Forum

Soldier Sensitivity Study; In need of data.

Created 24th February 2014 @ 17:27

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »

Mr.Shrimp

Right so this is my first ever forum topic and it’s going to try and solve a huge issue which plagues many players who main soldier and are looking to try and get better. The
question is simply:

“What sensitivity should I use?”

Well that’s a very good question, but the simple answer is you should use what you find comfy and practice over and over again, that will make you good.
This topic however isn’t going to focus on “what sensitivity to use”, but rather the science behind it, if there is any at all. The question I want to try and answer is:

Is there any correlation between hand size and sensitivity?

I have no idea if someone has attempted to answer this question in the past or if there will be any correlation found. The aim of this post is not to give a definite answer of what sensitivity to use for a player, but to give a brief idea to players struggling to settle on sensitivity.
God only knows how many topics there are which relate to sensitivity; but this one should (hopefully) provide its own answers given enough feedback from the community.

My current prediction for this is that players with larger hands will use a lower sensitivity and vise-versa. If I could ask for any soldiers who play in competitive (all divs included) to note down their sensitivity in this format:

Division:
Dots per Inch (DPI):
In game Sensitivity:
Windows Pointer Speed multiplier*:
Acceleration*:
Diameter of hand (mm)*:

**IMPORTANT**
If no acceleration is used fill in with 0. If mouse acceleration is used not in game, but on the mouse’s drivers (for example using acceleration via Razer Synapse) please note it down and specify.
The diameter of your hand MUST be measured in mm. Measure the diameter by measuring the distance from the tip of your thumb, to the tip of your little finger whilst your hand and fingers are spread out, lying flat on a surface.
Windows pointer speed should be put down as a multiplier, for example if you use the default of 6, then you should put down 1 for the Windows pointer speed
The make or name of the mouse being used is not required, however Naga users may find their mice have acceleration built into the firmware; this is known as DPI scaling.

ONLY PLAYERS WHO MAIN SOLDIER PLEASE!!!! (Or if you main something else, but use a different sensitivity as soldier).

My own Mouse sensitivity is:
Division: N/A
Dots per Inch (DPI): 1800
In game sensitivity: 1.15
Windows Pointer Speed multiplier: 1
Acceleration: 0
Diameter of hand (mm): 192

Using http://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/
My sensitivity works out to be 20.1cm/360. This website is to be used to work out what sensitivity players are using in cm/360.

I will put my findings into a nice and tidy excel spreadsheet which I will hopefully upload somewhere once this little experiment has been completed.

-Mr.Shrimp

**NOTE** okay, I’ve F***ed up my Grammar in some way or another here, so if there is anything which is obviously wrong i apologize and if you would correct me in your post, that would be swell. :3

Last edited by Mr.Shrimp,

octane

a lot of people won’t bother reading that

Mr.Shrimp

Quoted from octane

a lot of people won’t bother reading that

Still, its just a little side project, if people respond then great. If they don’t, then its no big deal. :P

Drackk

best
sniper

dpi: 1150
ingame: 1.8
windows multiplier: 1
accel: 0
diameter of hand: 214mm
cm/360 = 20.1

Mr.Shrimp

Quoted from Drackk

dpi: 1150
ingame: 1.8
windows multiplier: 1
accel: 0
diameter of hand: 214mm
cm/360 = 20.1

That’s just freaky…the sense is exactly the same… xD

Drackk

best
sniper

Quoted from Mr.Shrimp

[…]

That’s just freaky…the sense is exactly the same… xD

now you can be just as good as me

edit: do you want my cfg/hud/hitsound/mouse/keyboard/headset/mousemat/housekey?

Last edited by Drackk,

ash

(Legend)
:D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXEN9ZAogzVdG9lODVQaHFSVEl6ZS1XN091a0lMR2c#gid=0

hr

I don’t main soldier but my movement/dm is probably better on soldier than on my main, might play pocket next season anyway so here;

hand diameter = about 200mm (edited because I somehow managed to measure it really badly with a ruler)
mouse = deathadder
cm/360 = 23.1cm 900dpi, 2 in-game
windows multiplier = whatever default is
accel = 0

Last edited by hr,

winterz

(è_é)

Dpi: 1600
Ingame: 2.2
Mouse driver multiplier: 1.2
Accel: 0
Diameter of hand: 215 mm
cm/360 = 9.81

Cauthon

(ETF2L Donator)
prly

Division: 2
Dots per Inch (DPI): 800
In game sensitivity: 3.1
Windows Pointer Speed multiplier: 1
Acceleration: 0
Diameter of hand (mm): 240
cm/360 = 16.8 cm

Mr.Shrimp

Quoted from Drackk

[…]

now you can be just as good as me

edit: do you want my cfg/hud/hitsound/mouse/keyboard/headset/mousemat/housekey?

Last one would be great… :3

Mr.Shrimp

Quoted from ash

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXEN9ZAogzVdG9lODVQaHFSVEl6ZS1XN091a0lMR2c#gid=0

Seen this before, but it doesn’t contain the all important hand diameter xD

Quoted from ash

>20121115

ash

(Legend)
:D

Quoted from Solid

[…]
>20121115

You’re not prem yet, so no use re-creating it?

Mr.Shrimp

Quoted from ash

[…]

You’re not prem yet, so no use re-creating it?

I don’t want a prem-only set of data as it doesn’t give a full representation of soldiers in comp tf, just a sample of the best. As well as this the spreadsheet is possibly out dated and doesn’t contain some of the variables i require.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »