Forum

Bonk'd, a TF2 podcast

Created 15th September 2013 @ 22:03

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

teej!

“Quoted from UGC forums”

It’s back!… and we aim to finish the season for once.

Hosted by the same 2 guys, Andyvich and TJB, we aim to bring you any coverage from competitive TF2. Mainly we will be focusing on Highlander in this UGC season, with Wireplay’s current-running season on the agenda as well. ETF2L and ESEA Europe is also going to be touched on throughout. On top of this, we’ll try to get any sort of happenings within the competitive scene discussed about in the weekly episodes.

But when will these episodes be out? Well, we will try and get them to you every Thursday, so we have a linkage with UGC schedules itself. With schedules being hectic, and usually out on a Thursday, it’s a great day to get the discussions out there as soon as possible!

Our aim as a “podcast” sorta thing is to get information of the running TF2 leagues across to a wide variety of TF2 players; high-level, or new to competitive, we’ll try and get something in there for everyone to watch!

Without further or do, here’s the first episode: Link

~Bonk’d

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Thanks for the slander, Andyvich.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Great stuff, keep it up. EU HL scene needs this sort of thing to keep people interested and enjoy the gossip + drama/trashtalk.

My only criticism is you spend barely a minute talking about Wireplay where the “better” teams are signing up and most of the show focusing on UGC, and all of the divisions there.

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Hildreth

My only criticism is you spend barely a minute talking about Wireplay where the “better” teams are signing up and most of the show focusing on UGC, and all of the divisions there.

lol no, with the exception of DA (clear winners) and your mix team, everyone else + more is signed up for UGC as welll. i see your point though.

but yeah good job tjb:) thanks for providing the timestamps too!

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from quell

[…]
lol no, with the exception of DA (clear winners) and your mix team, everyone else + more is signed up for UGC as welll. i see your point though.

but yeah good job tjb:) thanks for providing the timestamps too!

My team isn’t a Mix Team, it’s a newly formed team with aims to stay together for a long long time. But I can see other teams haven’t entered Wireplay, why they would pick UGC over Wireplay is beyond me but each to your own.

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

My team isn’t a Mix Team, it’s a newly formed team with aims to stay together for a long long time. But I can see other teams haven’t entered Wireplay, why they would pick UGC over Wireplay is beyond me but each to your own.

oh my bad. looked at the roster and saw a bunch of colony/ducks people and assumed youd be a mix team. good luck in the future!

why can’t you see why people would pick ugc over wireplay? the longer season allows more funtime, the default day makes for stress free scheduling (also works the best for our team), plenty of fun opponents, and the chance at winning a shiny medal!

Nuky

hype!

Limp.

EPA

Quoted from quell

[…]

oh my bad. looked at the roster and saw a bunch of colony/ducks people and assumed youd be a mix team. good luck in the future!

why can’t you see why people would pick ugc over wireplay? the longer season allows more funtime, the default day makes for stress free scheduling (also works the best for our team), plenty of fun opponents, and the chance at winning a shiny medal!

no

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Limp.

[…]no

:( asshole

Limp.

EPA

Quoted from quell

[…]
:( asshole

yes

Quoted from quell

[…]

why can’t you see why people would pick ugc over wireplay?

Just wanted to chime in and say that itsallgood has the same mindset. We are in UGC yes but we are only scrimming for Wireplay at the moment. We’ve played in UGC for a lot of seasons but right now at least speaking for me personally, i feel Wireplay has the better competition and league overall.

But Quell seeing as you actually won the last platinum league i think it’s only natural to try and defend your title, same as us for Wireplay.

Last edited by Lazybear,

Bulow

GG

Got to agree with Hildreth, at this stage of the UGC season, you would probably find more interest in covering the Wireplay stuff, at least at the upper levels. UGC takes awhile to get going, since most of the results at this stage ‘don’t matter’. There is time for teams to come back from a few early defeats and then make play offs. This is just a product of the way fixtures are generated there. A good example of this? The last proper season, where SDW were pretty average during the main season due to a lot of roster issues. They fixed them towards the end of the season, came about 7th or 8th in the table I think, lost their first playoff game…and then hit some really good form and went on to win. That same season Awkward were looking pretty good before a fold, SIAS and Fair Enough were doing well etc, and no one would have predicted a Kritzkast vs SDW final. On the other hand, every game in Wireplay matters, since you have to play every other team once, and fewer teams go through to the playoffs there. You can actually watch the final positions take place, whereas UGC will see most teams going 4-4.

Moreover, because there are fewer teams, it’s easier to dig in to some of the narratives a bit more. E.g. How will the team made up of Saints players do? Indeed, how did they do against Heppa, another team which is from more of a 6v6 background, but with more highlander experience? What happened with the Kill Switch vs Daroutoutou game, two of the favourites to win? Will Hildreth’s blend of top level 6v6 players and experienced highlander players (to be fair, the 6v6 ones have played a lot of highlander too, but you know what I mean) have as much success as the American teams in a similar mould that dominate over there? SmitZ is back??? How many times did Bulow drop, and did itsallgood still manage to win? That kind of thing, and I’m sure more stories will come out over the course of the season. This helps to avoid the discussion descending into wishy washy stuff that sometimes happens when you are covering 130 teams for UGC. It’s simply impossible to have a lot of interesting and insightful things to say about that many teams, in the amount of time you have.

As for UGC vs Wireplay, the fact that the UGC season only really hots up once playoffs start, which is after the end of the Wireplay season, is what sealed the deal for me. But I’m in the lucky position of having time to play both (even if we’re not really practicing for UGC *at this stage*) which not everyone does. We were always going to play Wireplay since we won it last time around, and it would have been pretty craven to not defend the title. I know that Quell feels the same about UGC.

Oh, and I’m not sure if there is/was much wider interest in the i49 ‘gossip’ stuff, since it was mostly just people you know. It took up about half the running time. But it’s your podcast so you can be forgiven some self indulgence, haha.

Last edited by Bulow,

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

Quoted from quell

Also, Killswitch drew with DA, so not so clear winners now ;D

Enders Flame

Top div of WP looks absolutely awesome this year, and I prefer the website to UGC’s. UGC obviously has the American support and is still pretty good.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Enders Flame

Top div of WP looks absolutely awesome this year, and I prefer the website to UGC’s. UGC obviously has the American support and is still pretty good.

You’ll find that is because there is no alternative, I bet if ETF2L hosted a North American division the top teams would migrate rather quickly.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »