Forum

rates, cl_interp, interp_ratio....

Created 18th October 2008 @ 19:56

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

Turtles

As I Spy/Sniper/Scout I’m pretty sure setting these correctly would help me out a little.

I currently play with
rate “25000”
cl_updaterate “66”
cl_cmdrate “66”

I don’t have the best of net connections and on a good day ping around 50ms to UK servers.

Now, regarding cl_interp and cl_ interp_ratio I have read that cl_interp should be set to cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate. AFAIK, cl_interp_ratio should be set to either 1 or 2. I’ve read a bit of the Valve wiki but found it all pretty confusing >.<

So basically, what do you guys suggest and should cl_interp_ratio be 1 or 2….

Or alternatively do you play at default rates?

Any help much appreciated :)

Wiiking

i know nothing about this but update & cmdrate should be at 101..?

SfynX

T2P

cl_interp 0.01
cl_interp_ratio 1

always use these wheni start tf2 if u keep the ratio as 2 its just the same as not entering the interp ratio in any case, e.g. cl_interp 0.01 would get me round 22.7ms responce, but if u have ratio as 1 itl probs go to 15.2

ratio fo 2 does nothing for me

AnAkkk

cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate are MAX 66 on TF2 because the tickrate of ALL servers is 66. A server which tell you that it’s tick 100 is lying.

Put cl_interp_ratio on 1.

Then set your cl_interp to 0.0152
(1/66=0.0152)

Now check the net_graph if you have a lot of drops in your cl_updaterate (second line on the right).
It should be almost always 66/s on a match server.

If it’s dropping a lot, then you’ll probably have interpolation problems (lagguy player models).
If you do have those interpolation problems, you can lower cl_updaterate (which will automatically lower cl_interp) or you can set your cl_interp_ratio on 1.5 and see if it’s better. If not, lower your cl_updaterate.

Redman350

[FB]

i use:
cl_updaterate 50
cl_cmdrate 50

Problem with using updaterate of 66 is that if your frames drop below 66 fps then you will start to choke, causing bad hitreg, as I, and everyone who has ever been in vent with me, knows ^^

So if you can ALWAYS keep your fps above 66, then updaterate 66 is the way to go, otherwise drop it to whatever your frames drop to, the minimum being 50 by the etf2l config.

AnAkkk

Client FPS only affects your cl_cmdrate, not your cl_updaterate.

It is Server’s FPS affecting your cl_updaterate.

Turtles

Thanks Anakin. I’ll try that out later today and let you know how I get on :)

Turtles

ok, with
cl_updaterate “66”
cl_cmdrate “66”
cl_interp “0.0152”
cl_interp_ratio “1”

on mpuktf2.pickup servers it is great.

However I still need to edit it for playing public. When I play on public it is not as smooth although the cl_updaterate on the net_graph doesn’t usually drop. How would I bind it to a key so that I had one set for public play and another for matches?

AnAkkk

What do you mean by “not as smooth”. Lagguy models?

Turtles

Yeah, laggy models and just generally laggy :p

but it’s fine on match servers….

Also on the netgraph my lerp is in orange and stays at 16.7. Is that ok?

AnAkkk

It should say 15.2, if it says 16.7 it’s because the server have a sv_maxupdaterate of 60 instead of 66.

If models are lagguy, try cl_interp_ratio 1.5, that’ll give you a higher interp and should fix it.

Redman350

[FB]

@ AnAkIn:

If the server fps is over 66, and you request 66 packets (with updaterate 66) then the server will always try and send you 66 packets.
But if your frames are below 66 then your PC can not process all the packets, since 1 packet = 1 frame, so it will start to choke the packets until your frames are sufficient to handle 66 again.

This is my understanding of how it works anyway.

Turtles

Ok, on almost all servers I’ve tried my lerp has been 22.7 or similar.

On mptf2.pickup servers there has been some lag with updaterate not dropping below 66. This is with cl_interp_ratio 1 and 1.5

On public server there has been some lag with updaterate dropping below 66. With cl_interp_ratio 1 and 1.5

Other settings that have remained constant:
rate “25000”
cl_updaterate “66”
cl_cmdrate “66”
cl_interp “0.0152”

Should I be looking to drop the updaterate to improve performance?

How would I set it so that autoexec are bound to a key so I can use one for matches with the other used for public play?

Thanks for you help :)

crs

Hej :)

Are these values okay so far or is there anything to improve? (Sorry for the lame image :/)

http://www.abload.de/img/unbenannt1c1.jpg

cl_interp 0.01 makes me have ping 8ms (showfps 2)
cl_interp 0.0152 makes me have ping 10ms – 12ms (showfps 2) :/

Regards.

Turtles

Ok, on match servers everything is pretty much sorted out. However I’m having problems on 24 man public servers.

With the basic
rate “25000”
cl_updaterate “66”
cl_cmdrate “66”

I get lag.

With
rate “25000”
cl_updaterate “66”
cl_cmdrate “66”
cl_interp_ratio “1.5” (or 1)
cl_interp “0.0152”

I get lag.

So I tried dropping the cl_updaterate down to 45 and I’m still getting lag :(

I think it may just be my poor internet connection but if you have any ideas Anakin, or others, then please share them!

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »