Forum

Windows 7

Created 31st May 2009 @ 14:45

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »

wiz

I installed win7 yesterday and had a bit of a problem. While running xp my cpu was overclocked to make sure I get a stable 50 fps during games. In win7, overclocking increases the fps, but the game seems all choppy in server and much too fast offline (I mean actually too FAST – scout runs faster etc :x). If anyone has a fix for this it would be much appreciated.

AL

-HH²-

That sounds really…odd. Are you using software to overclock? Maybe a compatibility issue?

Uberhomer

[Ci]
Ci^H

I installed win7 yesterday and had a bit of a problem. While running xp my cpu was overclocked to make sure I get a stable 50 fps during games. In win7, overclocking increases the fps, but the game seems all choppy in server and much too fast offline (I mean actually too FAST – scout runs faster etc :x). If anyone has a fix for this it would be much appreciated.

I had a similar problem and I solved it by disabling Multicore Rendering again (which worked fine under Vista x64).

n00ne

I’m not really a genius in stuff like this , so i wanted to ask if it’s possible to just trial w7 for a while and then get my current windows back how it was untouched?

oblivion

You’ll have to make a parition of about 25gb just for windows 7, or else it will wipe everything else as it requires a clean install…

easiest way is to install it on separate hard drive with nothing on it, or else you have to go through parititioning

n00ne

Don’t know what that is , and am Not in a mood to fuck everything up. Better safe then sorry , i guess.

Vista > W7 ?

wiz

That sounds really…odd. Are you using software to overclock? Maybe a compatibility issue?

I am using software since onboard oc is bugged. However I use gigabyte’s official utility which worked 100% fine under windows xp.

I had a similar problem and I solved it by disabling Multicore Rendering again (which worked fine under Vista x64).

Didn’t help me, using win7 32bit.
Thanks for your help guys though!
I’m considering going back to windows xp if I dont get this fixed soon. Anyone has any other ideas? :(

eoN^

Don’t know what that is , and am Not in a mood to fuck everything up. Better safe then sorry , i guess.

Vista > W7 ?

Feck no, w7 runs about 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% faster and looks a billion % better, also hopefully they will implement the thing they have done with Live Messenger for other things to (it would be amazing with steam :X)

But yeah, more fps, smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooother and sexier.

eoN^

I’m not really a genius in stuff like this , so i wanted to ask if it’s possible to just trial w7 for a while and then get my current windows back how it was untouched?

Also is it not possible to just dual boot them? (Someone with more tech knowledge please explain how if its possible :X, my brother did it with win7 and linux)

Yes it is possible as oblivion said. Partition ~25GB and install the os on that partition like you would any os. When the pc turns on it gives you a boot menu so you can choose XP / Win 7 as I currently have :>

eoN^ what did you mean about live messenger? I can’t remember noticing any differences :£

n00ne

If someone could walk me (us) through that partitioning thing , would be awesome. Or atleast link to a tutorial online. kthnx

Oh edit: Found this for Windows Vista users: http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/how-to-partition-in-windows-vista-extend-and-shrink/ , might help

Skyride

DUCS

Bassically I’ll do an explanation but tbh, If you can’t work out how to do it after reading this then I wouldn’t bother.

Your hard drive as you see it has 1 partition. This 1 partition takes up the whole drive and is probably NTFS (assuming you aren’t running Windows 95 or linux). This is simply a container for all the files on your hard drive. Think of it as spacers on a bookshelf. However as with a bookshelf, theres no reason you can’t have multiple partitions. So for example if you have a 500GB hard drive, you could easily have 2x 250GB partitions. Both of these would have seperate letters in My Computer. If one was filled the entire 250GB then, thats it, you can’t just let it spill onto the other partition.

So, at the moment Windows is installed on your single 500GB partition. You need to use a tool to re-size it though. Theres a number of ways of doing but my best advice would be to use a Ubuntu Live CD and use the partitioning tool (known as GParted) to re-size it to whatever size you want. I highly discourage anyone from using the windows built in utility to re-size the partition that windows is installed on. Theres numerous guides on doing this so Google is your friend here.

The after that, its simply a case of installing windows as normal and telling it to use this spare 250GB of space as a second partition (which is easily done).

eoN^

If someone could walk me (us) through that partitioning thing , would be awesome. Or atleast link to a tutorial online. kthnx

Oh edit: Found this for Windows Vista users: http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/19/how-to-partition-in-windows-vista-extend-and-shrink/ , might help

its VERY simple, honestly just run the cd etc and its easy.

eoN^

eoN^ what did you mean about live messenger? I can’t remember noticing any differences :£

Open up start menu and click the little > beside it and it makes it soooo cool :X

example: http://i29.tinypic.com/ekgqbq.jpg

Edit, you can get the same effect by clicking on the icon on the task bar thingy and dragging it up.

Weyzer

[PSG]

This is like an extension to the last post above me by skyride.

If you have a let’s say 500GB hard drive, and you have all of that on one single partition, like C:, then you will have to shrink it.
Partitions are like C,D,E etc.

From personal experience I can recommend “Easeus Partition manager home edition”, you can google it, it’s completely free, it works perfectly!!
Using it, I shrank my 750GB C: drive to 700. Then I created a D: drive from the 50GB I freed up.
Then, after having downloaded Windows7 in a .iso file, I used a image burner tool for my DVD-drive and burnt it to a disc. I booted from the disk and chose my D-drive to install to.

For a “tech noob” this might be too complicate to be appealing, but it’s not that hard if done carefully and the right way.

Just remember, to shrink my drive by 50GB, it took like 2-3 hours.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »