Forum

TF2 - Validating Steam Files

Created 25th March 2013 @ 10:44

Add A Reply Pages: 1

ducky

Lately TF2 has had a tendency of validating my steam files everytime I (first) start it up.

I don’t wanna call it a bug but it sure is annoying.
It seems to happen somewhat randomly aswell: Some of my friends have it , some don’t.

Does anybody have any idea what could probably cause this (and how to fix it)?

PS: Inb4: I’ve searched this => https://support.steampowered.com/index.php but couldn’t find a solution :D

EDIT: If possible I’d refrain from reinstalling TF2 all over.
Downloading the whole game aswell as setting up cfg,hud and che…cherries takes a duckload of time

Last edited by ducky,

AnimaL

Steampipe is coming out in coming weeks and will get rid of this problem.

Also, about the problem, there is article on steam support: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2971-RUAG-7390

I personally had it only once and after i force checked the files and did clean restart it never came back…

Last edited by AnimaL,

Asskicker

GoT<3
HoT<3

This problem should be solved in the update when TF2 switches to SteamPipe. But here is how I fixed the problem for me:

* Delete your Team Fortress 2 folder in *SteamSteamApps (make sure to backup configs, maps, sprays, demo’s… (it will recreate the folder after you launch it again, then copy your stuff back in)
* In Steam right click on Team Fortress 2, properties, local files, verify integrity of cache
* In Steam right click on Team Fortress 2, properties, local files, Defragment cache files
* https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2971-RUAG-7390
* Restart steam
* Start Team Fortress 2
* Put your configs, maps, etc. back in your Team Fortress 2 folder

Last edited by Asskicker,

ducky

ty guys,I will try these solutions

Asskicker

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from ducky

ty guys,I will try these solutions

Try Animal’s suggestion first, it’s a lot less hassle and might work. :)

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Defragmentate the files and it should work again. Downside is that the defragmentation process can take a while…

ducky

Quoted from CanFo

Downside is that the defragmentation process can take a while…

So does validating the files every day.
I rather have it take a lot of time once than waiting ~1-2 mins everytime I wanna start the game xD

Last edited by ducky,

vøid

Quoted from ducky

[…]

So does validating the files every day.
I rather have it take a lot of time once than waiting ~1-2 mins everytime I wanna start the game xD

it takes 10-15 min on my computer, i would like it to last no longer than 2min like you

if nothing solves the issues, try this ( works 95% for me ):

delete everything from steam folders but steamapps, userdata and steam.exe and launch steam.

It’s quite quick actually, and it works well

Last edited by vøid,

iridescentFUZZ

Allow it to validate completely once day, and then try exiting steam manually(and check that it is gone via task manager) before you shut down your PC.

The next time you start up your PC it shouldn’t ask you to validate. You need to exit steam manually every time you want to shut down or restart.

Last edited by iridescentFUZZ,

Add A Reply Pages: 1