Forum

scrim.me

Created 26th July 2014 @ 09:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

ash

(Legend)
:D

Not like you can agree on maps beforehand?

Max

Fusion

Quoted from ash

Not like you can agree on maps beforehand?

You are missing the point here.

UGC team has a swiftwater official that week. ETF2L team wants to practice that week to get ready for the ETF2L season.

ETF2L team couldn’t find any other ETF2L team so they have to scrim the UGC team. The UGC team says: We would like to play SWIFTWATER at least ONCE or we WON’T SCRIM WITH YOU.

So you have to scrim once with the map you won’t play at all. Situation like that happens just because one team is a ETF2L team while the other one is a UGC team.

Capiché?

yak

DUBSTEP
Gungaginga

Quoted from Max

[…] You are missing the point here.

UGC team has a swiftwater official that week. ETF2L team wants to practice that week to get ready for the ETF2L season.

ETF2L team couldn’t find any other ETF2L team so they have to scrim the UGC team. The UGC team says: We would like to play SWIFTWATER at least ONCE or we WON’T SCRIM WITH YOU.

So you have to scrim once with the map you won’t play at all. Situation like that happens just because one team is a ETF2L team while the other one is a UGC team.

Capiché?

All we did when that happened was have our map played first and then play their ugc map after, seemed to work.

But seriously, this and scrim.tf shouldn’t be competing, why not work together?

CHERRY

Quoted from yak

[…]

All we did when that happened was have our map played first and then play their ugc map after, seemed to work.

Why do people fail to understand that things like this are developed long before revealing, and it shouldn’t stop them that another website emerged while they were still working on theirs. It’s also understandable if any of the parts don’t want the merger :s

jakeowaty

Quoted from yak

TF2Pickup and TF2Center, spreadsheet mixes, IRC pugs and Steam Group mixes? Why don’t they all work together, hm?

HATE

(ETF2L Donator)

TF2Pickup and TF2Center, spreadsheet mixes, IRC pugs and Steam Group mixes? Why don’t they all work together, hm?

Because they’re all different and cater for different demographics?

The fact is that scrim.tf and scrim.me are precisely the same service, and you’ll end up competing for teams to use one or the other, or end up with a frustrating system in which you post on both.

As much as I sympathise with CHERRY’s point that things get developed beforehand, the scrim.me team’s just been unlucky here, and I don’t think there’s any use in complicating things further just because you’ve been beaten to a reveal.

If there’s any chance of a merger then that would obviously be the best situation. If not, I don’t think there’s any sense in having two identical systems.

Of course, if they reveal they’ve got something new or different up their sleeve then I’ll renege, but I don’t think there’s anything they’ve got that isn’t already covered by scrim.tf.

Kaneco

great job, hope to see this gain some traction, all these community projects need is some backing from the community at the start and if you can snowball off that then you got a fine project.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

I currently have no intention of using any of these sites – they’re overhead with no significant benefits. What might work is a Steam bot that would matchmake scrims for you hours in advance.

CHERRY

Quoted from HATE

[…]

Because they’re all different and cater for different demographics?

The fact is that scrim.tf and scrim.me are precisely the same service, and you’ll end up competing for teams to use one or the other, or end up with a frustrating system in which you post on both.

As much as I sympathise with CHERRY’s point that things get developed beforehand, the scrim.me team’s just been unlucky here, and I don’t think there’s any use in complicating things further just because you’ve been beaten to a reveal.

If there’s any chance of a merger then that would obviously be the best situation. If not, I don’t think there’s any sense in having two identical systems.

Of course, if they reveal they’ve got something new or different up their sleeve then I’ll renege, but I don’t think there’s anything they’ve got that isn’t already covered by scrim.tf.

In the long run the one of them is already dead, and it’s the matter time when the other takes over the whole space, so I don’t see anything wrong in releasing the second, it’s not like people will split between them equally.

HATE

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from fraac

I currently have no intention of using any of these sites – they’re overhead with no significant benefits. What might work is a Steam bot that would matchmake scrims for you hours in advance.

What significant benefit does that offer?

In the long run the one of them is already dead, and it’s the matter time when the other takes over the whole space, so I don’t see anything wrong in releasing the second, it’s not like people will split between them equally.

That’s a fair point – but wouldn’t it just be a more efficient and, vitally, less fragmented + confusing system just to merge the two, or pick the best? We’ve no doubt got some talented people here, surely it’s best to try and get them to work together rather than have some sort of battle royale between them to see which one falters first?

Last edited by HATE,

Chowder

Quoted from Bloodis

Could you add ETF2L profiles and SteamID32’s as well?

Hi Bloodis. We are trying to find a good way to convert SteamID64 to SteamID32. Once we are done with that we will put the link on the user page. We are also reworking the user profile page so we will push that change alongside with the profile update which will be in a few days.
Sorry about the delay.

Chowder

For everyone asking why two sites for scrims exist:
We started development long before we knew that another site like this existed.
I am pretty sure the developers of the other site were in the same situation.

Coincidence.

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from yak

Their end of course projects were probably at different universities.

HATE

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Chowder

For everyone asking why two sites for scrims exist:
We started development long before we knew that another site like this existed.
I am pretty sure the developers of the other site were in the same situation.

Coincidence.

That’s not really the question here though – what’s going to happen? You seem to be pretty bullish about it, and I’d hope the answer isn’t just a war of attrition until someone’s hard work goes down the drain.

LaMqTa

fenneks

Quoted from jakeowaty

[…]

Cuz people need drama >:D

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »