HAPPENING THREAD - Valve introducing Comp matchmaking

Created 31st October 2014 @ 09:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 Next »

Indxyou

coooool

rockie

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

I agree, on the wider scale, it can be a good thing. But it doesn’t adapt to the competitive community, the choice of maps and gamemode.

Let’s see where this goes, it can take many directions and it can only be a good thing for competitive TF2, just depends which type of competitive TF2 you want.

prolly the dumb way :( i don’t understand this need to change something every 1/2 years, what’s wrong with 6v6?

Morgus

Quoted from rockie

[…]

prolly the dumb way :( i don’t understand this need to change something every 1/2 years, what’s wrong with 6v6?

Nothing’s wrong with 6v6, that’s the problem

Marty

lala

Quoted from Morgus

[…]

6v6 is a great gamemode, but I don’t see Valve implementing it in a comp matchmaking system. It cuts away like half the classes and pretty much every single weapon in the game, and how will they control off-classing?

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Quoted from Marty

6v6 is a great gamemode, but I don’t see Valve implementing it in a comp matchmaking system. It cuts away like half the classes and pretty much every single weapon in the game, and how will they control off-classing?

This is a myth. No class is actually excluded in 6v6, they just don’t get played because they are not the optimal way to play. I would concede that there is a toxic mindset enforced by some players that you must play cookie cutter setups, but that is not part of the rule set.

Despite being lauded as some sort of game mode for the people. highlander is actually more restrictive because you are forced to run the same classes, it simply masks the broken balance that 6s exposes.

I would happily play 6v6 no whitelist, maybe even class limit two if Valve wanted to go that route.

Morgus

Quoted from Admirable

[…]

This is a myth. No class is actually excluded in 6v6, they just don’t get played because they are not the optimal way to play. I would concede that there is a toxic mindset enforced by some players that you must play cookie cutter setups, but that is not part of the rule set.

Despite being lauded as some sort of game mode for the people. highlander is actually more restrictive because you are forced to run the same classes, it simply masks the broken balance that 6s exposes.

I would happily play 6v6 no whitelist, maybe even class limit two if Valve wanted to go that route.

inb4 double GRU heavies full time

rockie

Quoted from Morgus

[…]

nothing wrong? then why is ppl constantly looking for something different, never satisfied with what they have?

mrwhizz

If Valve is in fact implementing a matchmaking system in their game they will, as previously stated start with the game mode that actually attract to pub players, which is Highlander and honestly I think this is a good idea. From a pubbers point of view who probably has seen a couple of frag movies or clips and said to themselfs “well I cant do that! I got 1000+ on spy!” they will turn to this because it; Looks like a pub, It plays like a pub (sorta) and most people they play with will be from public servers too

Maybe they should have a ranking system ingame too like they do on CS:GO, What I’d imagine is something where you unlock 6v6 and get matched against people of your own skill level, that way you would have more balanced games than TF2Center (this is not gonna happen ever tho, but it would be super cool)

Just my look at it

Twiggy

swole.
HL

Quoted from Admirable

[…]

Let’s do a showmatch ok :D

Collaide

Quoted from rockie

[…]

nothing wrong? then why is ppl constantly looking for something different, never satisfied with what they have?

Define “people”. Who do you mean? Yourself?

I doubt that the majority of 6s players look for something diffrent.

Last edited by Collaide,

Morgus

Quoted from rockie

[…]

First you should make up your mind, in this same page you argue against making something new asking what’s wrong with 6s and now you are arguing the exact opposite.
And second what’s wrong in this game that applies only in the 6s format? (and I’m talking about the format in itself not to the meta because that’s bound to change and no one will ever be satisfied with it because people have different playstyles)

rockie

Quoted from Collaide

[…]

Define “people”. Who do you mean? Yourself?

I doubt that the majority of 6s players look for something diffrent.

i think you’re getting me wrong, if it was for me we’ll be playing tf2 like in 2010, almost full vanilla, the actual 6v6 has even too many unlocks for my tastes, but still is pretty much ok, i mean what’s this 5v5 bullshit?

Last edited by rockie,

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Quoted from rockie

[…]

i think you’re getting me wrong, if it was for me we’ll be playing tf2 like in 2010, almost full vanilla

thanks god its not for you

rockie

Quoted from smziii

[…]

thanks god its not for you

would be boring huh?

Bulow

GG

If Valve want to back a competitive game mode, that’s great. I can see the appeal for them for a format that allows all of the classes and all of the unlocks.

However, if it’s something like the 5v5 arena mentioned above, that would seem a little ‘top down’ to me. 5v5, class(/item) bans etc, are the trappings of a MOBA. It’s a rule set imposed from above, not to balance the game, but to fit with a strategy of allowing everything and to make it more ‘familiar’. That’s not how the first DOTA came to be played, or how Counter strike came to be played with teams of 5 etc. The success of these games came because they were a format that evolved naturally from thousands of hours of playtesting, from the players themselves. To ignore all the feedback from competitive TF2 for the last 6-7 years would be a very odd decision.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 Next »