Forum

New Players Joining and having no idea what they're doing

Created 10th June 2014 @ 17:54

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Droidster

tavi

With all the highlander open stuff going on loads of new people from all over the world have been joining ETF2L and trying to find teams with out any real idea of what they’re doing. The recruitment section is full of new players unintentionally making a mess, there are Australian and American players finding teams with people from Europe, people asking to join teams on other’s LFT posts and guys who have never played competitive TF2 looking for prem spots.

ETF2L isn’t exactly an easy site to navigate if you’re new and it’s geared towards people who know what they’re doing, the HL open page directs people to ETF2L but there is very little obvious guidance on what to do or how to do it here. The HL guide linked can help but it seems that people are either not reading it or not fully understanding it. If this event is going to be something to bring a lot of new players into comp TF2 then the people joining are going to need a bit more help .

Bloodyyy

(Weeaboo Nerd)
(XD ͜ʖXD)

+1

Popcorp

Best thing would be someone just adding those players and explaining what to do, answer their questions and stuff…

edit: if Kkaltuu gives me admin, i will do it myself ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited by Popcorp,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

New players are directed to the FAQ on how to use the site: http://etf2l.org/help/faq/

What, do you want us to explain that you should probably recruit people from a similar reigon? Do you also want us reminding people to brush their teeth in the morning? Pretty obvious stuff shouldn’t need to be mentioned.

They are also directed to the Recruitment Page, where there is an introduction on how to look for players/teams.

If you feel something is missing please don’t hesitate to mention it, however ambigiously moaning about how we treat new players isn’t going to help.

Popcorp

1 of the most annoying things is the Flag, because it’s impossible to say where player is from, especially if it’s not even mentioned on his Steam profile, i think choosing a flag when you’re making an account on ETF2L should be mandatory.

Yes, a team leader who is looking for players for his team can just add such people, but enforcing new players to choose a flag would be a lot more convenient.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Droidster

ETF2L isn’t exactly an easy site to navigate

etf2l is one of the easiest sites to navigate, disregarding the team admin panel.
have you ever been to esl’s website? thats fucking hard to navigate

Last edited by rytis,

skyro

#SaveMelee

Although there is enough redirections to places where you can easily learn how to find teams, I feel like there is not enough emphasis on the consequences of publically embarassing yourself with a prem recpost as a div 6 player looking for a highlander team listing a 6v6 post. I agree that it is obvious to us, but as is evident it isn’t obvious to the majority of these players.
@rytis

amen to that

Last edited by skyro,

Spreijer

CONCORDIA

I got added by some unknown dude to trial sniper for chess.

He thought prem was the lowest level.

Max

Fusion

Natural Selection.

Simple as that.

People will learn bout their mistakes and suck it up. If you can’t even navigate through ETF2L and can’t even get a SMALL amount of information then its really normal if you are called a retard.

If you really want new people getting attracted to this league without them having some confusion, make a tutorial vid on how to navigate the site. I can hardly find any other solution than that.

Tomu

BoyBrigade
MEGA$$

It’s super messy on the recruitment section with all these new players posting on other PLAYERS recruitment posts asking to join their TEAM.

Maybe put an extra bit just above the list so when you’re in the player section there’s a few words that can’t be missed explaining that these are players looking for a team opposed to a team looking for players. And vice versa on the team section.

I mean you’d think it’s obvious considering there’s the player and the team links to click to go to where you want but apparently not, gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that they’re not all idiots but just very confused and need an extra nudge in the right direction.

Keep in mind that we are experiencing a massive surge of new players at the moment. Tons of users are registering daily, and to be perfectly honest i’m surprised it’s gone this flawless so far. If some of them post threads in the wrong forums or clutter the wrong rec section, then these are very minor issues that are easily remedied. I’d rather focus on the good side of this, which is tons of potential players for our favorite competitive game. The last number i remember is 82 new teams signing up, which is an impressive amount of new players so far.

Frettx

With all due respect, I am new to pretty much all of this. The site, playing in highlander but I think it’s fairly simple. Unless I’m doing it wrong of course. I’m basically just spending my time at the recruitment section looking for similar people who have little to no experience in highlander. But I am sure that Team leaders might find it harder to operate what with making a team and all. However, the new people do not really know the different divisions and stuff or how to really look for the appropriate team

Oxy

TC.Express

Quoted from Permzilla

What, do you want us to explain that you should probably recruit people from a similar reigon? Do you also want us reminding people to brush their teeth in the morning? Pretty obvious stuff shouldn’t need to be mentioned.

Eugh ewwwwwww whats the smell?
nvm was just your attitude.

In all seriousness though it’s not really ETF2L’s job to tell people how to run their teams. Maybe a *simple* guide could be made by the highlanderopen people and it could be put on etf2l or something? :)

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

How about this?
Entering the Highlander Open:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=269711269

Bulow

GG

Quoted from kKaltUu

How about this?
Entering the Highlander Open:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=269711269