Forum

State of competitive gaming in Team Fortress 2

Created 5th September 2008 @ 12:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Waebi

‹Con›

Just have to flame a tiny bit, me there :P

B2T: The comp gaming *is there*, maybe you’ve flamed in my thread too, I dont care. It evolved and *DUDE WTF*, there are 190 teams in an *active competition* on etf2l. That’s around 1200-1500 ACTIVE players, only on etf2l. (oh, and the nation’s cup and bball and soldier 1v1…) And now this, feel free to quote:

It might be that TF2 was not intended to be a COMPETITIVE game, but the fact that it has a scene makes it important enough. Without a comp scene, many games would be dead. Heck, who is playing CS 1.6? I mean wtf, lame graphics, many hackers and some uber pros who shoot anyone around… The game LIVES thanks to the comp scene, and that’s good. TF2 is *different* from this. The comp scene is not as big as in other games, but they are there, and if you disregard it, you fail as epic as no one before.

edit: i love the steam forums. Maybe i’ll get myself a ban once and keep on flaming then. :D

Gaarulf

UP|

OMG! UR GUNNA SHANGE PUB PLAY!!!!! GO PLAY QUAKE OR CS CUZ TF2 IS PUBLIC ONLY!!!!!!!! UR RUINIG MY GAME!!!!!

RedCore

i hope this was irnoic… ^^
srsly: is it possible to code a competitive gaming mod for tf2?
like et_pro for et (enemy territory)

Gaarulf

UP|

Yes, read the whole thread and you’ll see that my post was camled down in comparission to many other.

It’s just basic commands we need, and everyone think we are going to make 6v6 1dl 1ml 2cl for pubs.

Ino

dp.
dp.

Excellent write up by Rebeli!
If it impresses the valve guys open up one of those online petitions, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of attention by all competitive players.

Netsky

in fact I read this, and I totally agree with him. there may be serveraly points which you could discuss like the sniper shouldn’t have a damage output of 175max (bodyshot), because you kill a demo with a bit of aim… maybe 170dmg so you have to aim for the head if you want to kill him… but it’s only a detail…

Waebi

‹Con›

OMG MY THREAD GOT LOCKZ0RD CANT FLAME ANYMORE

*cough* lol at them, they cant stand hard facts, even if i sum’d them up nicely.

Stealthy

wizzo

Slightly off topic. Dont wanna hi-jack this thread. I use to believe this game was growing competitively in a very positive way. But im rethinking this thought alot. For example look at the upcoming lan PCgamer on the 27th-28th. 1st prize £7500 and a total prize pool of £15,000. Sooo- i decided to do alittle research with the ongoing online qualifiers for the PCgamer lan right now. 26 teams signed up for the qualifiers(not a bad number) So i decided to find out, how many teams are definately going to the lan in the UK. I asked atleast 80% of the teams in the qualifiers and only 3 are offically booked and 2 teams are maybes. I feel bad going to a lan with a higher prize pools than CSS and COD4 and they have 10x more teams signed up for the lan than tf2. Its almost embarrassing. The future of tf2 competitively is looking grim and then you have that steam topic that brings up alot of points.

Stealthy

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

Would have to agree with the above. Didnt realise so many had pulled out. on the plus side, if any team can manage to get there they’re almost guranteed £900 if they can play at an almost div2 or above level! lol.

Stealthy

wizzo

I think at the end of the day the choice of pcgamer delivering this sort of lan straight after an i-event is such a bad move and takes place at the end of september, please state of im wrong but arent like half of “pro”/serious/Competitive gamers are students in University/College. I also think it boils down to the lan location aswell. For example take alook at how many UK based teams their are for tf2 signed up for etf2l season 3- 7 uk teams, and atleast half of that number are mainly fun based none serious teams. The tf2 community in the UK is completely dire. I think the conclusion is that this PCGamer lan is going to kill the opportunity of tf2 becoming a lan game. I think this will effect alot of Multigaming organisations and lan event organisers when planning for the future of tf2 competivitely. I’m not slating tf2 as a whole i love the game and think it has a bucket load of potential but i think we’ll find the executation of this event is going to knock tf2 a few steps backwards rather than fowards.

Arnold

DAKKA

Random damage removal in tournament mode ftw!
if they would remove the random damage this game could become so much more interesting in a competitive sense.

and the public players won’t be affected cause it would only affect the tournament mode.
quite simple really.

There’s actually no reason not to do it.

Evil

Agree with Stealthy tbh

light

tf2 would be better off if PC gamer had sponsored the next 3 i series events or summat ;D

Waebi

‹Con›

That’s what i said :(
The “pro” TF2 scene is free advert for the game. If you/they fuck it up, then we all will suffer from it, VALVe will think like “uh well, why do they need it if they fail so hard” :P

tbh the tf2 scene is very european based instead of country based. Therefore there should be more attention to put money in competitive scene instead of a lan scene.

Yes i believe this game can become good in competitive play, No i do not believe big commercial lans will set foot on the ground because the community is to small and to european based.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »