Forum

Source 2: Team Fortress 2 Classic?

Created 7th August 2014 @ 19:00

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

As you might’ve read, the DoTA 2 workshop has received an update where files textures and maps can be created on the source 2 engine. http://blog.dota2.com/2014/08/dota-2-workshop-tools/
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/3/35/Tileset_new_outliner.png

This got me thinking, how would this affect TF2? The port from quake to HL engine changed TF to TFC, and from the HL engine to Source spawned TF2 and FF. With constant updates and a thriving player base the game would most likely see it’s future on the Source 2 engine.

My question regarding this is: Would this mean TF2 will stay TF2, or do you think a new version would be a separate game from the one we know and play?

ondkaja

IKEA

it’s just dev tools for dota (and has nothing to do with source 2), dunno why that would mean tf2 getting a sequel or whatever

Last edited by ondkaja,

Bery

Seizs
LoL

i dont think that i’ll affect TF2, but later VALVe will start thinking about 3rd part of team fortress. as Gabe said, when source 2 releases, the ricochet 2 will come out and then,i believe the L4D3 and HL3 will come out. i have dream, that 3rd team fortress will come

Setlet

Quoted from ondkaja

(and has nothing to do with source 2)

I think it has everything to do with Source 2.

Given that TF2 maps are running on brush tools where as source 2 seems to run on mesh tools I am going to say no to TF2 running on source 2. I imagine the code base is also just so expansive that porting it to source 2 may not work.

On top of that, source 2 may “fix” some of the features of source, e.g. Surfing and valve would have to recreate these “bugs” for Source 2 in order to not break TF2

I found this quote on Reddit made by Josh (the Irish one?), which would suggest that TF2 won’t be ported on Source 2.

Last edited by Setlet,

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

TF2-2 confirmed.

rockie

the original news talked about a new source engine, not any specific game, we all know that source engine 2 trails new games such hl 3 portal 3, and shit…

Selek

Dr. med.

The Dota and TF2 economy are both really big and flourishing, so a port would have to take all the items with them. If that can’t be done automatically, I doubt we will see a port in the near or middle future.

That being said, drunken f00l asked about which features would be most sought for in the newest Source engine in relation to TF2, so maybe we will at least get an upgrade some time. I’m thinking an engine upgrade to the likes of CS:GO, but I’m not quite sure about the details, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

san alex

Team Fortress 3 could save the competitive scene with the incorporation of an in-game matchmaking system. At least that’s what I’m waiting for.

Last edited by san alex,

zen1th

PRXSM
LEGO

Quoted from Freakie

TF2-2 confirmed.

https://i.imgur.com/JxLADu5.png

Last edited by zen1th,

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from san alex

Team Fortress 3 could save the competitive scene with the incorporation of an in-game matchmaking system. At least that’s what I’m waiting for.

Another Team Fortress would be redundant what with how successful the current business model is, not to mention how it would divide the community.

kindred

myx
SDCK!

Quoted from Freakie

[…]

Another Team Fortress would be redundant what with how successful the current business model is, not to mention how it would divide the community.

ETF3L when

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from kindred

[…]

ETF3L when

I can’t believe how hard that is pronounce

Alfie

(ETF2L Donator)
bobs

Quoted from Scissors

[…]