Forum

THE REAL ISSUE OF EU TF2

Created 7th August 2012 @ 21:00

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »

kalhó

MM
Nave

I don’t know how, but it seems that you can still be surprised by how retarded admins are around here.

Poop

TSUN~
[PG]

the real issue of eu tf2 is in my asshole

rytis

PrettyGay

jesus fuck people have some dignity and stop flaming the admins, people make decisions – you cant always satisfy everyone. Also they dont get paid for doing this. Go make your own fucking league and try to run it
and theres your main problem of eu tf2 – the fucking attidude of almost everyone either “FUCK YOU LOL U SO BAD LOOOOOOOL” or “NOPE NOT A SINGLE FUCK GIVEN”

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Matt – If CanFo were to say go inactive for a week this league would struggle to function on a day to day basis, that is the level of committment he puts into it.
You have a right to an opinion on how you view people, the same way I have a right but I don’t express it publicy on this forum in an insulting manner as it is against the forum rules and neither should you.

Vali – topic is derailing, the only person you’re really arguing against is CanFo here so I think it would be more suitable to go into IRC and contact him personally, or use #etf2l, someone will respond there.

Back to the main topic please, I don’t think this discussion is going anywhere I apologise on behalf of Admins for allowing it to derail.

Fester

Just gonna go ahead and say the league is fine and dandy

ashkan

http://ubuntuone.com/0n352YwUjlcFR8PjIELH67
Page 39-41.
Highlights the importance of diversity, as well as the importance of respectable collaboration, both of which have been brought up here.

————-

DIVERSITY

The building blocks of community are its teams, and the material that makes these blocks are people. When we understand people, we can build humane environments that are energizing and inspiring. Central elements of a healthy environment are respect, diversity, and rewarding people for their efforts, regardless of who they are or where they come from. Typically, when we talk about diversity, we use familiar examples: gender, race, sexuality, and class. Although important, these poster children of diversity can sometimes focus attention away from subtler and potentially more potent forms of diversity that we can encourage, explore, and celebrate. Diversity descends much deeper than skin color and gender. George B. Graen, author of Dealing with Diversity (Information Age Publishing), argues that not all differences are equally relevant or as important as you would think in all circumstances. He broadly divides diversity into surface-level diversity—readily observable characteristics such as race, gender, and age—and deep-level diversity, important but less readily transparent traits such as personality, values, and attitudes.

Building deep-level diversity can bring a wealth of goodwill and openness to your community. Often these deeper, hidden kinds of diversity teach us life’s most valuable lessons. While all equality is important, we need to grow this sense of deep-level diversity. At the start of the chapter we identified that we need to build an environment that is conducive to energizing and enabling our community. Deep-level diversity is the open door that welcomes this enablement. When you encourage this deep-level diversity of contributions (e.g., translations, documentation, development) as well as diversity of opinions, values, and experience, your members will feel unrestrained, unrestricted, and energized. This should be a constant consideration throughout your work. Unfortunately, many communities merely focus on hammering home equality of surface-level diversity, but Graen suggests in Dealing with Diversity that it doesn’t make a big difference in the effectiveness of the community: In a study of 45 teams from electronics divisions of three major corporations, Pelled, Eisenhardt, and Xin (1999) found that the effects of surface-level diversity (age) on emotional conflict diminished as a function of team longevity. Similarly, Chatman and Flynn (2001) found that demographic homogeneity (race and gender) was less predictive of team cooperation as team members interacted with each other.

This insight is interesting when combined with another research study, also discussed in Graen’s book, that found that deep-level diversity provides the kinds of benefits we are looking for: In a study of 144 student project teams, Harrison, Price, Gavin, and Florey (2002) found that surface-level diversity negatively affected early cohesion in the team. Over the course of a semester working together, surface-level diversity became less predictive, whereas actual deeplevel diversity (measured by conscientiousness, task meaningfulness, and outcome importance) and perceptions of deep-level diversity became increasingly important to team social cohesion and performance.

Although this experiment may seem a little abstract, Graen summarizes that “as team members interact, attributions about underlying differences based on race, gender, and age are likely to be minimized; however, the underlying differences in terms of personality, values, and attitudes are likely to have an increasingly negative effect on team cohesion and performance.” We need to be cognizant of these underlying deep-level attributes in people and ensure that we encourage and help them thrive in our communities. Deep-level diversity is further underlined by the sheer extent of diversity in most communities, particularly those online. Diversity is everywhere. We have so many opinions (sometimes it can feel like too many), viewpoints, perspectives, recommendations, and other reactions to stimuli. At every step, we need to foster and encourage open and frank debate. Every communication channel that you construct needs to have a common theme of openness and respect that encourages this kind of diversity.

Although this is an intellectually responsible position, people are people, and people can be irresponsible. For diversity to thrive and prosper, it needs to be built on a foundation of respect. When members of a community are respectful and considerate of one another, it encourages an environment in which people feel comfortable bringing their own kind of diversity to the game. It is this respect that affirms Graen’s previous acknowledgment of the risks of diversity on team cohesion and performance. In the Ubuntu community, there is an important document called the “Ubuntu Code of Conduct” that builds this foundation of respect in contributors. I have reproduced the core of the document here, as it not only outlines these core attributes of respect, but also could be useful in a range of communities:

Be considerate
Your work will be used by other people, and you in turn will depend on the work of others. Any decision you make will affect users and colleagues, and we expect you to take those consequences into account when making decisions. For example, when we are in a feature freeze, please don’t upload dramatically new versions of critical system software, as other people will be testing the frozen system and will not be expecting big changes.

Be respectful
The Ubuntu community and its members treat one another with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. We may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It’s important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with people outside the Ubuntu project, and with users of Ubuntu.

[…]

———–

I’d recommend reading the whole book, really, 80 % of it is strongly relevant to our community.

ouch

Entire community is babys!

What sick man sends babies to fight CanFo?

i stop rewriting stupid tf2-quotes at this point…

kalhó

MM
Nave

Quoted from rytis

jesus fuck people have some dignity and stop flaming the admins, people make decisions – you cant always satisfy everyone. Also they dont get paid for doing this. Go make your own fucking league and try to run it
and theres your main problem of eu tf2 – the fucking attidude of almost everyone either “FUCK YOU LOL U SO BAD LOOOOOOOL” or “NOPE NOT A SINGLE FUCK GIVEN”

You can’t be looking at the same topic as I am. What i have seen so far is the total waste of well-intentioned people. A bunch of people willing to discuss, share opinions, suggestions and solutions, all thrown away because admins can’t listen to the opinion of other people who care and want to help without taking it as direct criticisms, feeling the need to justify themselves when nobody cares. Ending always, like it is now, with rants towards the admins and they fighting back.

If you don’t agree, just look back how much this as been shifted from the OP.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from kalhó

[…]

You can’t be looking at the same topic as I am. What i have seen so far is the total waste of well-intentioned people. A bunch of people willing to discuss, share opinions, suggestions and solutions, all thrown away because admins can’t listen to the opinion of other people who care and want to help without taking it as direct criticisms, feeling the need to justify themselves when nobody cares. Ending always, like it is now, with rants towards the admins and they fighting back.

If you don’t agree, just look back how much this as been shifted from the OP.

what the fuck you talking about? where is this so called waste of well intentioned people? Admins cant listen? Maybe you cant provide your criticism like a normal person?

ilike2spin

RLM

I applied to be an admin after I trialed for ESL for a month and my email was never replied to. I would love to invest some time to give back to the league but I will admit I’m not much of an ideas man, if someone gives me some ideas of things to do I’m willing to help, as are a vast number of others.

There are the go getters who make the ideas, they just need to make better use of the people who are willing to help, you can’t expect everyone to be a go getter, that simply isn’t the case. I’d love to help but I really don’t know where my help is needed or who would want it. Even if it just came down the menial things like inputting match data I’d be willing to invest some time but I just don’t know who to talk to about that when I already tried the standard email address for the league.

atmo

it seems that a change of the guard might have left you with higher chances of application success now, spin.

I am happy to be character reference for ilike2spin. As badmoTV’s first and only fan it is clear he is sound of judgement.

Last edited by atmo,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

When can I get early early bird tickets to the next time this topic gets made again?

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Quoted from ashkan

Be respectful
The etf2l community and its members should treat one another with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to etf2l. We may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It’s important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members of the etf2l community to be respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with people outside etf2l, and with users of etf2l.

That should be in the rules of this forum. Some people’s attitudes and online persona’s are pretty disgusting tbh.

Last edited by Monkeh,

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

That should be in the rules of this forum. Some people attitudes and online persona’s are pretty disgusting tbh.

Online anonymity br0, it comes as standard.

Monkeh

s’pose it’s like being in a car and shouting and screaming at someone who annoys you where as walking past the same person annoying you in the street you’d be all like, “sorry…my fault”.

People are shit.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »