Forum

How would you measure class perfomance in a game?

Created 10th December 2014 @ 09:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from stuntz

you cant have a formula for that kind of things, imagine this scenario you have a scout trolling around 4 people while preventing the point to be captured he died and did jack shit damage but sucessfully stalled 4 people from capping unting his team arrives, while he didnt do any damage he was still usefull in that situation. Its like having a spy cap in every round, while you dont do damage youre still being usefull

You can recognise that in the longer run with rounds won, for mixes.

Phnx

Quoted from Gentleman Jon

Defining stereotypical roles for classes then rating their stats based on it punishes people who play a class in an unorthodox but successful way.

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

w/l rate

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Phoenix, right, rounds won is the measure of success, then you work back from that to figure out the variables. This is what Jon has done. I think a hybrid method is best, to reduce the 9 games needed to spot the outlier scout who will be singlehandedly determining results in the meantime. More obviously in tf2center than tf2pickup.

Last edited by fraac,

Vitilumi

tbd

Logs are not enough. You simply cannot score classes based on logs, just like how you cannot fully judge one’s performance from their logs.

CHERRY

Quoted from Vitilumi

Logs are not enough. You simply cannot score classes based on logs, just like how you cannot fully judge one’s performance from their logs.

Logs contain much more information (like position) than what is displayed on logs.tf though

MS

0fo
0FO

You shit talk the player playing the class on the enemy team, and see if he’s able to come up with a response, if not, then you’re doing fine.

No but seriously, if you’re are trying to judge from the logs, as a Heavy you’l be looking at things like their Soldier/Scout/Heavy kills since the Soldier and Scout are often the ones rushing for your Medic. If you’re being killed by the enemy heavy more than he is killing you, then that means you’re being out positioned a lot. You also want to be focusing more on damage as a heavy, with the least deaths possible. But yeah, logs do not always show everything.

I remember playing a TF2C lobby with you not long ago in Mumble. I wouldn’t look too much in TF2C logs though, since most people there don’t even know what they are doing.

Last edited by MS,

Kengur

Quoted from MS

You shit talk the player playing the class on the enemy team, and see if he’s able to come up with a response, if not, then you’re doing fine.

No but seriously, if you’re are trying to judge from the logs, as a Heavy you’l be looking at things like their Soldier/Scout/Heavy kills since the Soldier and Scout are often the ones rushing for your Medic. If you’re being killed by the enemy heavy more than he is killing you, then that means you’re being out positioned a lot. You also want to be focusing more on damage as a heavy, with the least deaths possible. But yeah, logs do not always show everything.

I remember playing a TF2C lobby with you not long ago in Mumble. I wouldn’t look too much in TF2C logs though, since most people there don’t even know what they are doing.

Nice write up. How about doing one for your main spy? :D

Also these score raitings are mainly useful for ppl from lower skill levels (d5-6) or as a lobby balancing basis as I see it right now.

Last edited by Kengur,

Kengur

Quoted from MEGAMIDDIE

w/l rate

This is perhaps useful in the prediction sort of way, but is absolutely biased in case when people stack teams a lot. If you always join the stronger team you get more w/l but it doesn’t make you a better player.

This is one of the reasons that elo or msts is absolutely uninformative for this sort of thing.

Last edited by Kengur,

MS

0fo
0FO

Quoted from Kengur

[…]

Nice write up. How about doing one for your main spy? :D

With Spy, it’s a lot easier to measure their performance in logs, as the class is mainly about what picks they get. From looking at the classes that the spy has killed, you can judge their pick priorities, one Spy could get 23 kills, with not a single Medic pick, when the other Spy may only get 15 kills, but 5 of these kills being Medic picks, 3 of them being uber drops (this can also be found in the logs by looking into the round details log thingy), and the remaining 10 kills being classes such as Heavy/Demo/Sniper, this shows that the 2nd Spy had much better pick priorities.

But again, there are still some aspects of Spy that you can’t see from the logs.

For example: http://logs.tf/560067

While this Premiership level Spy failed to get any frags in this round, it can be argued that he was using the Cloak and Dagger, allowing him to keep watch on the enemy team and feed information to his own team about their positioning/uber charge percentage, which is very important on a map such as cp_gravelpit.

I’d say one of the best ways for lower level Spy mains to learn, would be to download STV demos from Premiership level matches and watch/learn from how the spies play there. A good Spy to watch is my boy Grenjabob.

Or you can just not give a FUCK about everything I just said and yolo gunspy with the dr/spycicle, but don’t get too cocky about your kills, you’ve probably not given your team as much comms/information as a non-gunspy would have.

Last edited by MS,

Selek

Dr. med.

Great text, MsAnimator!

Logs greatly favour the Dr. Ambassicle loadout, while a traditional style of play might seem weak in it. Even if you get a few Medic picks, it might have been in situations where it didn’t make much of difference. Or it might have been the greatest pick in the match. If you distract the combo while your Soldier bombs in an reaps the frags, it won’t show up in the logs at all, but you have helped greatly.

In the end, Spy is a support class. If you can do what your team needs most, you are doing your job. Strengthen your flank as Gunspy, be heavy on comms, annoy the enemy combo or suicide for crucial picks to open an opportunity for your team.

byte

An equation is possible, however the amount of variants and factors in the game would take a mammoth to cover but it’s very possible just a sheer amount of years needed.

Few variants that spring to mind:

– Map
– Terrain of where you are in the map
– Height / distance of where you are standing
– Height/ distance of how far you are from the enemy
– Class being played
– Class viable to switch to at the correct scenario
– Game mode
– Scenario mode
– Intentional game play
– Health
– Enemy Health
– Player knowing enemy health
– Player quantity on your team
– Player quantity against your team
– Uber / Kritz?
– Variance in class switching
– Capture points – how many have your team capped
– Capture points – how much a backcap % is on
– Capture points – quantity total to cap

+400 more variants I can think of that go through my head when I was playing this game at it’s highest D:

Gentlemen Jon fancy a challenge? LOL :P

But yeah, all of those factors as a player should cross your mind and many many more…..so to measure it is quite difficult. An approximation can be given though based on taking those say 500 variants and linking them to a milestone variant e.g capture points / map / dm / adv/disadv etc…

This is what I do when I mentor and watch demos of players.

Cheers

Byte

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from fraac

Phoenix, right, rounds won is the measure of success, then you work back from that to figure out the variables. This is what Jon has done. I think a hybrid method is best, to reduce the 9 games needed to spot the outlier scout who will be singlehandedly determining results in the meantime. More obviously in tf2center than tf2pickup.

The best CS system breakdown I’ve seen postulates that it’s based on round wins with MVP status adding a bonus. Of course Valve want you to have to grind their system so something that accurately found player skill in a few games wouldn’t necessarily be the best for business. I’m not sure how fast smurf accounts can get to the highest levels.

Last edited by Gentleman Jon,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2