

[…]

portal 2 and dota gets released => new source engine => new feature => steam native for linux :D

valve time, will take more than a decade.

Oscar

Cheers

Quoted from Nigh

portal 2 and dota gets released => new source engine => new feature => steam native for linux => Hell Freezes Over => Episode 3

Fix’d.

ih

Actually Steam for Linux will definitely make me ditch the Microsoft’s OS once and for all. :D Remember that almost all servers run on Linux. I think that future Linux TF2 with maxfps config will run like 1000 fps on single core cpu ;)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »