Forum

Please ETF2L, PLEASE reconsider the new unlock rules

Created 3rd October 2010 @ 21:20

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 ... 18 Next »

kurt

trick17
trick17

Quoted from Koeitje

Make the gloves charge based. 5 seconds of speed, boink recharge times. Should be a decent compromise between the current situation and the old situation. Would even bring in some skill in deploying it in situations beyond mid fights. Some buff changes might also do it, but not to much. 50hp tops should be ok.

Thats sounds good too.

I did not suggest to remove the hp drain. I only thought about the similarities of both items in terms of increasing speed.

dunc

infs
dp.

Quoted from kurt

[…]I did not suggest to remove the hp drain. I only thought about the similarities of both items in terms of increasing speed.

See my numbers, then :)

Geten

Nice input. I feel compelled to bring my korvören to bear.

I’ve played heavy on and off, often maining heavy and used it 80% of the time. I can’t really speak for div 1 play, naturally, but I’ve found that the heavy is in fact rather viable when facing teams of our calibre. Not equal to two soldiers, though, but still viable. Sandvich & spinup adjustments has really helped him against leetle cowards. 30% speed boost is outright ridiculous. It might have suited a heavy 2 years ago.

A 10% boost may have been enough. Even though I love the heavy for various reasons I feel 2 sollys and solly/heavy should be viable options. With all things considered, the heavy is the obvious choice here if present GRU is equipped.

I for once see some sense in Algot’s trolling. That something requires adaption isn’t reason enough to ban something. Or am I not getting the point? I don’t think the heavy should be mandatory but find it rather silly to define balance, harmony and fun in how things have been in the past. In other words. Sollies are there to ubercharge. I find anything else racist. /rant

kuma

Quoted from dunc

Having the heavy class so powerful forces the opposition team to counter it, and that isn’t the way TF2 should be played. The second a team is forced into playing a different game or forced into countering a specific class, it’s my opinion that said class is imbalanced and probably shouldn’t be allowed into competitive play.

What is this?

dunc

infs
dp.

Quoted from Geten

I don’t think the heavy should be mandatory but find it rather silly to define balance, harmony and fun in how things have been in the past. In other words. Sollies are there to ubercharge. I find anything else racist. /rant

Who is saying that though? I’ve already said, and I’m sure most players would agree, that it would be fantastic to see the heavy more often in competitive play. Christ, if I could bring sommie back as a permanent heavy, my personal enjoyment of TF2 would increase by probably 150%.

I just don’t think this is the way to do it.

I really enjoy the serious debates about these unlocks. I don’t however like people suggesting that D1 have said “this or that”, when they haven’t.

Quoted from dunc

I doubt that would work.

Say 10 seconds to Granary CP3 @ pyro speed; that’s 240HP.

Medic would need to heal 210HP @ 24HP/s (as the heavy recently took damage).

Heavy would have to wait the same length of time it would’ve taken him to get there without the gloves to get into CP3 on 450HP. Would be better off not running the GRU; at least then the medic could just buff the heavy quickly as he got into CP3, rather than having to heal him for 9 seconds straight.

sandvich = 150hp

Geten

Ok I’ll try to rephrase that. What I hear some people say about gunboats and heavy and whatnot is that they fear they simply have to run the same lineup as opposed to today where one has to run two soldiers, basically. So I mean I’d rather see fatso as viablo as 2 soldiers but not overwhelmingly better.

Indeed, heavy is fun. I know you’er a gentleman and would never steal candy.

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from Norris

I was under the impression that the Running Gloves were exactly what the Community wanted in the beta days. Wasn’t it forced by the div1 beta stars? If so how can we still ban this weapon if Valve made all their way down to add it to the game. Something that WE wanted to have so badly? Doubt they are going to listen in the future if they see that this addition is still ending up getting banned here. Ofc it’s close to the new season but the weapon already got tested in the beta a while back and we still have time to test it for about two weeks!!? Fuck knows when Season 9 is going to start, don’t let the heavy suffer for another year (considering his natasha got banned here as well now)!

Having to post the exact same reply every few pages is getting tedious.

The GRU is banned because it has only been released for less then a week. The chance you get it trough random drop is about 12% a week and there is no recipe to craft it at the moment. So there is no way to get people to practise and train with and against the new unlocks on such a short notice.

There will be one day cups to try out the unlocks.

Tikcus

I have read nothing new

When Valve look at balance they look at nine classes and the counters all nine classes bring to an unlock

When people in here look at balance they look at how it effects 3 classes (scout, soldier, demo) and if those 3 classes do not have an immediate counter for said unlock it is called Over powered and 13+ pages of discussion take place (with lots unable to type more than vanilla+medic unlocks, or medlocks as the cool kids call it now).

Now I get that a lot of people are stuck in a mindset that TF2 is played this way and only this way (sol, 2 scout, demo, medic), and any unlock that is allowed can not under any circumstances interfere with this line up, or alter the way they have played for 3 years.

I also get that a lot of people want to allow everything, and let time tell which is the best set up to run in 6v6 (like in CS:S and other games although 5v5 in CS:S), with almost unlimited combinations, tactics and counters.

There is a place for both schools of thought and both rule sets in TF2, and a lot of people given the opportunity would play in both competitions.

Ideally this would be with 2 separate leagues, this would be hard to do as 2 leagues would require double the admin time, so in the short term this is probably not feasible.

However a 6v6 open ladder (still no crits, yet to meet 1 competitive player that thinks random crits is a good idea) but allowing all unlocks without limit or delay after they are released, could well be a way forward, and to see if there is significant demand for an allow all weapons competition

Tehgnarr

is good!

Quoted from Tikcus

However a 6v6 open ladder (still no crits, yet to meet 1 competitive player that thinks random crits is a good idea) but allowing all unlocks without limit or delay after they are released, could well be a way forward, and to see if there is significant demand for an allow all weapons competition

your ideas are way too thought out and well formulated for people like that flix-guy to understand. please try to use more internetz-slang in future.

but I second this idea.

RaCio

GoT²

Remember you can already agree to allow all unlocks in ladder matches.

Just challange FB green if you cant find a team willling to :p

blisf

I have thought until recently that allowing all of the unlocks is the way forward. Not because of the recent update I think some unlocks are not compatible for competitive tf2 but it is because I’ve managed to understand that some unlocks just slows down the game in a way that it ruins the fun for everyone.
I, personally like to see people using underdog unlocks since it feels refreshing.

Since I’ve managed to change my mind a bit, I do believe that the main way to introduce variety and change is new maps. I think that a good way to do it is some kind of contest which starts at the begin of each season which gives some maps to the community to test and before the next season starts there will be a vote for the next map.
Playing always the same maps isnt fun for me, buri understand some people don’t like variety.

One new map each season, and removing maps that sucks is the way to go (IMO). It can also be done with long gone maps (i.e fastlane/well/etc), since there is a new generation of competitive tf2 players.

P.s it’s fun typing on iPod touch and… Free the fish.

Last edited by blisf,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from blisf

removing maps that sucks

Start preparing yourself for 15-page-threads with nerds like ourselves arguing about what defines a map as sucky :D

blisf

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Start preparing yourself for 15-page-threads with nerds like ourselves arguing about what defines a map as sucky :D

*Removing the least good maps on the pool.

Last edited by blisf,

flix

n2o

Quoted from Tehgnarr

[…]

your ideas are way too thought out and well formulated for people like that flix-guy to understand. please try to use more internetz-slang in future.

but I second this idea.

wow,the pokemon thing must have hurt your feelings.
iam sry dude i take it back.

btw. this is the interwebzzzz

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 ... 18 Next »