Forum

Dead Ringer Ban Discussion

Created 25th October 2016 @ 15:18

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 11 Next »

extrasolar

officer
TC

Hey everyone,

So after the recent controversy surrounding the banning of the DR for Season 11, I was wondering if we could all have a discussion surrounding the unlock and the impact that banning it will have on the HL metagame, as well as Spy play in general.

I personally think banning it is a positive thing since the unlock was extremely disruptive and unfun to play against amongst other reasons, but I wish to keep the OP short and concise so I’ll reserve other points until further on in the discussion, and I’d love to hear what other players have to say across all divisions; reasons for banning it as well as allowing it.

I know it’s a bit early to draw conclusions on the ban since the season isn’t underway yet, but I’d love to get some early remarks from the player base :)

Discuss away!

unu

I’m pro ban as long as razorback gets banned.

Goreston

It’s a dumb decision that’s pretty obviously come about because one player is really good with it.

I do think the DR is a little strong right now. It probably doesn’t need the speed boost and the damage reduction and the increased cloak regen and the built in spy-cicle, but it definitely doesn’t need a ban. Was everyone concerned that the current meta wasn’t sniper-oriented enough?

extrasolar

officer
TC

Quoted from Goreston

It’s a dumb decision that’s pretty obviously come about because one player is really good with it.

I do think the DR is a little strong right now. It probably doesn’t need the speed boost and the damage reduction and the increased cloak regen and the built in spy-cicle, but it definitely doesn’t need a ban. Was everyone concerned that the current meta wasn’t sniper-oriented enough?

Skill isn’t exclusive to DR, it’s mostly in the gun. I can see where you’re coming from but the entire playstyle is enabled by the DR itself, not necessarily one player’s use of it.

Fact is if a league doesn’t ban it, it will not get nerfed.

/discussion

uubers

gg
gandhi is

i agree with the ban. for a spy to counter the sniper dead ringer is not necessary. if a spy wants to sit behind enemy lines and harrass the sniper he can still do that while using the invis watch. the difference now will be that it will require some skill to get behind and stay alive instead of just relying on an unlock which makes u take no damage and run as fast as a scout. also i think the cooldown is too short. if u pickup a medium ammo pack the cooldown is almost refreshed…

Burn

Banning the DR only drives the league further away from the actual game. If we’re to get more signups for highlander seasons, this is the wrong way. Even though it’s strong and annoying, it’s not broken like bazaar bargain or vita-saw. If a weapon makes a class easier to play/master, it’s not broken. The reasoning behind banning weapons should not be to make the game better or more comfortable for the top skill level players only, but to make it better for the whole league.

We didn’t ban beggars either :P

Extrasolar don’t “/discussion” a thread you started, after 3 posts :-))

Steve!

S-O

We’ll live and there is valid reasons for both sides…

But I still fail to see what’s there to gain from this for the meta.

You’ll just have more passive spies sitting behind you who’ll just be harder to find rather than harder to kill

Teams will no longer have to worry about what the spy is running, it’ll always be invis. Look forward to even more spychecking.

No DR means spy has less impact on direct flank fights. If you can’t take the flank on koth or 5cp, your combo will struggle more with pushing.

Less flank pressure means a more dominant sniper on koth maps.

ergo more sniper dominance, nay

Last edited by Steve!,

Chronos

BMS

I agree with the dr ban as it is by far the most effective way for spies to play right now. Many spies that have aim and nothing else can do work with this loadout and it’s seen and is over powered in every division. I also think the razorback should be banned to balance the meta. All but 1 member of the ugc plat council wanted to ban both weapons for this ugc season

Feri

MF

Quoted from Burn

Banning the DR only drives the league further away from the actual game. If we’re to get more signups for highlander seasons, this is the wrong way. Even though it’s strong and annoying, it’s not broken like bazaar bargain or vita-saw. If a weapon makes a class easier to play/master, it’s not broken. The reasoning behind banning weapons should not be to make the game better or more comfortable for the top skill level players only, but to make it better for the whole league.

We didn’t ban beggars either :P

Pretty much

Goreston

Quoted from extrasolar

Discuss away!

Quoted from extrasolar

/discussion

Glad we got this cleared up.

Grenja

If razorback is banned DR should be banned.

Though I’ve always been vocally against razorbacks banning.

Toast

WEED
S-O

Quoted from Chronos

I agree with the dr ban as it is by far the most effective way for spies to play right now.

This is so wrong it hurts. You have no idea of how the class works, and that you have had any involvment in deciding for this season makes me want to stab myself. It’s not a better watch, it’s not made for countering snipers and it doesn’t require any more or less thinking than invis watch in any way. Anyone who says that hasnt played the class.

And suprise, suprise: The reason presented to ban this is “it’s annoying” among other reasons that weren’t mentioned. I agree with Ubers and goreston, it should not be as it is now and Im kinding hoping someone from valve played around with the dead ringer and will change it for the pyro update., but that is no reason to ban it. It’s almost equivalent to banning gunboats in respect to how much playstyle it destroys.

Last edited by Toast,

Goreston

Quoted from Toast

[…]You have no idea of how the class works, and that you have had any involvment in deciding for this season makes me want to stab myself.

Only stab Toast has ever gone for, amirite?

Rick May

Quoted from Toast

[…]

This is so wrong it hurts. You have no idea of how the class works, and that you have had any involvment in deciding for this season makes me want to stab myself. It’s not a better watch, it’s not made for countering snipers and it doesn’t require more thinking than invis watch in any way. Anyone who says that hasnt played the class.

And suprise, suprise: The reason presented to ban this is “it’s annoying” among other reasons that weren’t mentioned. I agree with Ubers and goreston, it should not be as it is now and Im kinding hoping someone from valve played around with the dead ringer and will change it for the pyro update., but that is no reason to ban it. It’s almost equivalent to banning gunboats in respect to how much playstyle it destroys.

listening to u defending dr is almost as retarded as listening to a pyro defend rs

Goreston

Quoted from extrasolar

[…]

Skill isn’t exclusive to DR, it’s mostly in the gun. I can see where you’re coming from but the entire playstyle is enabled by the DR itself

It’s mostly in the gun.

The entire playstyle is enabled by the DR.

Pick one.

Quoted from extrasolar

[…]Fact is if a league doesn’t ban it, it will not get nerfed.

The degreaser. The black box. The sticky launcher. The righteous bison. The entire heavy class. That’s off the top of my head, but I’m sure there are more.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 11 Next »