Forum

How to call and maincall in competitive

Created 14th October 2014 @ 17:03

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Telepathic Ryuu

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=326312913

Heyo! listen up dudes! Me and a few people in colaboration have made this guide, its not complete it has flaws, but i hope we can somehow manage to make it good and useful for everyone!

ondkaja

IKEA

oh

highlander

Spike Himself

TC

are you sure? the title says “competitive”

:>

IPZIE

SUAVE

watch out spy is alive. end.

Vitilumi

tbd

Quoted from Spike Himself

are you sure? the title says “competitive”

:>

ondkaja

IKEA

In all seriousness, this is a terrible guide because it’s limiting and one dimensional. You are not taking up the most important rule of calling: there are no rules to calling. You also got the purpose of calling all wrong. The purpose of calling is to influence your teammates in a way that manipulates them with the goal to win the game. For example, by calling out a sniper position you are influencing your combo to not blindly walk into a sightline, with the goal of preventing them getting killed by the sniper and consequently losing the game. All calls should have this purpose, all calls should influence your teammates in some way, or they are useless.

The quantity and emphasis of calls are also important. If there are too many calls, it’s impossible to listen to everything. So the team has a responsibility to keep the comms clear by calling out important stuff, and leaving out unimportant calls. Not only does the quantity of comms have to be leveled, there has to be an emphasis on the important calls. You might perfectly hear and understand a call, but in order to fully assess the importance of the call, some calls have to be louder than others. So how do you assess which calls to leave out, which calls to say in a normal tone, and which calls to say loudly? It depends entirely on your team, your positions, your chemistry and a lot of other factors. For example, if the comms fairly quiet there is room for more unimportant calls. Some calls have to be said loudly in some situations while a normal tone fits for other situations.

This makes it very hard to say that x class should always call this and this. It’s simply not true. The team can have different calling roles where your “job” as described in this guide isn’t the optimal way of fulfilling the purpose of calling. Interrupting others’ calls is okay in some situations, depending on your role in the team (although if your call is long enough to be interrupted you are probably not concise enough). Counter calling the maincaller is okay in some situations, depending on your role in the team. The most important rule of calling: there are no rules to calling.

You have gotten the entire calling thing wrong, you aren’t a proper caller if you just mechanically spew out information. You also have to communicate and react to other people’s calls. For example, if you are called or otherwise expected to do something, but you aren’t able to, you should consider communicating this to the team so they can work around this issue. Calling your intentions and what you expect other people to do is a good way of coordinating, but still not necessary to call if this is already part of your team chemistry.

A maincaller isn’t necessarily a general that gives out orders that everyone must follow. Realistically, the main caller doesn’t have all the information necessary to micromanage everyone, so this is why communcation is important. For example, if I see that my maincaller has made an obviously wrong decision, it’s often my responsibility to correct it, as long as I know that my maincaller will trust my call that his call is incorrect. This is applicable in all gamemodes of TF2. The most important thing is that the calls fulfill the purpose of calling. So what do you do if two people strongly believe that their call was the correct one? It’s up to the team to solve that issue. Rule number one is still, there are no rules to calling.

ash

(Legend)
:D

Please make a guide, kaja.

konr

OP took 5 paragraphs

zen1th

PRXSM
LEGO

kaja’d

retz

Quoted from zen1th

kaja’d

Telepathic Ryuu

Thanks for the feedback, i mean this is a guide we tried to put of newcomers, i am sure you know much better, how about we try to enjoy that people are still trying to do something….

Telepathic Ryuu

Quoted from ondkaja

In all seriousness, this is a terrible guide because it’s limiting and one dimensional. You are not taking up the most important rule of calling: there are no rules to calling. You also got the purpose of calling all wrong. The purpose of calling is to influence your teammates in a way that manipulates them with the goal to win the game. For example, by calling out a sniper position you are influencing your combo to not blindly walk into a sightline, with the goal of preventing them getting killed by the sniper and consequently losing the game. All calls should have this purpose, all calls should influence your teammates in some way, or they are useless.

The quantity and emphasis of calls are also important. If there are too many calls, it’s impossible to listen to everything. So the team has a responsibility to keep the comms clear by calling out important stuff, and leaving out unimportant calls. Not only does the quantity of comms have to be leveled, there has to be an emphasis on the important calls. You might perfectly hear and understand a call, but in order to fully assess the importance of the call, some calls have to be louder than others. So how do you assess which calls to leave out, which calls to say in a normal tone, and which calls to say loudly? It depends entirely on your team, your positions, your chemistry and a lot of other factors. For example, if the comms fairly quiet there is room for more unimportant calls. Some calls have to be said loudly in some situations while a normal tone fits for other situations.

This makes it very hard to say that x class should always call this and this. It’s simply not true. The team can have different calling roles where your “job” as described in this guide isn’t the optimal way of fulfilling the purpose of calling. Interrupting others’ calls is okay in some situations, depending on your role in the team (although if your call is long enough to be interrupted you are probably not concise enough). Counter calling the maincaller is okay in some situations, depending on your role in the team. The most important rule of calling: there are no rules to calling.

You have gotten the entire calling thing wrong, you aren’t a proper caller if you just mechanically spew out information. You also have to communicate and react to other people’s calls. For example, if you are called or otherwise expected to do something, but you aren’t able to, you should consider communicating this to the team so they can work around this issue. Calling your intentions and what you expect other people to do is a good way of coordinating, but still not necessary to call if this is already part of your team chemistry.

A maincaller isn’t necessarily a general that gives out orders that everyone must follow. Realistically, the main caller doesn’t have all the information necessary to micromanage everyone, so this is why communcation is important. For example, if I see that my maincaller has made an obviously wrong decision, it’s often my responsibility to correct it, as long as I know that my maincaller will trust my call that his call is incorrect. This is applicable in all gamemodes of TF2. The most important thing is that the calls fulfill the purpose of calling. So what do you do if two people strongly believe that their call was the correct one? It’s up to the team to solve that issue. Rule number one is still, there are no rules to calling.

Telepathic Ryuu

i fucked up ^ but what i meant, i read your paragraphs, basicly what our guide said, maybe not in your words, we didint meant it, if you think its one sided are you are reading it like one, its your problem

Bloodyyy

(Weeaboo Nerd)
(XD ͜ʖXD)

Quoted from zen1th

kaja’d

hr

I think you can’t really teach maincalling it seems some people are up to it and some aren’t but the idea that it’s just one guy telling other people what to do is the biggest misconception. As onkaja mentioned – sometimes people can see other perspectives and need to override a call and if you watch old epsilon calls you’ll see knox and numlocked both ‘maincalling’ so I disagree with the ‘ONE main-caller’ section.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »