Forum

Looking to turn public games into 'Team' oriented games

Created 5th July 2015 @ 09:16

Add A Reply Pages: 1

DarK

TL;DR: I’d like to get a group of people together that want to play fair, fun games on public servers with all of the communication of a competitive game, using in-game-chat, without any kind of commitment or games turning into a one sided/team stacking/server-emptying pubstomp. If interested, read the second and third paragraph from the bottom, and if still interested, add me, or just add me anyway after this TL;DR if it’s something you’d like to do.

About me:

I’ve been playing TF2 a little on and off over the last 4 years, but the last time I played the game regularly was around that long ago. I’ve been in a few competitive teams, made it to div5 medic/scout, but it’s been so long that I’m not sure that counts for anything any more. I’m now trying to get back into the game playing pubs, and I’d like to bring back something that I used to be a part of around 5 years ago.

The topic:

Back then, I used to be part of a gaming group that emphasized team play on a public server. They had their own server, encouraged the use of in game chat, alltalk off, random crits off, and much of the player base was composed of highly experienced public players and competitive players (div1 to div4 skill, as far as I remember). Players in a regular game would be around 40-50% our players, and the rest were randomers.

In a sentence, I’d describe it as being like playing 2 to 3 hours of competitive TF2 almost every night, until 2 months later, when everybody gradually just stopped playing. While it existed, it was one hell of an experience, and I’d like to bring that back in some way, shape or form.

Unfortunately, one thing I’ve noticed while playing public games is that nobody uses in game voice chat, and I think it’s because people don’t want to talk when no-one else is talking. I’m much the same: if I hear people talking tactics or just having conversations, I’ll attempt to join in, but if nobody does, I won’t be keen on speaking. It’s a catch-22 situation, and a really crappy one at that.

Objective:

So here’s how I’d like to do things. I’d like to get a group of like-minded people together who want to do the same, preferably a steam group so everyone can communicate with each other. We can send out announcements or events when we’d like to go onto a server with other people in the group. If we get 3 or less people together, we’re effectively forced to stack unless we want to start out by talking to public players, who may or may not listen or communicate back (if they do, yay!). If we get 4 or more, we can put equal numbers of people on each pub team that are willing to communicate, and get going from there.

The idea here, and our goal is to get other people (pub players) talking as well as us, communicating, and generally just working as a team, the way the game was intended to be played. The emphasis is on in game chat, not Mumble/TeamSpeak (unless we’re playing other games, which could happen if there’s a community, and if so, great).

If you read through all that, congrats :D and once again, if you’d like to do something along these lines, hit me up on Steam and we can get something going. Thanks.

Last edited by DarK,

Iller

tGa

Sounds like a good initiative. I like the idea.

Right now, the only people using mic on pubs are 6 year olds making annoying noices and such.

Last edited by Iller,

JMaxchill

TFTV
PBS

I’d be up for this :D

CHERRY

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/443952088709058457/4BEDAE8940272CE2CD5109D297A9573C689001BA/

When I saw someone on pub kill me with Sydney Sleeper and laught about it at first I felt humiliated and wanted to reply something bitter in the chat. I’m just a human.
Then I though – what the fuck? He killed me, surely he’s proud/happy, what does it matter that I usually play in more competitive environment?
I’m on pub right now and was evidently outplayed , crying about unlocks, spam everywhere on 24 slot servers, sightlines on Suijin would be just the most cringy thing ever.
Instead I replied with “that was nice”.
I thought about it for a bit and tried to be positive and get a team to cooperate after that with a good result instead of just trying to ‘stomp’ and play alone.
Maybe the reason for pubs being just pubs is because of peoples attitude?
I see sometimes comp players on there and they don’t talk at all, maybe that’s a problem as it takes just one to start something?

Lets not be elitist, encourage pubbers to try and talk and cooperate towards win and maybe one day they’ll start playing comp if they see PlayComp.tf in the nickname or we tell them about it.

EDIT: Actually it doesn’t matter cause MM is coming out.

Last edited by CHERRY,

DarK

Iller and JMaxChill, I’ve added you both on Steam.

CHERRY, your answer came out a little vague, so I tried adding you anyway, but your Steam list appears to be full. If you’d like to try adding me, feel free.

Add A Reply Pages: 1