Forum

Valve to develop in-game competitive lobby system?

Created 4th June 2013 @ 04:22

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »

Buttnose

http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/8952-how-to-get-to-in-game-comp-lobbies

kustom3

AwS
DA!

:O

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

sick 9v9 support :/

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Love this, however I disagree with the whole 6v6 stagnancy thing. Seems like they saw how competitive dota worked as an esport and became enlightened by it.
Not all games need to have that whole new weapon tactic thing, it doesn’t function all that well in all games(not saying it can’t work in tf2). You should be able to have a spectator esport through player/team skill/cooperation and not metagame tactics. The whole difference between dota/lol and quake/cs/whatever as an esport.

Last edited by cmd,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

By stagnancy they just mean they can’t sell crap for it. Could be the future of highlander if done well, or an MvMish ghosttown if done poorly.

rytis

PrettyGay

too bad they want to support the shitty game mode

Setlet

I have 5 item bans? I’ll just ban every sniper rifle and booyah, sniper is useless.

I’m liking this idea.

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from rytis

too bad they want to support the shitty game mode

dont be a retard and set your expectations too high. you think ingame matchmaking will work for 95% if players?

stalematey 5cp maps, how can you enjoy that? 30 minutes of that shit every time

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from quell

[…]
dont be a retard and set your expectations too high. you think ingame matchmaking will work for 95% if players?

stalematey 5cp maps, how can you enjoy that? 30 minutes of that shit every time

yeah, because highlander is intresting. yup yup yup
also no need to insult me, thats pretty low of you. (not really surprising tho as you’re probably a main highlander player)

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

If they want to know the logic behind league weapon bans, they could just ask. All leagues have similar weapon bans for similar reasons across both gamemodes. We would be happy to provide ours.

It’s disappointing that they don’t wish to support 6v6 (for now), but highlander needs a built-in lobby system far more than 6v6 does, both due to higher player count, class diversity and player mentality. A built-in lobby that allows players to “jump into” 6v6 without forcing them to learn the gamemode first, would be a disaster for obvious reasons; highlander lobbies are closer to the pub game and more forgiving.

I can’t imagine how the item pick system could be used to provide any useful balance data. It’s worth noting that most of the items banned by leagues only have issues in organized play, and are not overpowered in the disorganized, casual context of public games – completely redesigning the functionality of these weapons would be a huge waste of time, especially when they can be easily excluded from competitive play.

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Quoted from emb

I can’t imagine how the item pick system could be used to provide any useful balance data. It’s worth noting that most of the items banned by leagues only have issues in organized play, and are not overpowered in the disorganized, casual context of public games – completely redesigning the functionality of these weapons would be a huge waste of time, especially when they can be easily excluded from competitive play.

^ Indeed.

I think they should support spectators first so that they can follow various matches around the world easily (like in dota with the “watch page hub”) .

Also even if the matchmaking lobby system could be a neat thing, maybe valve should instead just buy tf2lobby and improve it?

Last edited by Toba,

CapTVK

HoT<3

In relation to this development about a possible comp lobby system for 9vs9.

A few months ago there was a thread on this forum about sending a mail to Valve concerning comp. I can’t remember exactly but I do recall suggestions about a lobby system.

Did anyone from Valve give a response to that letter?

Concerning collecting data. Don’t we have a logging system in place that basically does that?
http://www.tf2logs.com/

Last edited by CapTVK,

this is evil evil

pretty huge for us that play highlander and supports highlander, and don’t really fancy 6v6 that much. Awesome move by valve, but can understand if some 6’s players is very disappointed right now.

Hopefully they will make this work, and if they do, I think the highlander community will grow exponentially, and maybe in time, even outshine 6’s as the preferred competitive gamemode. However, with that said, the pick/ban system seems unusual, and hopes this doesn’t get consequences for items like the wrangler.

SiTeHBu0mbb

DOWN

6’s dissapointed?

I don’t think so. Unlike (for example) dota where the only thing to do is matchmaking vs eachother is tf2 in general way more tailored towards casual and fun public gameplay. Only thing valve will do is create some sort of automated matchmaking without any proper whitelists, the ability to restart games (if someone messes up), lack of comms.

Noble idea, but years too late.

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Looks to me like Valve just wants to make an organized form of 12v12. Like you can get on some select pub servers where people actually use comms and teamwork.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »