Forum

ESAGamer Launch

Created 6th June 2013 @ 20:18

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 12 Next »

Looks like ESAgamer has been launched today (according to their facebook) check it out

https://esagamer.com/tournaments/11/TF2-Open-and-Unseeded-1

https://esagamer.com/

Trath

Oh cool, who knew they would actually come through with something.
I’ve been idling on their IRC channel since they advertised here (or was it tf.tv?).
Anyways I think people should register, make a team (even just with 5 friends) and sign up to the tournaments when they happen.
Who knows what will come of this.

Last edited by Trath,

Herr_P

IKEA

Looks awesome.

edit: Read all the rules and it looks cool, bit confused about their prize distribution plan though.

Last edited by Herr_P,

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Oh whoopee, these guys…haven’t had time to read everything on the site yet but will update this comment when I have.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

%$§%’+* let me do my job :D I just came home and wanted to advertise it in the forums just to see that the people of ETF2L and TeamFortress.TV already noticed <3

Yep, it is open now. Register, get premium to contribute towards the July prize pool (for the first months, 100% of the subscriptions is recycled into prize money) and find your way around the site. The first tournaments will start in July, signups will open shortly before that. Starting in August, the teams will be divided into three skill tiers.

A summary of the prize model of the ESA can be found here: https://esagamer.com/blogs/2/Welcome-esports-fans-long-version

I am also preparing an announcement to be released at VanillaTF2 at the moment that should clear up some things.

Dennia

FAINT

I just glanced over the times the games is played it does not make any sense for me :)

Herr_P

IKEA

Quoted from Dennia

I just glanced over the times the games is played it does not make any sense for me :)

1.5 hours / map does seem a bit excessive tbh :D

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Herr_P

[…]

1.5 hours / map does seem a bit excessive tbh :D

That is because *drumroll* ESA will be using the “North American” ruleset (2 halves à 30 minutes + delay = 90 minutes)

Also, if there are any questions regarding the prize distribution, feel free to ask. I’ll be more than happy to explain it.

Last edited by CanFo,

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Where does your income come from if you take no commission and all the subscription fees go back into prize pools?

Why are lower div teams going to pay to play in cups they’re going to lose?

How can you guarantee a prize pool of £1250 when not everybody has to pay to enter?

If there is no reason for lower div teams to pay and they just play for free, and you cannot guarantee that kind of prize pool, why would higher div teams pay to play when the prize money will be almost nothing?

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Sideshow

Where does your income come from if you take no commission and all the subscription fees go back into prize pools?

Let that be the worry of the ESA management ;) Also, if you read the announcement again, you will notice that the “no commission” offer counts for the opening months.
Quoted from Sideshow

Why are lower div teams going to pay to play in cups they’re going to lose?

Starting in August, the tournaments will be ranked. You are seeded against teams of similar skill.
Quoted from Sideshow

How can you guarantee a prize pool of £1250 when not everybody has to pay to enter?

The prize pool in the tournament draft of 4x £1250 is based on ~1,000 subscribers. It is not a guaranteed prize pool. There are, however, bonuses for every 2,000 subscribers.
Quoted from Sideshow

If there is no reason for lower div teams to pay and they just play for free, and you cannot guarantee that kind of prize pool, why would higher div teams pay to play when the prize money will be almost nothing?

Teams can actually win money in the lower brackets too, as I explained above. If a high skilled team does want to play but does not want to get premium, that is, of course, 100% up to them. But if they win their bracket, they are going to miss a share of their prize money.

Last edited by CanFo,

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

I don’t trust ESA management and I don’t want to play in a league which I will pay subcription fees into and then suddenly it fails because it has no money left due to a ridiculous business plan. And my money is eaten and another league dies. Looks bad for the scene.

Is this split into 3 skill tiers similar to ESEA? And I assume that by August (when teams actually want to pay to play) you will be taking commission and then the prize pools will pay out less anyway.

What’s the 4×1250? Why isn’t it just a 5k prize pool? And why do you think 1000 people will pay to play if only 192 of them are going to get a return on that? I think that’s a crazy estimate of the prize pool…

You’re expecting 167 teams to sign up and all pay a subscriber fee just to play in a tournament where only 32 of them win their money back+a bit more? It’s not like they even get a large return to tempt them to sign up on the off-chance they win.

Forsak3n

S

Quoted from Sideshow

I don’t trust ESA management and I don’t want to play in a league which I will pay subcription fees into and then suddenly it fails because it has no money left due to a ridiculous business plan. And my money is eaten and another league dies. Looks bad for the scene.

Is this split into 3 skill tiers similar to ESEA? And I assume that by August (when teams actually want to pay to play) you will be taking commission and then the prize pools will pay out less anyway.

What’s the 4×1250? Why isn’t it just a 5k prize pool? And why do you think 1000 people will pay to play if only 192 of them are going to get a return on that? I think that’s a crazy estimate of the prize pool…

You’re expecting 167 teams to sign up and all pay a subscriber fee just to play in a tournament where only 32 of them win their money back+a bit more? It’s not like they even get a large return to tempt them to sign up on the off-chance they win.

why do ppl play on esea then?

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Sideshow

Ask any company for all details of their business plan. You won’t get an answer in most cases. If you do not want to subscribe, that is fine. However, the model is financing itself so I can not really see much going wrong.
Quoted from Sideshow

The skill tiers will most likely be of the same size. The opening prize promise counts for more than one month and there are no tournaments yet in June. However, at some point ESA will start taking a commission (as that is a part of the business model).
Quoted from Sideshow

ESA will feature one tournament every weekend. If you miss out one, you can still play in the next one and win your share of the prize pool.
I never said I think that 1,000 people will get premium in the first month, I just said that the currently entered prize pool is based on that assumption for all supported games at the ESA. At the end of June/start of July, I will have more accurate information on the total prize pool for July.
Quoted from Sideshow

I do not know where you got these numbers from. I never said how many teams I expect to sign up. Each bracket will feature 128 slots for now so in theory 512 different teams could play. However, I am aware that the actual signup count will be much lower. I also do not except everyone to get premium. If it is not much in return for the premium fee, that is for everyone to decide by himself. If the prize pool for one tournament ends up being £1,250, the winner of each will receive £425. Multiply that by 4 tournaments per month (£1,700) and deduct 6x premium fees. If you end up on place 9-16, you get £25 x 4 tournaments per week (£100) minus 6x premium fees. That *can* be your return.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Sideshow

Shut up Josh we’re playing, get your checkbook out, you’re paying for everyone.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

VTF2 article with more details: http://www.vanillatf2.org/2013/06/esa-gamer-is-live-featuring-team-fortress-2/

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 12 Next »