Forum

Valve and Competitive TF2

Created 29th April 2015 @ 12:05

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Kemor

Quoted from dodgydogman

As long as they add skins for the competitively allowed weapons they will make money from comp tf2.

Look at CSGO. Shit dead game on release. They add weapons skins and matchmaking and now its quickly becoming the second biggest esport. The matchmaking basically doubled the active player base and then after the arms deal update the playercount has doubled every few months.

People didn’t like CSGO because it was a completely new game. 1.6ers were the main majorityt of the whiners, mostly because they had torelearn how to play the game. Neo did not drop from being a god to a pleb for no reason. And I do not deny that skins saved and helped it – but in my opinion, csgo would be quite successful even without them, but much later on. People would get used to it, new players wouldn’t whine cuz they didn’t play any other cs before.

Arund 90 percent of tf2 players are amebas playing on valve or other ffa servers. 10 percent is us – players who played 6v6. Valve adds matchmaking. What happens? MM turns into something much worse than lobbies. Servers and configs are suitable for 6v6, yes. But still, people will either whine cuz their fav weapon is banned and will never play it or they will not accept the fact that basic 6v6 team is made of 2x sold 2x scout 1x demo 1x med. No, one guy will sign up as scout but switch to pyro for entire game, finding a medic will be hard and some players will quit mid-game. Unless they create a great mm system – I do not see this as a good idea.

Last edited by Kemor,

nvc

If anyone hasn’t noticed, TF2 is still one of the bigger competitive games…

http://etf2l.org/etf2l/archives/275/

TF2’s problem has never been its number of players and/or teams, it’s the lack of prizemoney for anyone to actually take it seriously in today’s “esports” environment. Adding matchmaking won’t change that, people already play, but hopefully it’s a move in the right direction to Valve actually supporting competitive TF2… unless highlander… then what.

Tornf4lk

cc//

Quoted from nvc

If anyone hasn’t noticed, TF2 is still one of the bigger competitive games…

http://etf2l.org/etf2l/archives/275/

TF2’s problem has never been its number of players and/or teams, it’s the lack of prizemoney for anyone to actually take it seriously in today’s “esports” environment. Adding matchmaking won’t change that, people already play, but hopefully it’s a move in the right direction to Valve actually supporting competitive TF2… unless highlander… then what.

It’s still a step in the right direction though, the casual playerbase of tf2 is huge. If you can get those players to be interested in competitive you suddenly have a lot more people watching streams/ participating in tournaments. In the end this makes it more beneficial to sponsor events for the game. Let’s see where the matchmaking takes us, but it could still be huge if it’s done correctly.

dodgydogman

Panda

There’s no real alternative fps with matchmaking at the moment. When DOTA players and want to play something less punishing but in the same genre they try LoL and league players go to blizzards hots.

TF2 is less immidiately punishing than csgo and could definitely gain a lot of competitive players and esport traction for being the only alternative competitive team fps on the market.

I’m sure countless competitive players have at one point been at least curious about tf2, just not enough to make the leap into investigating the game. I know I used to watch counter strike source frag movies but never even played cs until matchmaking came out.

Last edited by dodgydogman,

byte

Tbh you guys n gals should just be grateful that this game has lasted this long, and will continue to do so, any additions to the game can only be a plus. Bring on the MM whether it’s 9vs9, 6vs6 or both or 12vs12 or some other weird shit.

Whether the input of new players coming in is from a poo game mode or a great game mode, more numbers in means more chance they see this 6vs6 mode or 9vs9 mode and so on…

Less words of dying or dead, I’d just be happy with how the community care about TF2!

Cheers

Byte

ducky

Most of the people saying that 6v6 is too complicated for pubbers and will stop them from entering matchmaking: There’s no proof that it will be included in the first place.

Ofc the chance of 6s making it in are there, but it’s nowhere near guarenteed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelPvdGskv4

^ This is a vlog of mana and extine, 2 of the muricans who went to valve and talked to the tf2 dev-people who’re planning to implement matchmaking.

To summarize its content:

– For valve matchmaking is a high priority item on their list
=> You can expect this to be implemented sooner than other previous updates

– Valve has shown interest in 9v9, but not the HL style where every class is only allowed once
=> More flexible classlimits to reproduce a pub-ish setting

– It’s not likely that there’s going to be multiple gamemodes to choose from when entering matchmaking (e.g. 9v9, 6v6, 4v4) since that would divide the userbase, take longer to find a match, generate additional costs and effort for maintaining different servers etc.
=> Most likely only one comp gamemode

– Valve does not plan to ban weapons, instead they want people to use these weapons in their matchmaking gamemode and give them feedback so that they can potentially rebalance them.
The only instance of them periodically restricting weapons is when they want people to use other weapons to see how these fare compared to the most commonly used items.
=> Active balancing process, hell yes boys.

– Valve plans to interact with the TF2 comp community to achieve the best for both worlds.
They have expressed their utmost interest in making TF2 as big of a competitive game as the other games out there (CS:GO, Dota?)

If the contents of this video are true then there’s a lot to look forward to, but only time will tell how it ends up being realized.

doks

Or how about people change their diapers and stop speculating ? :)

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from ducky

– Valve plans to interact with the TF2 comp community to achieve the best for both worlds.
They have expressed their utmost interest in making TF2 as big of a competitive game as the other games out there (CS:GO, Dota?)

I somehow find this hard to believe, if they truly want this, they would have started earlier, otherwise they are huge retards.

stephen

Let’s be honest, this has arisen because of the soon to be released over watch, they suddenly realised and was like fuck, we better finally add mm to tf2 or we are gonna look shit compared to it

ducky

Quoted from stephen

Let’s be honest, this has arisen because of the soon to be released over watch, they suddenly realised and was like fuck, we better finally add mm to tf2 or we are gonna look shit compared to it

That may or may not be the reasoning, but who cares?

We seem to be getting the attention of valve that we’ve wanted for so long, their motivations are rather irrelevant as long as they go through with their intentions.

Fuxx

REMOVE

The motivation is always relevant. The time, effort and thought put into the system depends on it. How they will be creating and maintaining match-making depends on what their goals actually are and this affects the quality.

“Hey, let’s do something that several players who actually thoroughly enjoy TF2 have been asking for years now. After all the work that has been done around competitive? They deserve it.”

vs

“A game that resembles ours is threatening to kill our cash cow. We can’t afford to lose our playerbase of 14 year olds with access to mommy’s credit card! Better add in a new feature or two to keep their interest.”

Now I’m in no position to know what their line of thought was, but I’m not terribly excited.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Big news causes pessimistic morons to come out of hiding apparently.

Last edited by Sideshow,

prof

A first person shooter that was released 8 years ago is still getting new features and updates. What’s not to love?

hawku

AYO

Quoted from prof

A first person shooter that was released 8 years ago is still getting new features and updates. What’s not to love?

If tf2 gets a great comp scene in the near future, wp young’uns, I was waiting 8 years since the age of 13 for this type of attention from valve, now I’m 21, with a job and kids to look after.

Thanks Obama.

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from ducky

– Valve has shown interest in 9v9, but not the HL style where every class is only allowed once
=> More flexible classlimits to reproduce a pub-ish setting

– It’s not likely that there’s going to be multiple gamemodes to choose from when entering matchmaking (e.g. 9v9, 6v6, 4v4) since that would divide the userbase, take longer to find a match, generate additional costs and effort for maintaining different servers etc.
=> Most likely only one comp gamemode

Here’s to hoping they stop burying their heads in the sand.
If friday’s fully charged reveals this to be truth I have little hope for the MM to benefit the competitive scene in any way.

Last edited by cmd,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »