Forum

Aid for the color impaired [Petition]

Created 1st October 2012 @ 21:57

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

As someone who knows a little about eyes i’m frankly amazed someone with your condition sees well enough to play tf2 at all. I assume you must have a HUGE monitor! Anyway, off to sign now…good luck.

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

Am I missing something here? Whats the size of his monitor got to do with seeing everything in black and white Mr Monkey?

dodgydogman

Panda

Quoted from BoneS

Am I missing something here? Whats the size of his monitor got to do with seeing everything in black and white Mr Monkey?

Maybe hes just silly?

Gl with your petition!

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Oxy

TC.Express

Signed, good luck with it.

LowRezz

done.

Shitwizard

CGAY&BB

Signed, best of luck.

mhwk

wookie
VDOH

Best luck to you! Signed!

Monkeh

Quoted from BoneS

Lesson in eye biology incoming…

We have rod and cone cells in our eyes that collect the light and pass on signals to ganglion cells that then pass them on to the brain. Each ganglion cell has input from a various number of rods or cones creating a receptive field for each ganglion. There is one type of rod and three types of cone with three different pigments in that respond to different wavelengths of light.

Cones have a LOT less cells per ganglion than rods and cones dominate the central retina, it’s where all your good vision is. (little experiment you can do to see this is look at a page of text somewhere in the middle, lock your eyes on one word and see how far away from that word WITHOUT MOVING your eyes you can still see what is written in a vertical direction, it’s around 2-4 lines depending on how big the text is, ie a very small area compared to the large overall visual field).

The way our retinas are wired means we have good acuity centrally at the expense of low light sensitivity and good peripheral sensitivity with poor acuity.

Now imagine you were standing in front of a light source that put out 1 unit of light per second and your ganglions needed 3 units of light per second to activate and send a signal to your brain. Your rods are arranged so that 5 rods go to one ganglion where your cones are 1 to 1. The cones will never activate as only 1 unit of light is hitting the ganglion whereas 5 units of light hit the rod’s ganglion receptive field and a signal is sent…the downside being there is no way for the brain to say where in the receptive field the light source is, just somewhere in that field.

Under low light levels rods dominate vision, we see in black and white with poor acuity, under high light levels the cones can activate and we see in colour with high acuity.

This is why we see in black and white at night and why looking just off to the side of what you want to see in the dark lets you see dimmer lights.

People with no cones have very poor visual acuity, hence why a huge monitor would help.

Hope I’ve explained that in a somewhat understandable way… :/

Quoted from dodgydogman

Maybe hes just silly?

This is undeniably true but a strange explanation for my post.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Koala

Of course signed. Hope they will help you and others out! Good luck! ;)

Quoted from BoneS

You should email valve directly, if you haven’t already.

Last edited by Koala,

Regen

nf.
9F

Signed, maybe get this on the next “letters to Robin” ?

profix

FLANK

Signed. Best of luck mate! :)

BunBun

Wow, such good feedback from everyone! Thanks guys! We are at 917 Signatures. I expected this to takes months but it’s only been a week! Thanks and keep it up!

BunBun

Quoted from Regen

Signed, maybe get this on the next “letters to Robin” ?

http://youtu.be/x8vpHYRkZjg?t=3m20s

Tada! Just came out :)

.Selo

Signed, good luck :)

Setlet

Quoted from Monkeh

This is why we see in black and white at night and why looking just off to the side of what you want to see in the dark lets you see dimmer lights.

OMFG you just didn’t answer a question I’ve had since I was 4. I had always wondered why I saw more light in the sides.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »