Forum

TF2 for linux

Created 6th November 2012 @ 21:51

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »

ilike2spin

RLM

So I’m playing on Vista like a pro and have been interested in switching to Ubuntu for ages, is there actually a definitive answer on the performance difference? I’d love to switch but I can’t cope with any performance cut, though I expect a performance increase really. Anyone know, I don’t really want to install otherwise.

AnimaL

Quoted from ilike2spin

So I’m playing on Vista like a pro and have been interested in switching to Ubuntu for ages, is there actually a definitive answer on the performance difference? I’d love to switch but I can’t cope with any performance cut, though I expect a performance increase really. Anyone know, I don’t really want to install otherwise.

nothing comes close to xp, ubunu gives you even worse performance than on w7

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from AnAkkk

Shame on all of you that are not installing Linux and just want to get an item.

if only valve werent such debian fanboys
(k its targeted at ubuntu mainly because thats what the baddies use.. but it still sucks :D)

ACORE

prly
[hePPa]

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]nothing comes close to xp, ubunu gives you even worse performance than on w7

Yeap, I tried it on a public server and it seemed that the fps was terrible comparing to w7. Although, I didnt change any settings and with good drivers and configuration it’s probably about the same. For the first timers Ubuntu might seem good looking and easy to use but it needs lot of tweaking and some installations are way more difficult than with windows. For example when I installed today nvidia drivers I had to write several commands to terminal to get it work properly. Google is your friend when using linux, just saying.

Someone asked about the easiest way to get the Tux. In my opinion the easiest way is to install some virtualization software (VMWare player / VirtualBox etc) and install Ubuntu there. You can work in the windows and you dont need to reboot the computer at all. Just google for example “how to install ubuntu virtualbox” and you get many answers.

Last edited by ACORE,

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

I’ve made a video tutorial on how to install linux in a vm to get the promo item: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmlBMwyMonA&feature=youtu.be

ups

Hah, seems like nvidia’s been shaping up after Linus gave them the finger.

Didn’t notice any issues, apart from broken lighting on textures here and there. That being said, I highly doubt anyone who doesn’t use Linux on a daily basis should attempt to switch to it as a gaming OS at this point.

Last edited by ups,

crouton

LEGO

Quoted from AnAkkk

Shame on all of you that are not installing Linux and just want to get an item.

I’ll change when I can get UDT, q3, DotA2 and TF2 confirmed for working on linux.

get linux just to get the new tf2 ingame item

SuperGunnar

KK
KOS

Have a friend on my team who plays TF2 with Linux Mint. It’s running fine for him. Only thing he misses is p-rec

Vaskie

BulletClub

Quoted from nTraum

I’ve made a video tutorial on how to install linux in a vm to get the promo item: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmlBMwyMonA&feature=youtu.be

Liking your video so far though i do have a question, is there no way to use my already usable TF2 i have on Windows ? Having to download the whole thing again is a pain :D

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

I liked the fastforward scratching all the places -part

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

if only valve werent such debian fanboys
(k its targeted at ubuntu mainly because thats what the baddies use.. but it still sucks :D)

Debian, best distro 1993-2013.

Skyride

DUCS

Hating Ubuntu for being easy to use is like hating on cars because you don’t need to know how to rebuild an engine block to drive.

Vaskie

BulletClub

nTraum after following your tutorial i get this error: Could not find required OpenGL entry point ‘glColorMaskIndexedEXT’! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated.

What should i do ?

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Quoted from Vaskie

nTraum after following your tutorial i get this error: Could not find required OpenGL entry point ‘glColorMaskIndexedEXT’! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated.

What should i do ?

Nothing. Start TF2 (from Windows) and enjoy your item.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »