REMOVE

Quoted from jay

[…]

uh-oh

?

Did I say something wrong?

edit:

Quoted from fraac

It is just a pub with focus calls and better dm though, isn’t it? What sort of strategies do highlander players talk about?

Well, for starters comms are different in Highlander. In 6v6 the importance of each class is more of less equally distributed for most situations, a lot more so than in Highlander at least. You have 5 damage and kill dealing classes and 1 medic, so you’re all essentially well leveled.

In Highlander you have this massive blob of 9 people that makes comms extremely messy if not properly maintained. The importance of each class also fluctuates greatly from situation to situation, more closely resembling a pub indeed, especially with the great variety of unlocks. Communication therefore must be organized through the maincaller who must struggle to coordinate the remaining 8 classes, some of which he can’t even see directly. Every class should be expect to contribute their own part to the team and the maincaller goes under the assumption that they are. In 6v6 all you need to do is look around you and you already get a good idea on whether the situation is in your favor or not.

Highlander is different from 6v6 in several ways, some of which diminish its glory. For example: whilst both gamemodes have standard established metas, the 6v6 gamemode in general allows for much wilder and impressive plays to be performed. Unexpected things can happen in an instant in 6v6, whilst in Highlander the sheer number of people involved makes such exciting occurrences a lot rarer.

Map-wise, 6v6 is more flexible than Highlander. You can conjure up different strats on the spot to achieve your goal, whilst with Highlander you are obliged to mechanized repetitive tasks. The maps played in Highlander contribute to this ‘issue’ (payload for example forces teams to repeat several things)

I tend to enjoy watching 6v6 streams more than Highlander ones simply because Highlander can be quite repetitive and therefore dull (in certain maps at least).

As for strategies, new ones are constantly being developed. Just watch the latest premier games and compare them to the season before that to have a sense of how much things are involving. How the sentry is positioned, how the combo works together, how the scout/soldier duo work together, etc. As time moves on, different teams begin to expect different things from different classes. Good DM alone isn’t enough and I’ve witnessed it myself in person.

Rollouts and other neat tricks that can be lifesavers in 6v6 hold almost no weight in Highlander, which is a bloody shame. Tactics are usually therefore more about team cohesion and finding new, better ways of playing the still developing game. It’s more about “holding X point longer” and “pushing X point faster” than it is about analyzing each situation individually.

Even Prem level Highland can look like a semi-coordinated pub to many, but I personally can’t help but to appreciate how much skill is involved in certain actions that most would assume to be trivial. I like cp_steel as a map especially because it allows Highlander to be taken a lot more seriously and to more so resemble an actually competitive mode, just a shame there aren’t more maps like it.

Last edited by Fuxx,

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

ur all just retarded arguing about gamemodes

quintosh

wL.

real gamer

drew

-Xe-

and i didnt get what i asked for

hr

Quoted from Fuxx

[…]

People in general get a feeling on how 6v6 actually works as early as div5, whilst for Highlander you wont find anything resembling “skill” up until div2/3. This is proof that there is far more tryharding and pressure to improve in 6v6 than there is in Highlander, otherwise there would be more competent Highlander teams.

I wouldn’t say however that your skill level scaling would continue to apply for div2 and up. There are players who are low div in 6v6 managing to stand up, if not even occasionally defeat 6v6 pros in Highlander.

I don’t know I watched a couple of prem hl stvs and the dm was pretty embarrassingly bad as for the gamesense required it’s pretty obvious that it’s lower. As for people being low div in 6’s and beating high div 6’s players in hl I think that’s pretty irrelevant.

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Quoted from drew

and i didnt get what i asked for

I can mentor you, when i get back.

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from hr

[…]
I don’t know I watched a couple of prem hl stvs and the dm was pretty embarrassingly bad as for the gamesense required it’s pretty obvious that it’s lower. As for people being low div in 6’s and beating high div 6’s players in hl I think that’s pretty irrelevant.

Out of all the Scouts/Soldiers/Demos in Prem HL I think me and Joe are the only two players who haven’t also played Prem/Invite 6s. It’s the same players usually.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quintosh and Kaylus also didn’t.

Bulow

GG

Even if I don’t agree with you that the DM is “embarrassingly bad” (and Emilio has already pointed out that a lot of players have high level 6v6 pedigree), surely that statement is pretty irrelevant too? Since presumably having better DM will always improve you as a player. Same with ‘game sense’ (whatever you mean by that). What’s more, if all the requirements are so low, then a little thought and effort combined with advice will see big improvements. Anyway, the standard of Euro HL has been improving, can the same be said of 6v6?? #LazyPandas4S19 :^)

Redwood, Toba has a lot of experience and is very laidback, he should be able to give you some good advice.

Quoted from Bulow

Anyway, the standard of Euro HL has been improving, can the same be said of 6v6?? #LazyPandas4S19 :^)

Hey!

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

90% of 9v9 haters are div 4 heroes who think theyre cool cause theyve hit past div5 and a prem player has once said lol hl, mmindless sheep who are bad at everything

Collaide

Quoted from Muuki

90% of 9v9 haters are div 4 heroes who think theyre cool cause theyve hit past div5 and a prem player has once said lol hl, mmindless sheep who are bad at everything

Lel the burn is rel xD

sorsa

mooz

Quoted from Muuki

Let the h8 begin.

kindred

myx
SDCK!

Quoted from Muuki

I’ve noticed a similar trend. top 6v6 players tend to either play it or ignore it, and nearly all the “lol hl” you see is from lower divs. to say it’s such an easy game with no strategy, yet most who flame it all the time have never been at the top of it

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

I don’t play hl because everyone else has better dm and it doesn’t feel like I can add anything by calling smart plays. Prem hl players have told me it’s just dm.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »