Forum

i58 - tournament admin required

Created 24th July 2016 @ 12:34

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Hi!

As per last year myself and fiyahstorm will still be running the event. We are however obliged to have a third admin this time.

Please note this is a volunteer role so you do not get paid. However, you will receive a free ticket to the event. If you already have a ticket then a refund or transfer can be sorted out. Food vouchers are also provided for the days you are working (this seems to change every time but looks like enough for 2x meals a day up to a value of £6-7 each)

You cannot play in any tournaments as staff and you are unlikely to get many opportunities to play social games on ‘live days’. Because there will be three of us you may find there is a bit more time but this will depend on how things are running on the day so I can’t say too much. We’ll pick up most of the stress of it :)
Expect:
Thursday ~ a few hours setting up, testing and checking servers, chasing sign ups, effectively doing as much as possible so things are ready to go for Friday. You should have a few hours Thursday night for social time, should be quite relaxed. Not a massive problem if you can’t get here for Thursday, although it would be preferable that you do.
Friday ~ Start time depends on tournament sign up closing, but not too early (i.e. something like 11 am), chasing sign ups, sorting seeds, assigning maps. Once tournament is live you will be there until we are done for the day. Previously this has been something like 3-5 pm until midnight. Usually sticks to schedule so I don’t expect any later than that.
Saturday ~ in for 9-10am depending on tournament start, pretty much runs all day, aiming to be done for pub quiz (9 pm). Mostly just monitoring games, dealing with map picks, feeding results through. Delays very common due to teams in BO3s not starting on time.
Sunday ~ Likely only a couple of games, inc. finals. Looking like we’ll be handling finals again so less time pressure and no real messing around setting up on stage. After the finals you can do what you want with the time, you’re pretty much free.

Mostly, there is a lot of sat around at times (which usually means things are running smoothly) so you can obviously do whatever you want during that time as long as you handle tournament stuff if it pops up. You will need to sit with us. Not sure yet whether they’re forcing us into the admin area but usually we can sit closer to the teams.

Myself and fiyahstorm have handled this together before so there’s no real pressure on you but it does just allow us to take breaks for food etc. as this became a problem last year with teams causing delays and running into scheduled breaks. We’re using a different tournament system this year (battlefy) so things should be a bit smoother possibly (?) rather than multiplay’s system in the past. Any experience with that is obviously very useful :)

With that, this will be the last year I intend to run TF2 at insomnia so should it continue next year you would be in a good position of experience if you wanted to do it again.

If you’re interested fill in https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LZYXTMZ and i’ll be in touch. I’m away most of next week so I will probably try make a decision ~2nd August or so.

Last edited by Nymthae,

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Pick Me! Pick Me! :-D

Nym and Fire have done a great job guys, make sure you apply if you’ve got the patience, organization skills and large shoulders to keep the TF2 Lan dream alive! TF2 will only really ever die when people stop going to lan.

DCS

(Legend)
notdoggo
Dr. med.

Would have loved to help out but I am already playing with a team there. Maybe next year!

flushy

P.O.P

Quoted from Tapley ❤

Pick Me! Pick Me! :-D

Nym and Fire have done a great job guys, make sure you apply if you’ve got the patience, organization skills and large shoulders to keep the TF2 Lan dream alive! TF2 will only really ever die when people stop going to lan.

Tapley i <3 you so much

Jon

Essentials

Applied! Not playing at LAN (hehe cameramen dont play tf2…)

DCS

(Legend)
notdoggo
Dr. med.

Quick question:

Are the grand finals really that late this year? according to this https://insomniagamingfestival.com/i58/tournaments/byoc-tournament-schedule/ they are gonna be done by 7-8 pm…

asking because want to book a trainticket back home.

Add A Reply Pages: 1