Forum

can we please get a new HL mix site?

Created 27th June 2014 @ 20:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from MARS^

I think the main reason that the IRC mix died is that exam period started and less players were willing to spend their free time on this game

also the season is over.

that said, last year the colony spreadsheet was BOOMING BUSINESS. there were mixes every day (multiple!!) during summer. tbh i loved the sheet, much more fun than irc. (at least i had a great time that summer)

bring back the spreadsheet? as long as you have a few consistent mix hosters (i did a bunch every week back then) you will have a good time.

Collaide

Quoted from Fuxx

Maybe it’s just me being completely accustomed to the publicity but I don’t recall ever having seen the site’s name around here.

Isn’t it obvious that if there is a lack of people, as insinuated by Beater (and confirmed by me visiting the site just now and seeing them have 35 people online, less than 10% of tf2center’s average population) then it’s because they’re doing something wrong in being both accessible and common knowledge to the people?

I don’t know how they can publicize themselves, maybe invite a ton of people to a steamgroup and do occasional events?

Or you can continue to pretend that what they’re doing simply works and nothing gets changed at all. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Well there is a TF2 pickup rule saying you can’t use them to learn the game which in itself prevents like 50% of all tf2center users.
(Aka no newcomers like medics healing the pocket instead of demo in rollouts or people who cannor hit the side of a barn.

Wiethoofd

(Newswriter)
LvG

Quoted from Collaide

Well there is a TF2 pickup rule saying you can’t use them to learn the game which in itself prevents like 50% of all tf2center users.
(Aka no newcomers like medics healing the pocket instead of demo in rollouts or people who cannot hit the side of a barn.

That is why the rule is in place, if you’re clueless about the game/map/format, you most likely won’t join mumble either and we actually urge you to play some lobbies before hopping into the pickups.

We also proposed a promotion thing to ETF2L to playtest unlocks etc. which got questioned by 1 admin and completely blown away/shut down with 1 post 2 days after the proposal which could’ve been used for some publicity for ETF2L & TF2Pickup.net.

Also the new ETF2L layout has a TF2Pickup.net widget built in to show how many people are added up for each class per game mode, but since the layout update has been postponed indefinitely that won’t help either.

If you ever feel like doing an IRC/Spreadsheet pickup/mix, instead gather everyone on TF2Pickup.net. If you manage to get stuff going/popular/active I’m fine with rewarding those people getting players in with one of the bazillion items I have in my backpack, donator status, custom announcers etc.

Kaneco

Quoted from Beater

tf2pickup.net supports highlander. People just need to use it

this

If only the community wasn’t so stubborn.

tf2pickup is the perfect site to gather all gamemodes in a functional web based pickup site.

Collaide

Quoted from Wiethoofd

[…]

That is why the rule is in place, if you’re clueless about the game/map/format, you most likely won’t join mumble either and we actually urge you to play some lobbies before hopping into the pickups

Yeah I did not criticise the rule just stating it. Not saying it is the cause for having less players either… Some people I know who complain about lobbies being shit but they still don’t add up in tf2pickup even though they are aware of it existing.

And yes I think it is good to add some quality to the games.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Spreadsheet was pretty good. I’d host some again and allow server + mumble to be used if needed.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from b33p

Spreadsheet was pretty good. I’d host some again and allow server + mumble to be used if needed.

Spreadsheet was great until they made it really impractical with the way you had to edit your names in. The main reason it was so great though, was the ability to arrange prem-level single-mixes if you couldn’t get games. Something I’ve missed being able to.

kindred

myx
SDCK!

Spreadsheets are good if you want to be efficient with your time and organise shit to go down at X time for exactly Y maps. IRC pickups are good if you want to have the added element of picking and captains, and you want to re-queue and play all night with different team/class combinations. Both are cool. and dead.

The only highlander on demand you can get now is TF2center, and it is FULL of very low level players. It’s not necessarily a negative, as these people have to start somewhere, but for experienced players it gets tiring and the fun of the game wears off very fast.

Personally I’m in love with IRC pugs and would be very happy to see them return.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

When tf2center adds ratings will you be able to create lobbies with minimum rating requirements?

Wiethoofd

(Newswriter)
LvG

Quoted from kindred

Personally I’m in love with IRC pugs and would be very happy to see them return.

Is that because of the captains thing, being able to add up for multiple classes, or the skill level and people being active?

Because you’re still preferring an outdated platform over something web-based where we tried to move away from IRC (webIRC is still IRC!), while trying to maintain a higher average skill compared to lobbies and allow for easy Steam log-in on TF2Pickup.net, require mumble/etf2l-account and have an ELO/ranking per player used for balancing pickups.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Balancing teams is one thing but some want the ability to set a lower skill limit.

kindred

myx
SDCK!

Quoted from Wiethoofd

[…]
Is that because of the captains thing, being able to add up for multiple classes, or the skill level and people being active?

Because you’re still preferring an outdated platform over something web-based where we tried to move away from IRC (webIRC is still IRC!), while trying to maintain a higher average skill compared to lobbies and allow for easy Steam log-in on TF2Pickup.net, require mumble/etf2l-account and have an ELO/ranking per player used for balancing pickups.

All of the things you mentioned are reasons I like IRC pugs. I like the fact that the captains get their own competition by trying to pick the best team. This also ensures that high level mixes stay high level instead of everyone being turned away from a spreadsheet where their desired spots are already taken by x_snipe03 and K1llA_LORD, the two newest recruits to div6.

I’m also a fan of IRC itself to some extent.

Last edited by kindred,

bobmus

Quoted from quell

last year the colony spreadsheet was BOOMING BUSINESS. there were mixes every day (multiple!!) during summer. tbh i loved the sheet, much more fun than irc. (at least i had a great time that summer).

I remember being able to set-up a mix during my lunch break at work and play it when I got home!
They usually ended up super imbalanced but that’s just the way of things without captains.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Quoted from Scissors

[…]

Spreadsheet was great until they made it really impractical with the way you had to edit your names in. The main reason it was so great though, was the ability to arrange prem-level single-mixes if you couldn’t get games. Something I’ve missed being able to.

I don’t follow, what do you mean by editing? IIRC you just type your name in the box. But there was sometimes the odd ‘tard who would keep trying to overwrite, but one PM to the host normally ironed that problem out.

Hajdzik

SUAVY
ㄕサ

About tf2.mix.euhl servers were up to date and I could maintain the servers, but there was lack of people who would spam announcments and get those mixes going, and lack of people who wanted to work with it so it would work out nicely.

The main troube is not the system you will use to play hl mixes, but people who will spend time to help others organise it and bring people in. I have no time for this now – 2 jobs and barely have time for myself. Also the game works really shitty for me as well and it wasn’t good for me and for another players sometimes.

If someone would like to help the IRC channel still I can do some work with servers try to give peope access to them + IRC admin rights, spreadsheet revival is also good – mixes on set up hours is pretty good idea for highlander. For hl pickups to work you need to have strong base of players and we had that sometimes on IRC.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »