Forum

Valve breaks plugins - PETITION

Created 5th May 2010 @ 09:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Extremer

They didn’t just break the plugins, they made them impossible to fix since they depended on a feature that is now gone.

F2

Danmark

Byte, the difference is that you could fix it. The makers of these plugins can’t fix it (because Valve removed features from the engine). So they have wasted months of their time developing plugins that now render useless (and impossible to fix).

Aeron

sp//

Quoted from lagi

Well, I bet they’re gonna fix them as soon as possible

and that is exactly why I started this :)

longas

i want the dmatch mod back :(

byte

Quoted from F2

Byte, the difference is that you could fix it. The makers of these plugins can’t fix it (because Valve removed features from the engine). So they have wasted months of their time developing plugins that now render useless (and impossible to fix).

And I’m sure they will bring it back upon request or their pre-development as they are currently working I’m guessing?

Doing a petition is hardly the correct procedure and you know it. But yes I did have an “alternative” method I guess with regards to TF2 they don’t, so its a fair shout for the creators/authors to mention on steam forums or send an email to valve (as they do actually listen).

Could just do the sensible thing and mention it to a guy in TF2 who has close quarters with valve. There’s around 5 i’d say who are so :>

Cheers

Byte

Moreg

dc.

Quoted from longas

i want the dmatch mod back :(

this is, what I really miss too :/

fjord

TaR

Quoted from byte

[…] You of all ppl should know f2 as well, when i did my project in Java at the time in 2006 i used quite a few Hashtables and the order of how it picked up data in the table changed in their 2008 update(s) and my program stopped working/didn’t function correctly […]

Could you elaborate on that? Afaik a Hashtable has no order.

Skyride

DUCS

Ok, Car analogy time (high five if you get that).

Lets say you have 4×4 and a caravan, however as its a second car, its not often used for anything other than towing the caravan on holiday. One day you take it in for a service and the garage removes the tow bar, along with the part of the chassis it was attached to leaving no possible way for you to re-attach it yourself.

This means that despite the fact you’re 4×4 still works fine, they’ve taken away one of the most important things about it, the real feature of that particular car that made you choose it.

Last edited by Skyride,

Rotab

≧◡≦

they dont give a damn, they dont give a fuck HeyYy

oooo/

but yes, wheres mah dm :cc

byte

Quoted from fjord

[…]Could you elaborate on that? Afaik a Hashtable has no order.

When I said order I was referring to my program if your looking for the actual functionality change done by Sun Microsystems it was key value being stored in the memory data structure of a hashtable which changed (with their updates) when it returned the index number, that is what had changed.

Cheers

Byte

Last edited by byte,

Bury.

internecine

I doubt they removed it without good reason, valve has publically commended the prophunt people for creating a fun game mode, I doubt they would cut something out they enjoy themselves. Probably just another noob mistake on their end that they will put back soon, don’t fret.

Quoted from byte

[…]

When I said order I was referring to my program if your looking for the actual functionality change done by Sun Microsystems it was key value being stored in the memory data structure of a hashtable which changed (with their updates) when it returned the index number, that is what had changed.

Cheers

Byte

Keys in hashtable are unordered, you can’t index them. Don’t blame Sun for your lack of understanding of basic data structure.

byte

Quoted from vosen

[…]
Keys in hashtable are unordered, you can’t index them. Don’t blame Sun for your lack of understanding of basic data structure.

lol why troll? I never blamed Sun? And i never stated that i didn’t misunderstand the functionality but at the time i was still learning? Only until the update i realized myself i used the wrong method. Please learn to think before you speak or type in this case. Trolling is really not welcome :)

Cheers

Byte

voogru

Quoted from Bury.

I doubt they removed it without good reason, valve has publically commended the prophunt people for creating a fun game mode, I doubt they would cut something out they enjoy themselves. Probably just another noob mistake on their end that they will put back soon, don’t fret.

Here is my argument for that, PropHunt used this feature. If Valve had this policy in effect before PropHunt was around, would PropHunt have ever came into existence?

PropHunt came as an idea, from what I understand, by a programmer trying to just figure out how to change a players model, since TF2 picks the players model client side.

Second, the workarounds they implemented (which are only useful for PropHunt) are causing client crashes as if the current version of the time of this post. They mentioned they fixed them but theres no way to know until the next update. They added a cool function that allows the setting of the players model, but models won’t animate when set with this function, limiting the value of this function pretty much to just PropHunt.

The plug-ins that relied on this functionality pretty much cannot be fixed unless valve goes ahead and implements special cases for every plug-ins use of the feature, already the PropHunt turned out to be more work than they figured because of the client crash and I’m sure the last thing they want to be doing is trying to make 3rd party plug-ins work.

In their own game, they broken their own partyhats and the rendering of unlocks in recorded demos.

Last edited by voogru,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2