Forum

Chaplains big LAN Checklist & Tips

Created 14th August 2012 @ 21:18

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

Hey lads, I understand quite a few of you guys who will be attending i46 in just more then a week will be complete LAN virgins; this is a few tips and a checklist that I have used for the past few iseries and quite a few LANs before that, and I hope it’s useful!

Make sure you have all the essentials and the reccomended to make your LAN life better!
Big Thanks to Paranoia for the inspiration

Essentials
PC Stuff
Case
Monitor
2xKettle Leads
Mouse
Keyboard
Headset
Mousemat
PC Lock
Kensington Lock
Power Strip
Clothes
5xShirt/T-Shirt
3xTrouser
5xUnderwear
5xSocks
Toiletries
Toothbrush+Paste
Shower Gel/Shampoo/Face Wash
Deodorant/Anti-perspirant
Hair Wax/Brush
Towel
Camping Gear
Tent
Pegs
Sleeping Bag
£100 Spending Money

Reccomended
Non-Steam game backup CD’s
Windows/Linux Install + Keycode
Phone/MP3 Charger/Connectors
Spare copies of clothes
Hammer
Torch

Optional
Portable HDD/USB
Bottle Opener
PC Trolley
Webcam

Luxury
Pillow
Satsumas
Bodywarmer(s)

Tips
Security

REMOVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO FROM STEAM

Big Thanks to Humbug for the following security tips

1) Make sure you have set a BIOS password (also make sure you either remember it or write it down and leave it at home / in your car)

2) Make sure in your BIOS you turn the option of booting from devices other than your HDD OFF

3) Set your windows account to logon with a password (THIS IS A MUST)

4) Microsoft in their infinite wisdom doesn’t give you an option to easily switch off the Accessibility button on the login screen on vista and above which allows anyone to mess with some settings on your pc without a need to log-on. This is kind of stupid so i would recommend doing the following (i can confirm this works as i’ve done it)

4a) first download and extract the files i attached to this thread
4b) secondly run the “Take Ownership” registry entry and click through to accept the alteration of the registry.
4c) find windowssystem32utilman.exe, right click and select the new “Take Ownership” menu option.
4d) rename utilman.exe to utilman.exe.old
4e) copy the utilman.exe you downloaded from this thread and paste it into your windowssystem32 directory.
4f) restart your PC. You’ll notice the accessibility button still there on your log-on screen however it will now be disabled. Should you want to enable it again just rename the current utilman.exe file to something and rename the original one back.

5) Make sure you set a screen saver for a 1 minute time-out and make sure you set it so you have to enter a your password to unlock (believe me this can be a little annoying at first but it will save you all kinds of hurt)

6) Try and make sure that when ever you leave your PC you “lock this computer”. Should you forget to do this hopefully step 5 will cover you.

Food

A lot of euros complain about the food in England; there is as much quality food in England as anywhere else, its just much easier to find absolutely awful food for the uninitiated.

1) Never eat food from a service station or kiosk, as it is overpriced, awful and contains polio. Use supermarkets such as ASDA or Tesco to get your provisions from.
2) Milk is always a bad choice
3) Don’t buy a fried breakfast from the multiplay food area (or anything if you can help it) as theres a quality greasy spoon (english breakfast restaurant) around the corner with 4x the portion and actual black pudding.
4) If you are living on a budget, microwave food is a definate possibility as there are microwave stations at the event. This works out a lot cheaper then any other option.
5) Multiplay food can be reached on their website and ordered to your desk, and the meatball wraps are pretty badman.

Cleanliness

1) Don’t think you can avoid washing and just use deodorant
2) Aftershave is not a Deodorant replacement.
3) Try and beg/borrow/steal hotel showers off people, or use the showers in the conference center. The showers in the camp area are cold, muddy and communal, which may be a problem if you are uncomfortable around naked men.

Last edited by Chaplain,

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

i didnt do anything of this at i43 and nothing happened

but good effort and if you want to be on the save side do it

Quoted from smziii

i didnt do anything of this at i43 and nothing happened

but good effort and if you want to be on the save side do it

You didnt bring clothes or deodorant?

IMO the essentials actually are essential, especially the security shit else zebbosai will steal your pcs

Coleman

TEZC
TEZC

Can someone steal Dan Whittys PC, because then he will have to get a new one and not take 50 mins to launch TF2.

Jörge

TSUN~
derptex9

Didn’t think about a lock of any sort since previous LANs it hasn’t been an issue.

alba

duplo

chaplain checklist carry

kaidus

WiK?

Quoted from Chaplain

[…]

You didnt bring clothes or deodorant?

smzi checklist:
bratwurst
tintenfische
ja ja ja

Extremer

don’t forget a dildo

edit: and a fannypack

Last edited by Extremer,

Quoted from Jörge

Didn’t think about a lock of any sort since previous LANs it hasn’t been an issue.

at LAN its hard to take out big stuff like the monitor and case, but i could easily take your graphics card and peripherals if you dont have em locked down

Trane

This is actually pretty helpful, cheers.

Shellfish Clive

8D

Can’t forget them bodywarmers.

Edd

T2P

what about those minstrels to carry some herbal aromatic scented stuff into the event

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

and a packet of chocolate fingers

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Quoted from kaidus

[…]

smzi checklist:
bratwurst
tintenfische