Forum

ESEA Client basically a virus.

Created 1st May 2013 @ 07:41

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »

crouton

LEGO

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/1dgad2/esea_client_basically_a_virus/
http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=forums&d=topic&id=492102
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1dglil/popular_competitive_gaming_league_esea_admins/

CapTVK

HoT<3

Unbelievable! The fact that it happened and some guy(s) in ESEA actually thought it was ok to do this and more importantly who more was into this illegal BTC mining client chicanery.

I’m not sure if ESEA is actually going to recover from this.

Underyx

CRS

Here’s ESEA’s semi-official response

Netsky

while the idea itself isn’t that bad – I mean we gamers do have good gpus, right?
I despise it being a April fools joke & not telling people – I am afraid ESEA probably lost quite a few of their players there ;(

AnimaL

Quoted from CapTVK

I’m not sure if ESEA is actually going to recover from this.

seeing how first 20 comments on his appology post is like “its ok bro” i dont see why they wouldnt, americans stupid yo

IPZIE

SUAVE

It will def recover from this but the sight of the story that bothers me the most is that this guy actually tries to sell you him getting caught as good news – giving the money to the prize pool. This is a poor try to equalize the dmg for ESEA and by giving away free premium memberships for a month that you can gift away, their userbase will potencially +. Someone just got caught tryint to enrich himself which is not neccesarily a bad thing, just not on the cost of losing the trust of your costumers. This Coin Farming thing actually could have been a viable idea to increase the pricepools if it would have been published and optional ( + again increasing price money wasnt the initial idea). So…..yeah

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

I still don’t understand why bitcoins are even worth anything…

CapTVK

HoT<3

Quoted from Netsky

while the idea itself isn’t that bad – I mean we gamers do have good gpus, right?
I despise it being a April fools joke & not telling people – I am afraid ESEA probably lost quite a few of their players there ;(

The idea itself is debatable but only if the user is properly informed, knows the consequences (costs) and has given consent. This idea is not new btw, some companies already do this.
In fact, Uber Entertaintment (of SMNC fame) offers a bitcoin mining client that players can install and in return gives the equivalent(?) in SMNC items. Although I still find this morally dubious (a lot of those users are still children) at least they inform you upfront.

@Animal
Sadly, I’ve seen the “where’s my free premium code!?”-crowd post as well yes. But there’s a also a part that’s actually active in the community and they will have some serious doubt about putting more effort into it. We’ll know the real damage in a year or two.

Last edited by CapTVK,

gniedler

T4F
FuDoo :>

holy shit

Koala

hahaha

konr

Wow

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Reading this, the main problem for ESEA will be how authorities are going to react to this. If this gets picked up by the FBI, then they will have a serieus problem on their hands.

Sketch

MM

Quoted from Sideshow

You aren’t the only one. There are quite a few major flaws in the system. The first and biggest is that any currency first and foremost needs to be something that you can live off of. Something you can feed yourself with. Pay your bills with etc.

There is an argument that this isn’t its intended purpose. But that is basically all marketing. All it is actually good for is buying drugs online.

I wouldn’t bother investing its one of the most unstable currencies around

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

Quoted from Sideshow

for the same reason normal currency is worth anything. for the same reason gold has a value.

Felix Steiner

Quoted from Andee

Reading this, the main problem for ESEA will be how authorities are going to react to this. If this gets picked up by the FBI, then they will have a serieus problem on their hands.

You should watch less tv, you FBI. Also funny how everyone went apeshit while half of you retards use Chrome which is a spyware.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »