Forum

THE REAL ISSUE OF EU TF2

Created 7th August 2012 @ 21:00

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from IPZIE

[…]

apply officially please. or maybe i have to swear now to show that im very unsure about my personality inside :|

I’m sure they can find my AC admin application from 2 years ago, the situation hasn’t changed.

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Quoted from jonii

[…]

http://i.imgur.com/x9iaE.jpg

I just cba to type out all the reasons. Feel free to pm me on IRC and we’ll go mumble and I’ll walk you through the problems with your post.

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

I’m sure they can find my AC admin application from 2 years ago, the situation hasn’t changed.

Yeah I’ve been rejected/ignored several times applying for ETF2L admin.

Koeitje and I have both admined ESL and if I remember right the problem people always had was with the system/anti-cheat not with the admins not to mention we both have other relevant experience. So I can’t see why we would be unqualified. Dunno about Koeitje but I was personally given no feedback

Last edited by CommanderX,

IPZIE

SUAVE

^ same for me

Swarlz

The real problem behind TF2 is commander x because he hasnt spoken to me in ages :(

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from IPZIE

^ same for me

Well, if Ipz gets the job, then both CommanderX and Koejei (I am not fucking spelling you name right) can both help Ipz unofficially.

He said he didn’t have the strongest English, so both of you can help proof read articles, be the contacts with community leaders and other things that require strong English.

I can also help in that regard, my experience consists of living in China for a month and trying to work out what the fuck people were saying to me all that time <3

IPZIE

SUAVE

in my application i already asked for a little staff to build arround this position so we can split up the work and have a fruitful relationship

❤ :3

dSp\'

There’s one thing that’s not being considered here, it’s the fact that everyone (or mostly everyone) speaks english in the NA scene.

If you’ve ever been on a US pub server, there’re people talking to each other. Even on shitty valve servers.
Not that it’s gonna change a lot, but the simple fact that there’s one language spoken and understood by almost everyone makes it much easier for people to inform others about streams/comp/etc…(it also gives a much better pub experience, but that’s another thing).

The amount of people in the EU scene who don’t or barely speak english are massive.

Edit: I’m not saying this is the main issue, just one more thing to be considered

Last edited by ❤ :3,

Poop

TSUN~
[PG]

STFU please

My friends r7an and Dahmer are gonna clean you all out. Your rectums that is.

Last edited by Poop,

yin

first time that i have to say ippz is right :/

irfx

EPA

Quoted from longas

TF2 is a game made for casuals and valve created it with that purpose in mind, that’s the real issue. The difference between pub servers and competitive 6on6 has been too big since the beginning (now even more with all the unlocks), Valve has never cared about the competitive scene of this game and they aren’t going to do it now.

So true. The more I play tf2 the clearer I see that they just didn’t realize the whole potential of the game. Or didn’t want to realize.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from ❤ :3

There’s one thing that’s not being considered here, it’s the fact that everyone (or mostly everyone) speaks english in the NA scene.

If you’ve ever been on a US pub server, there’re people talking to each other. Even on shitty valve servers.
Not that it’s gonna change a lot, but the simple fact that there’s one language spoken and understood by almost everyone makes it much easier for people to inform others about streams/comp/etc…(it also gives a much better pub experience, but that’s another thing).

The amount of people in the EU scene who don’t or barely speak english are massive.

Edit: I’m not saying this is the main issue, just one more thing to be considered

Yeah it is an issue you run into. But on the flip side, if you can get smaller communities who all speak the same language, it is easier to work with them. So for example a French one, if we get a French player to talk with them, it might be easier to manage than one big english one.

flix

n2o

i agree with everything ippez said!

ashkan

Got a good discussion going on with a lot of valid points so far.

Maybe a few sidetrackings though. Remember that even short unnecessary remarks can affect the course of the discussion, so pleased avoid that ;) And of course, no insults please…

I commend ipz for sending in an application now. I know it is easy and understandable for someone to hold a grudge against a staff that didn’t even answer your previous application (no matter the reason). The same goes for other attempts at helping out. A simple thing like “an admin didn’t forum ban someone I once reported” can grow into “your forum moderation sucks and is inconsistent”. Similarly, an unacknowledged application can completely change the applicant’s view of the staff.

So that was definitely something that had to be improved. The staff has changed very much in a relatively short time, and with CanFo settled in as a highly productive German head admin, they are really trying to make some fundamental improvements. They have wanted to improve the admin application process for some time, and they are taking care of it now. The Join Us page is of course part of that: http://etf2l.org/etf2l/jobs/

While we are on this subject, I would also like to point out the importance of how a volunteer behaves towards his peers: It is absolutely essential for the volunteer staff to have a good atmosphere. There is no money to keep them here. They have to interact with each other every day and regularly debate controversial subjects. So if you cannot carry on a discussion in a pleasant manner and channel your frustration constructively, both in public and in private, you shouldn’t volunteer for a something like this. They’ve had volunteers quit because they didn’t enjoy the atmosphere, or because of conflicts with community members, or even being kicked due to poor behaviour. So if you think your reputation might not be the best when applying, please understand that the existing staff might find that important.

I would also like to focus on something that has been brought up a few times now: Organizations like ETF2L and VanillaTF2 are volunteer organisations. They are a service for the community, by the community. The ETF2L volunteer staff as a whole does not hold any interest other than that of the community. This community is not a part of ETF2L; ETF2L is a part of this community. I think people tend to forget that sometimes, players and volunteers alike.

When I decided to join the volunteer staff, I didn’t have any confirmation that they wanted to invest time into a Highlander league, despite the countless hours of public and private debate. But I wanted a league, and I knew that many community members wanted one as well. So I joined the staff, convinced them to give me a chance, got confirmation, recruited admins and finally created the league.

It’s about taking matters into your own hands and being the change you want to see. If you truly wish for something to change, but can’t bother being that change, then you cannot expect it of anyone else. It is not their duty or obligation. If ETF2L lacks certain qualities, then who is to blame for that? The people who actually contribute in some way, or the people standing at the sideline bravely pointing out how badly they are doing?

The answer: All of us are to blame. Because again, ETF2L is part of the community. It is a reflection of our community’s commitment. It is the product we as a whole manage to produce.

Now, an important prerequisite for this is that people are in fact able to contribute. If the staff doesn’t answer someone’s application, then that person might become a permanently lost asset to the league. I know that this has actually happened to people in the past, due to previous management of applications. But as I mentioned, the current staff has improved this and set up an application page: http://etf2l.org/etf2l/jobs/
So to anyone who wishes to volunteer to help improve things: I urge you to send in an application now, leaving any past experiences behind you.

jabu

Quoted from ❤ :3

+1

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

If you are interested in how to advertise e-sports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIIsxpxz92g&feature=g-vrec

That is not a bad way.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »