Forum

My opinion on how the European scene could go forward

Created 27th August 2012 @ 05:17

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 Next »

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]rofl just wait a week or so till the bot dies for 3 days without getting fixed and nobody plays it again

I hope you get a girlfriend one day Animal. Your life seems so bleak.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from TLR

Ruleset – As an outsider to eu tf2 who has been playing with the rules and restricitons of eu tf2 for the past month or so, I think changing up the win/time limit would speed up the pace of games which makes them more fun to watch and play typically.
Short time limits and a win-difference as apposed to a set number of rounds both make games much more time focused rather than point focused. What’s the point of pushing through a choke into an established defense when you are up and you just have to hold out for a short amount of time? Increasing the time limit and replacing the win-difference for a set win limit will produce more action and much less “bus parking.

This is something i’ve literally been saying for over a year now (me and tyrone discussed it a long time ago when i was with cc//) but when i mentioned it on here i got shot down due to my lower skill level.

Out of interest,TLR (and any of the other americans reading) would you say that the 30 minute/ difference of 5 made you play a slower, more turtle paced final? (eg. heavy on spire)

Last edited by Enef,

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from Enef

Out of interest,TLR (and any of the other americans reading) would you say that the 30 minute/ difference of 5 made you play a slower, more turtle paced final? (eg. heavy on spire)

We spoke to Pyyour about this at the event and he said it was basically as a sort of safety net that reduced the risk because it was such a big game. He said using the heavy often meant it was easier to save your medic since the heavy could take that much more focus while he ran away. He also said Enigma is the best heavy, so that too.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

My god they ran heavy a lot.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from JOHNNYJACKAL

[…]

I hope you get a girlfriend one day Animal. Your life seems so bleak.

ETF2L comment of the week.

Tornf4lk

cc//

Quoted from Extremer

[…]

I actually agree with this. However, the transition period might be hard for someone completely unfamiliar with NA TF2, so I doubt ETF2L will implement it this season, maybe the next one?

we should definately consider things though. I think we have to be open-minded, and consider both our own and the american rules, map pool is something we definately got wrong though. new maps means that you will actually have to win on team play, when it’s harder to do dming… (low divs perspective tho so I dunno I guess ^^)

TviQ

ft.

Quoted from IPZIE

or its called “lame strategies” and torden refuses to play against qn´s heavy sniper combo on gullywash. noob

He also refused to play vs yoyotech when i basicly constantly playing offclass killing him all the time :))))))

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from Tornf4lk

new maps means that you will actually have to win on team play, when it’s harder to do dming

Most would disagree with this, having a completely new map means there is less likely to be coordinated pushes since teams don’t know the maps as well, the timings between certain areas and so on. I think having too many new maps would reduce the game to pretty much just whoever has the most focused deathmatch rather than teams who can use the map to their advantage.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

It is the one map per week that would get players to learn the map. Although it has got to the point in Europe where BL seems to be every other map.

Can we, as a community, just start playing gpit, I love this map, but everyone, my teammates and others bitch about playing it, not understanding it is the fact that they don’t play it that makes it less fun.

poxie

Quoted from CrashSite

It is the one map per week that would get players to learn the map. Although it has got to the point in Europe where BL seems to be every other map.

Can we, as a community, just start playing gpit, I love this map, but everyone, my teammates and others bitch about playing it, not understanding it is the fact that they don’t play it that makes it less fun.

gpit is sick!

As a slight, not aggressive, retort to your comment, a certain pickup channel is currently running map rotation, where map votes are not used, and it’s providing more variations and a fresher feel to the pickups, there are some new maps and some golden oldies which is nice!

Last edited by poxie,

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from poxie

As a slight, not aggressive, retort to your comment, a certain pickup channel is currently running map rotation, where map votes are not used, and it’s providing more variations and a fresher feel to the pickups, there are some new maps and some golden oldies which is nice!

And here was I thinking why nobody does that to prevent the hegemony of Badlands.

envy

Quoted from ilike2spin

Most would disagree with this, having a completely new map means there is less likely to be coordinated pushes since teams don’t know the maps as well, the timings between certain areas and so on.

Yeah, I love Badlands too.

Retsh0ck

32erz
2strong

Quoted from lolage

[…]

I think your opinion is wrong. Instead of lower skilled people with potential just playing with their lower skilled friends how does the opportunity of playing with higher skilled players not sound like it could help?

I also did not say once, that this was “the problem” with EU tf2. A number of things may have to change this is just one of them.

It could and probably would help but you’re saying that as if the lower skilled players don’t get any opportunity at all to play with the higher skilled players, which is just not true. The almighty Byte invites so called ‘lower’ skilled people into mpuk2 every season afaik ( and maybe even more often than that, I don’t actually follow the invites @ pu2 ).
Also, what skinnie said really. The lower skilled players got ALOT more ‘tools’ to advance and improve their gameplay than the higher skilled players had when they were bad e.g: myself for example.
I can honestly say that I’ve never watched demos of ryb or hymzi when I just started demo, I spec’d them on stvs and watched my own demos, and improved only by talking to my teammates and getting their feedback.

p.s: Obviously I’m not your normal TF2 player, since I’m a fucking beast, but I’ve done and ‘achieved’ that myself, without watching demos/getting mentors/whatever other shit the ‘lower’ skilled players have nowadays.

FIR

SnG

Quoted from TLR

Ruleset – As an outsider to eu tf2 who has been playing with the rules and restricitons of eu tf2 for the past month or so, I think changing up the win/time limit would speed up the pace of games which makes them more fun to watch and play typically.
Short time limits and a win-difference as apposed to a set number of rounds both make games much more time focused rather than point focused. What’s the point of pushing through a choke into an established defense when you are up and you just have to hold out for a short amount of time? Increasing the time limit and replacing the win-difference for a set win limit will produce more action and much less “bus parking.”

Agreed. So very much. Having played winlimit 5 in Asia (which follows the NA ruleset quite closely last I played there), I find that games are much more fast-paced with teams willing to take risks to win. There was generally less turtling and there was always a sense of urgency in the way teams played, as each point meant one step closer to reaching their goal. It took some getting used to when I first tried windifference 5 (the laughs I got when I gg-ed at 5-4) but the general action never really is as tense or rewarding as clinching that final 5th cap and knowing you’ve just edged your opponent.

Retsh0ck

32erz
2strong

Quoted from TLR

Here are a couple of different suggests that I think really benefit the game in America.

Short time limits and a win-difference as apposed to a set number of rounds both make games much more time focused rather than point focused. What’s the point of pushing through a choke into an established defense when you are up and you just have to hold out for a short amount of time? Increasing the time limit and replacing the win-difference for a set win limit will produce more action and much less “bus parking.”

Maps – The ESEA setup of one map per week with two matches is pretty ideal. You get time to completely focus on a single map – working out strats etc and then just as it’s getting boring and repetitive, you change maps. This also means there are more maps in the pool, which gives more variety and a chance for new, better maps to come into the pool. Side note; you guys should really play more viaduct, it’s fun and a nice change of pace.

Unlocks (not a big deal) – A lot of people try to make a big deal about unlocks, but I don’t think they really matter much. I prefer to selectively allow/ban unlocks, but overall it’s not really a big deal. With or without it doesn’t make too much of a difference.

League – This one is much harder to implement than the previous suggestions. Europe definitely has America beat in terms of tournaments with the i-series and such. However; I think ESEA gives teams more incentives to improve and keep the game going all season instead of just focusing on the game before a tournament. I know a lot of europeans don’t agree with the league fees, but when those fees provide you with automatic stvs, detailed stats, prize money for the different divisions, and a lan final for the top division, it makes it more than worth it.

If you’re up and there’s a short amount of time, the team against you won’t have “an established defence” ( unless they’re fucking stupid ) because they would be losing hence why they’ll want to push you. that’s when you’re supposed to be ‘defending’ and they’re supposed to push you, that’s what makes it more interesting. I think the timelimit is ALOT better, because when the game is focused on time, it is alot more intensive rather than slow paced ( best example is the i43 finals on badlands where there were only like 30 seconds and epsilon had to push and play according to the clock – I find it to be kinda like gravelpit c point ). It also depends on the teams who are playing etc, how they play and the momentum in game and all that shit.
Also, how exactly will winlimit 5 and more timelimit prevent the choke points where both teams have uber and on one is pushing untill a pick?

Maps are a different story, it’s more about the community rather than what the league decides. you can’t get 100% success with everyone from the community, also because most of the league isn’t in prem and people don’t want to have what happend in season 10 ( or w/e season it was when everyone left ) so there’s somewhat of a survey between the community, then there is one between the prem players and we get a good mappool with most of the community happy about it ( at least that’s what’s happening this season ).

I SOOOOOOOOOORT OF agree with the unlocks/league “paragraphs”, I cba writing anymore really. :(

Last edited by Retsh0ck,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 Next »