Forum

2 New European IRC PUGs

Created 1st December 2013 @ 16:42

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »

ElenaMorning

MCCT

This week, two new European IRC PuGs went up. One for 6v6 – #tf2.mix.eu – and one for 9v9 – #tf2.mix.euhl. Both are hosted on the http://geeksirc.net/ GeeksIRC network and a brief guide on how to connect to them and use them can be found here.

These pugs are designed to be welcoming to players of all levels, as the design of their bot means that every player gets to play sometimes (for clarification, you can read the discussion http://steamcommunity.com/groups/mixeuhl/discussions/0/648812917290072940here[/url]. – they’re for all divisions. If people regularly connect to them and use them, the IRC pug community will grow and people will have a reliable place to find games and meet players from other teams outside of a scrim setting. I hope to see you join the steam groups and check out the channel!

Last edited by Hildreth,

huhystah

Hildreth already asked my opinion about this, but I will state it again. This definitely won’t work out as a lot of people have tried it before and every project just died. Even then, you should have at least tried using Quakenet server.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Hmm yeah that’s probably true to be fair… It’s hard to get people who are newer to competitive gaming to IRC (cause it’s quite an archaic system to use), and to get them to another IRC server than the main euro IRC server (Qnet) will be very hard. Chances of success are greater with a good webbased pickup.

I will pop in to try a pickup though :)

Last edited by skeej,

ElenaMorning

MCCT

1) We’ve had successful (HL) pugs before posting here, which will hopefully continue.

2) It hit a point where it no longer made sense not to give this a shot. I had the bot, I had cheap (and heavily discounted) servers, all that was left was to set it up and run it

3) GeeksIRC protects our bot from bans in a way Quakenet can’t. Due to the hoops Quakenet seems to make TF2 bots jump through, it would have taken months to rewrite our bot (which we use for NA pugs) to work for Quakenet. I would rather spend that time giving this a shot than hoping it would work in a few months.

4) Connecting to multiple irc networks using a client (where you can have multiple network connections in the same window) or webchat (you can just open multiple webchat tabs in your browser) is very easy. It takes approximately 30 seconds longer than just typing “/join #tf2.mix.euhl”. While I realize this is one more unfortunate hoop for players to jump through, it doesn’t seem prohibitively complicated. I could make a more detailed tutorial if needed.

Last edited by ElenaMorning,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Me and huhy are just being realistic partypoopers here. Of course any initiative is welcomed. The TF2 community seems to have a lack of people who do the “behind the scenes” work, perform organisational roles, take on new initiatives etc. You seem to have put quite some thought and effort in the bot; the anti-fatkidding system is clever. For a 6v6 IRC pickup to have any chance of becoming something you’re gonna need more than an ETF2L thread tho, this shit needs to be plugged everywhere.

SmitZ

Is there really any point in an irc for HL? People just use the spreadsheet & Colony mix group, and that works out fine. We had an irc for it before that failed and died. I don’t see why this new one would be any different.

edit: here’s the spreadsheet, in case anyone hasn’t seen it: http://goo.gl/HBsLf4

Last edited by SmitZ,

Cuttlefish

6v6

Played one PUG, worked great, filled up very fast and was a high skill level.
Would play again!

Well i’ve seen 2-3 irc channels for hl pugs in EU over the years. What usually made them fail was the bot not getting updated or malfunctioning, or if any alternative was better.

At least this bot has support behind it and i know the pugs are really popular in na.

quell

UbeR |

i appreciate the effort and i will surely idle elena!

but my faith in this being what you guys have in the US is about 5%.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from skeej

Me and huhy are just being realistic partypoopers here. Of course any initiative is welcomed. The TF2 community seems to have a lack of people who do the “behind the scenes” work, perform organisational roles, take on new initiatives etc. You seem to have put quite some thought and effort in the bot; the anti-fatkidding system is clever. For a 6v6 IRC pickup to have any chance of becoming something you’re gonna need more than an ETF2L thread tho, this shit needs to be plugged everywhere.

I did have an initiative to involve plugging this on a community level, encouraging the new and also reaching out to those who you don’t see PUG from the many hundreds of teams Div 3-6. It was basically a giant word-of-mouth campaign with team leaders to make them aware of such a thing and encourage them to join in. Sadly…time…sigh. Another week perhaps.

For now though, this can be included in the next newspost.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from quell

i appreciate the effort and i will surely idle elena!

but my faith in this being what you guys have in the US is about 5%.

I’d share with sentiment too if I didn’t know for a fact that every possible issue that might arise has some sort of procedure plan in place, in terms of the bot breaking, possible server issues and day to day running. It does depend on volunteers of course to admin the place, but for the time being just getting it active should be the focus. Elena is very quick (in fact, too quick in my opinion considering her busy schedule) to respond to fixing issue, to the point she probably puts TOO MUCH time into keeping the channels maintained.

This would more than likely be the most responsive and well-run PUG system, any misplaced faith in it due to the nationality would be based purely on prejudices and not reading into the facts.

Last edited by Hildreth,

nijoonen

Gaston
8-)

I’ve played 4 of them, and I think that’s all of them. All of them have worked out great, lots of credit to Freakie and Grenja to making them happen, together with Elena, Ryan and blindsight of course.

I didn’t even give the last pug channel a chance so I can’t really say what’s diffrent about them, what I can say is that this channel have beeing working great for the few hours it’s been up. And of course it won’t get filled with people in the first hours, it will probably take atleast a week or two before you can tell if it’s working or not.

And if a solid group of people puts some effort into getting pugs started this first week i’m sure the ball will be rolling in notime!

Not going to lie, I’m happy that someone is doing this, but at the same time I cba configuring my bouncer to use a new network right now. I’ll try to get around to it soon and will idle then, but not using Qnet is…questionable, imo. I understand the whole thing with the bots, but you’re kinda not giving it your best shot due to that- no offense and thanks. People are lazy, though.

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from nijoonen

I’ve played 4 of them, and I think that’s all of them. All of them have worked out great, lots of credit to Freakie and Grenja to making them happen, together with Elena, Ryan and blindsight of course.

Tbh I’m just hoping people will start coming there on their own so I won’t have to spend 30 minutes messaging 30 people every time I want to play a mix.

Leif

Will try it later in the days.
If people are too stupid to use an IRC client (which takes like 2 mins to learn all the stuff you are required to play comp tf2 and there are tutorials) then tf2pickup is there for you, have fun

Last edited by Leif,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »