Forum

Server Plug-ins

Created 20th April 2013 @ 10:05

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

JackyLegs

4SKINGS
SDCK!

As you probably read the recent “Status Updates on Team Fortress 2 and ETF2L” news, you might have seen the section :
“Additionally, we would also like to remind you that using server plugins that enable unusual alterations of any game variables will be considered cheating in matches. This includes server plugins that allow higher FOV values than normal.This point is currently being discussed by our staff, however.”
Well, that’s a sparkle of hope they gave us, I think we should let the staff know that we adding that server plug-in will be so amazing, since if people want to play on FoV 90 it won’t matter to them that much, but if people want to play on FoV more than 90, it will make a major difference in their gamestyle.
If we can’t have the OpenPlugin on TF2, atleast allow a plug-in in our competitive servers.
What difference would it make? since we were doing the same thing only with the OpenPlugin and not with server plugins, so it will be like everything back to normal excpet pubs.. :(.

Last edited by JackyLegs,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Just because you were doing it anyway, does not justify it ;)

The proposal we are currently discussing is something along the lines of “If both teams agree to use a higher FOV, it is allowed but one team can reject to play on a server that allows higher FOV settings”, meaning nobody will be forced to play on a server that allows unusual settings.

Darn

rockit like

Allow it or Igor will delete etf2l.

beach

[DA]
[DA]

Seems a bit silly to leave it to a team’s discretion that would probably create more arguments than there are already; either allow it or ban it outright …would probably cause less trouble.

Last edited by beach,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from beach

Seems a bit silly to leave it to a team’s discretion that would probably create more arguments than there are already; either allow it or ban it outright …would probably cause less trouble.

It is not as simple as that. For example, we can not grant teams to play on a tftrue server, if at least one party wants it, because the ETF2L servers do not have tftrue installed. It also needs to be considered that a team that is against unusual settings may feel cheated, if they can not object to higher fov settings.

AnimaL

allow it, even if its another high div only rule

pubsters..kkhm i mean highlanders can live with 90 if you cant update ur servers with tftrue

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Why would anyone be against max fov 120 if it was a global competitive (or even global tf2) rule?

EDIT: The problem previously was that some people felt that they could only get rid of their disadvantage with regard to fov by installing a dodgy plugin. If everyone is able to access this option problem-free then there is no problem.

Last edited by Sideshow,

Mirelin

alus

Quoted from AnimaL

allow it, even if its another high div only rule

pubsters..kkhm i mean highlanders can live with 90 if you cant update ur servers with tftrue

Quoted from beach

I approve the main ideas of these comments.

If you won’t allow that, then I’d like to see all players who play in the Windows mode in the ban lists as well.
With windows mode and custom resolution, you can adjust your resolution up to fov_desired 110 without any problem. It’s just the players with bad computers won’t be able to do that, since windows mode reques a better computer. That means, that all players with monster PC’s like TviQ or Byte will have advantage over me, the player who has worse computer.

It is really unfair.

JackyLegs

4SKINGS
SDCK!

We already had TFTrue on many servers, this seems like a reasonable solution for all of us, it was allowed back then, why ban it now when you allowed it before?
Casual did create a new sort of “.exe” thing now, but it’s really in early alpha and the only thing it changes is the mat_picmic, for now atleast.
He did say something about the fov_desired changer “Looking into it, will be harder to do now”, so if ETF2L decides a silly decision to ban it, if TFTrue will be available to play on people who DISLIKE fov_desired > 90 they can just not use it, and the ones who do, will.
It’s like having an OpenPlugin only that some don’t use it.
One thing I saw that might cause some drama, is that some TFTrue have the fov_desiried limit to 179, which is too much, but it’s not something that coding/scripting won’t solve (I think).

Spike Himself

TC

TFTrue is a server plugin, making it possible for etf2l to control its behavour (by adding tftrue settings to the etf2l configs).

The only way to make that fair for everyone though is for etf2l to enforce usage of tftrue on *all* match servers.

There is a problem with that: tftrue is an external plugin, not endorsed by etf2l, so none of the above really is an option right now (unless etf2l wants to endorse anakin’s plugin or receive the source code of it and maintain it themselves, neither of which seem very likely at this point in time).

Competitive games have to be balanced and fair for everyone – that is a fact you cannot alter. If you use a client side plugin or hack that increases your FOV, you are gaining an advantage over players that dont want to are are not capable of using such plugins or hacks. Don’t forget that “don’t want to” is a very fair argument so long as valve deems it cheating.

When valve allows a higher FOV by default without the use of any game changing plugins or hacks, only then it becomes a personal preference for players and there is no longer any need for a discussion.

Until then, there is also no point in having a discussion about plugins – it’s simply unfair.

Yes, I agree TF2 should have the option for a higher FOV, but that is entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from JackyLegs

We already had TFTrue on many servers, this seems like a reasonable solution for all of us, it was allowed back then, why ban it now when you allowed it before?

This is a misconception. You are allowed to use tftrue during matches, e.g. to get extended damage and health stats or to automatically record stv demos. This is not going to change. However, it is not and has never been allowed in ETF2L to use it to alter any server settings to unusual values. Nothing has changed at all.

AnimaL

oh right, so lets allow plugins that vac ban players and not allow ways to change fov without vac ban

sigh etf2l…

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Quoted from Spike Himself

TFTrue is a server plugin, making it possible for etf2l to control its behavour (by adding tftrue settings to the etf2l configs).

The only way to make that fair for everyone though is for etf2l to enforce usage of tftrue on *all* match servers.

There is a problem with that: tftrue is an external plugin, not endorsed by etf2l, so none of the above really is an option right now (unless etf2l wants to endorse anakin’s plugin or receive the source code of it and maintain it themselves, neither of which seem very likely at this point in time).

Competitive games have to be balanced and fair for everyone – that is a fact you cannot alter. If you use a client side plugin or hack that increases your FOV, you are gaining an advantage over players that dont want to are are not capable of using such plugins or hacks. Don’t forget that “don’t want to” is a very fair argument so long as valve deems it cheating.

When valve allows a higher FOV by default without the use of any game changing plugins or hacks, only then it becomes a personal preference for players and there is no longer any need for a discussion.

Until then, there is also no point in having a discussion about plugins – it’s simply unfair.

Yes, I agree TF2 should have the option for a higher FOV, but that is entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I heartily endorse this event and/or product

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from AnimaL

oh right, so lets allow plugins that vac ban players and not allow ways to change fov without vac ban

sigh etf2l…

The reason why the plugin is not banned is because we have no means to enforce it, by the way. It is not allowed and a thorn in my side because of the way it works, it is merely tolerated. If you know a reliable way for us to detect if someone used an unsigned plugin to alter any client variable caps, please let me know and we can finally ban it.

The reasons why forcing tftrue on all match servers is not feasable have been explained in this thread already. I’ve also explained why it is not just black and white in the second post in this thread. If you would relate to what has been said in here, we could maybe find a solution together.

ryse

encore

what about an official etf2l plugin based on tftrue? doesn’t esea has something like this for ages?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »