Forum

Multi core rendering + i7 + win7

Created 9th February 2010 @ 16:41

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Akill

Hey guys, i got a new setup this week. I noticed that TF2 recommends disabling multi core rendering, even though my cpu has multiple cores. After testing it briefly i noticed that with it disabled i get a significant framerate boost in the range of 150-250 whilst when it is enabled i average 90-150.

Just a heads up in case anyone else has wondered about this. Is it incompatibility with windows 7? i7 cpu’s? or do i carry my curse of having fucked up pc’s?

heres full specs in case anyone can relate or perhaps enlighten me more on this issue:
i7 920 @ default speeds
6gig ram
ati hd5770

note: i couldnt care less for gaining more than the 150+ that im currently getting (and it brings a tear to my eye to finally see what tf2 looks like when m0reless), but im intrigued at the result of the settings

Mark

Phase

I read on the steam forums that a lot of people have problems with the i7 920.

flushy

P.O.P

yum yum i7

alfa

I7 works fine for me…350 fps on max settings with multicore enabled and all that stuff

Not sure on fps difference but they don’t drop below my refreshrate either way with an i5 so…meh?

Pyle

i7 works fine here also… np.

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

its your magic virus akill, youve already turned you pro pc into an ak47 with batterypack!@!!

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from alfa

I7 works fine for me…350 fps on max settings with multicore enabled and all that stuff

srsly? I only get around 100fps max settings, with a 5850.

iQue

keso

Turn off hyperthreading, it’s crap for games anyway

SfynX

T2P

since this is a quite heavily modified source code not every processor runs smoothly. i wouldnt be worried really as long as your getting over 80 fps on a 32/24man full servr.

Pyle

Quoted from rtan

[…]

srsly? I only get around 100fps max settings, with a 5850.

Buy nvidia :) GTX 295 for example will give you the 350+ fps with everything maxed out ( except resolution ), didnt test above 1680 x 1050.

sickless

fnx.simrai

Quoted from alfa

The same, but my video card is ati radion 4870 vapor-x, i7-920 @ 2,67Ghz, 6gb ram

SfynX

T2P

Quoted from Pyle

[…]

Buy nvidia :) GTX 295 for example will give you the 350+ fps with everything maxed out ( except resolution ), didnt test above 1680 x 1050.

waste of more cash. plus theyre hard to come by nowadays. since source is cpu based then it defeats the option to simply buy an expensive gpu. make sure that youve set the options too mulicore and you should be fine.

Pyle

true, just giving an option here.

gryzor

Quoted from iQue

Turn off hyperthreading, it’s crap for games anyway

This is the truth. Multiple physical CORES does not have any (negative) impact on games, hyperthreading is another story all together though. HT enabled is quite lovely when rendering stuff, but “just” having four cores gives you “good enough” rendering-speeds, while also not having a negative impact on games. Mutlicore-rendering, which is a software-setting in contrast to the above, has never worked very well in source-games for some reason. It crashes on some architectures / setups / combinations, gives worse / better performance when actually working on others.

General rule-of-thumb would be to turn off HT, see if multicore-rendering improves your framerates and if it does — keep your fingers crossed your game won’t crash every 2-3 hours. Some strange people also like to use tools to forcibly load hl2.exe onto a single core and set the task to “real-time” when launching the game. Try that if you want to squeeze the last drop out of your CPU.

Last edited by gryzor,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »