Forum

What's the deal with teams using discord?

Created 6th October 2015 @ 15:32

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Silver Tosspot

(°)>

I’m getting more and more curious about this new software as I’ve noticed both full tilt and TLR are using it. What reasons are there for using it (from a tf2 team’s pov)? Is it easier to communicate with the team or is it something else?

Bloodis

(Legend)
(๑╹ω╹๑ )

I started using it as well about a week ago, while it is still in beta it’s very lightweight and provides both IP and DDOS protection, and also individual volume control which even Mumble doesn’t offer for example.

Best of all it also is completely simple and free to try, but the browser version sucks so you should immediately download the desktop version.

I would assume that somebody else is better at explaining what is it able to do and why people should use it more even in its current state.

TurboTabs

(Classy)
Op4

A while ago, there was a tiny controversy about miscommunication that happened when organising the “Gimmicks, Guts, Glory” cup.

TFTV staff began talks about setting up better communication between prem teams, north america invite, tournament organisers and behind-the-scenes production members. We choose Discord as we’ve worked with something like it called Slack but discord is aimed more towards gamers and they don’t have a message limit like slack so we thought it would be perfect for the players.

If you don’t know what it is; think of it like a modern irc. They can even organise scrims or keep in touch with their teammates from there, request/offer mercs, communicate with production/tournament organisers. It has saved text messaging unlike irc, and it alerts you if you’re mentioned/needed via easy commands. It can also be used on mobile phones, desktop background app or a website page so its a lot more accessible and feature filled than steam but a lot more approachable than irc.

We began work on it before i55. We even used it for the lan tf2 tournament so some of you will probably be familiar with it. We’re using Discord again for the new etf2l season and already have everyone set-up on there (except knoxxx. No matter how much I spam the links at him)
and everyone has been using it somewhat actively.

I could set up a public comp tf2 for the europe scene if people are interested.

MoistPenguin

TC

Having a quick look at it it does look very smooth. However I havent actually played a game with it yet, however it doesn’t really offer much for me over mumble especially given that I am already established with mumble.

TurboTabs

(Classy)
Op4

We don’t use the voice client part at all, the bit we’re only interested in is the text part

Silver Tosspot

(°)>

That was an interesting read, though I wanna know what uses teams have for it. 

I can imagine it’s useful for announcements and discussions within teams but I wanna hear what people say about it.

Last edited by Silver Tosspot,

Would be interesting if it could be used like #tf.wars but to find actual teams instead of the 50/50 split of mixes/teams. A lot less hassle than adding leaders.

TurboTabs

(Classy)
Op4

Quoted from Silver Tosspot

That was an interesting read, though I wanna know what uses teams have for it. 

I can imagine it’s useful for announcements and discussions within teams but I wanna hear what people say about it.

Looking now I would say 40% looking for scrims, 20% pre-cast requests from production, 15% looking/offering mercs, 10% map talk, 5% talking to organisers of cups, 5% memes

As for the prem players feedback; most were impressed when they first signed up but haven’t heard much of their opinion of it since

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Quoted from TurboTabs

[…]

Looking now I would say 40% looking for scrims, 20% pre-cast requests from production, 15% looking/offering mercs, 10% map talk, 5% talking to organisers of cups, 5% memes

As for the prem players feedback; most were impressed when they first signed up but haven’t heard much of their opinion of it since

im not prem but this is 5/5

Ombrack

Top5rocket

ur not prem muuki, we don’t want your opinion

Add A Reply Pages: 1