Forum

cp_glacier, a gravelpit style map in a winter theme

Created 8th July 2009 @ 03:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5

cheee

fa»
[SpA]

I will never defend B with my team
as long as it so open (sniper) and so many deadly ice water traps.

So imo it’s fail creating a map where both points (A&B) could be defended at the same level.

Next point which is even more critical:
Why is always so much time added to fill the 6-min?
if you cap A after 1 min you get 1 min, if you cap after 4 min you get 4 min?
Why not like gpit always 3 min for a point?

It’ simply unfair.
Lets say Team X caps A after 1 min, B after 5 min and still has 6 min to cap C.
Team Y caps A after 1 min, B after 1 min and also only has 6 min to cap C?
It’ simply unfair.
What if Team Y fails in 6 min to cap C? They lost! But on gpit they would have 4 more min, because they capped B 4 min faster.
It’ simply unfair.

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

added mirrors:
bzip2: http://www.nocrits.com/maps/cp_glacier_rc.bsp.bz2
zip: http://www.nocrits.com/maps/cp_glacier_rc.zip

cheee

fa»
[SpA]

Add:

So atm it’s a fail map tbh.
Hope yo can and will fix it.

Tom

[Ci]

Huge fps drop with the addition of snow, though I guess it can’t be helped with my old pc.
It’s good to know snipers can no longer abuse the fence.
Still too many medkits for my taste, I don’t mind them when playing this on a pub with the lack of medics but for this to be a competitive map it’s just too much.

Acegikmo

-disco-

I will never defend B with my team
as long as it so open (sniper) and so many deadly ice water traps.

It’s just as open for both teams. Both teams have the same sniper oppurtunities, especially now that I made it so BLU can’t shoot through the fence on the bridge.
I’ve seen a few competitive plays on this map and they defended B pretty well.

So imo it’s fail creating a map where both points (A&B) could be defended at the same level.

How can you be so close-minded?
I am trying to create something new, not just visually, but gameplay wise as well. In gravelpit, A is easier to capture, whereas B is harder. It’s really a shame that there isn’t much gameplay going on in an area that’s basically one third of the map. An additional aspect of a map where both points are equally defendable, is that there are more tactics involved, especially for the blue team. For example, juggling between the points can be a good way of dispersing the red defense so that blue can push through the defense on one of the points.

Next point which is even more critical:
Why is always so much time added to fill the 6-min?
if you cap A after 1 min you get 1 min, if you cap after 4 min you get 4 min?
Why not like gpit always 3 min for a point?
It’ simply unfair.
Lets say Team X caps A after 1 min, B after 5 min and still has 6 min to cap C.
Team Y caps A after 1 min, B after 1 min and also only has 6 min to cap C?
It’ simply unfair.
What if Team Y fails in 6 min to cap C? They lost! But on gpit they would have 4 more min, because they capped B 4 min faster.
It’ simply unfair.

If team Y caps both A and B in one minute, clearly they’re doing a better job than the other team. If they managed to capture those with that ease, they should be able to do the same for cap C. However, I see how this could be an issue. I’ll consider changing the times for the next rc.

cheee

fa»
[SpA]

If they managed to capture those with that ease, they should be able to do the same for cap C. However, I see how this could be an issue. I’ll consider changing the times for the next rc.

The real problem is the system used atm.
If a team is very strong on C, they should simply give up the point (A or B) if it could be critical (like 3vs3 after 3 died on both sites) because they dont get an disadvantage if they can hold C 6 min long, with the gpit system (3 min for a point) they would have to fear that the team might get 10 min for attacking C, because of the lack of hard defending the earlier points.

If you will stay with the system its a fail map.
If you would change the system it could be an awesome map:
Why not unlock B after A is capped?
That would be more like dustbowl, ok, but it would be much more interesting.
And it should only played once not twice.

It was always the largest failure of gpit imo (but it’s from VALVe which means a public map it the first place).

Acegikmo

-disco-

Right now, the map works great on pubs. Changing it to work great for competive players without ruining the map for casual players is impossible.
If anything, I’ll have to release two different versions of glacier, one for competitive play and one for pubs.

Right now, the map works great on pubs. Changing it to work great for competive players without ruining the map for casual players is impossible.
If anything, I’ll have to release two different versions of glacier, one for competitive play and one for pubs.

Dude, pubbers play 2fort… Your map looks cool, which is probably enough for 95% of them to love it.

cheee

fa»
[SpA]

looks great +1
Seriously I dont care if the map is great on public, and if you dont wanna create only one map, I have no problem if you create two versions (1 pub and 1 comp).
I remember the time we played cp_pro_granary.
I just hope you take into account what we (comp) say.

Acegikmo

-disco-

I do consider all of the suggestions you all post here, and I’d like to make a single map for both player groups. (Casual and Competitive players)
But if it isn’t possible to balance for both, I’d rather have a map suited for pubs rather than a map suited for competitive play, since the competitive players are only a fraction of all TF2 players.
I’ll probably try making an internal test with the gravelpit setup (No max time limit, 3 minutes added per point) to see how it works out, but I can’t promise anything.
Hopefully it’ll work well :)

Anathema

It’s that acegikmo? Awesome!
How have you been mate? “Skyliner” here :)
Added you on steam.
EDIT: You don’t have your steam ID in your profile, add me (click my avatar)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

If team Y caps both A and B in one minute, clearly they’re doing a better job than the other team. If they managed to capture those with that ease, they should be able to do the same for cap C. However, I see how this could be an issue. I’ll consider changing the times for the next rc.

You factor out luck or starts. Maybe the defending team has very nice strats for defending C? Maybe the attackers just got good attack strats for A &B but not for C. This is why time should be added, and not set to a certain number.

wer

tfortress.no

Played it in the FB summer cup.

The layout itself is ok, but it fails nonetheless.

– Everyone on my team had bad fps, down to 30-40 in many areas
– B point is a sniper fest
– B point is full of holes which will kill u if u fall into them. Interesting in theory, but when ur players get hit by one single shot of the FaN and knocked into it, it becomes a nightmare. That happened several times.
They were also anoying without FaN scouts shooting u into them, players kept constantly falling into them :/

Fix fps-issues, rework point B.
and fix the time given when u capture

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

Haven’t played it in 6v6 yet, but have done some running through it. First off, I’d like to say it looks great, and I think it’s a good idea to have two equally balanced points, because it opens for more various strategies.

But I do believe that falling down and instadying should be reworked due to FAN/explosions and just pure luck in that regard. I think instead it’d be better to have it do 10-20 damage per second, but double every sec so people will have to get up fast, but not instantly lose all hope.

Krakyn

rEJ

The time limit not exceeding 6 mins is a massive drawback, doesn’t reward good play at all. Having no limit on the clock works fine on gravel pit I see no reason not to have it on here.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5