Forum

AnAkIn Anti-Cheat v3.2

Created 11th April 2012 @ 14:06

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 73 Next »

trams

-><-

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

And what about the server specific logs? How would I protect the ones I don’t want to be caught? The server admin can still see them.
And it’s still the same problem anyway, if I wouldn’t want someone to be caught it’s not some sort of “public list” that would stop me from doing so, I could still exclude someone from getting in that list? It’s just a matter of trust. It’s the same problem with any AC or AC staff.

Yeah, but 80% of the server admins would only check the logs for a couple of weeks and then never again….

And about Nace, was it your plugin or dBlocker who “caught” him?

AnAkkk

Quoted from trams

[…]

Yeah, but 80% of the server admins would only check the logs for a couple of weeks and then never again….

And about Nace, was it your plugin or dBlocker who “caught” him?

DBlocker.

Quoted from nTraum

[…]

grow up.

What he says isn’t really meaningless. Steam do sends some informations to Valve servers without even telling you they’re doing it. They’re sending informations such as your Windows CD Key, HDD/CD/DVD HW IDs, windows username, etc. It’s stored on Valve servers and it’s not written anywhere in the agreement when you install Steam.

Quoted from smziii

funny part is that it also detected droso and natural :DDDD
both werent triggerboting but had old or broken mice :DDDDD

So? Anything you didn’t understand in “potential”? :)

Last edited by AnAkkk,

Snyyppis

RLM

People are getting worried. :)

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]
They’re sending informations such as your Windows CD Key, HDD/CD/DVD HW IDs, windows username, etc. It’s stored on Valve servers and it’s not written anywhere in the agreement when you install Steam.

Wasn’t the hardware survey an opt in thing?

Also from http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

Valve software automatically generates and submits to Valve bug reports upon a crash or other fault in the Valve software. This automatically generated bug report information may include information about other software or hardware on a user’s system. Valve does not associate and store the automatically generated bug report information with personally identifiable information.

It’s been a while since I’ve installed steam, but they probably will link to the privacy statements or present them before you agree to them, failing to do so would be problematic for them :P

IPZIE

SUAVE

dont really get the idea – looks like schindlers list on the top of that article but in the end its all just ” potencial” so whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

AnimaL

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

So why are you posting under an alias?

look in my esl profile to find my credic card details if u must

AnAkkk

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

Wasn’t the hardware survey an opt in thing?

It has nothing to do with the hardware survey. These informations are sent every time you launch steam during the login process. They added that silently at some point last year.

Last edited by AnAkkk,

irfx

EPA

Quoted from Snyyppis

People are getting worried. :)

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

What he says isn’t really meaningless. Steam do sends some informations to Valve servers without even telling you they’re doing it. They’re sending informations such as your Windows CD Key, HDD/CD/DVD HW IDs, windows username, etc. It’s stored on Valve servers and it’s not written anywhere in the agreement when you install Steam.

[…]

source?

My repsonse was referring to his inability to talk in an appropriate manner.
Anyhow, it’s all about trustworthiness, isn’t it? This thread is not for discussing this in general, but I’m afraid to say that I’m trusting Valve more than I do trust you (or any other 3rd person who wants me to install proprietary anti cheat software incl ‘calling home’ capabilities ony my servers). That’s all I wanted to add to the discussion.

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from IPZIE

dont really get the idea – looks like schindlers list on the top of that article but in the end its all just ” potencial” so whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

See it as a filter (bad analogy maybe), it will flag anything that looks suspicious so you can review them later.

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

For the people who misunderstand the purpose of this plugin, let me explain it with an example.
In this example we’re going to take a look at a league consisting of 200 players, let’s say 2 of these people are actually cheating.

The league’s anticheat team works like this:
1) Every so often a random person is asked to hand over their demo for inspection.
2) People who are being reported are inspected.

The chances of finding the cheater using method 1) is 2/200 (for statistics fascists: 1-(198/200)^requests). This is so low it’s not worth doing.
I’ve no idea how to compute the chances for method 2, which depends on player’s abilities to catch people actually cheating. Yeah that’s not going to cut it either.

Now enter AnAkIn’s trbot detector (or ANY heuristics based anti-cheat): Let’s assume that the plugin has a 80% false positive rate (and I’m very confident the plugin’s false positive rate is far lower)
Let’s say it detected 10 people, only 2 of them are actual cheaters.

The idea here is that the workload for AC admins is severely reduced (from 2/200 chance to catch someone to 2/10). This is already a MASSIVE improvement.

Notes:
Since the plugin will only catch triggerbots people can still get away using other hacks, for now they’ll have to rely on player reports to catch the others.
The actual numbers presented here don’t mean anything, even if they’re far off from the truth, using heuristics like this will always (depending on the quality of the heuristic) be helpful.
Most important fact is that this method ADDS to the arsenal of the anti-cheat admin, all the old methods still apply.
As stated in the OP, this plugin is a TOOL used by admins to increase their chances of catching cheaters.

Too many false positives to actually be useful

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Casual

The idea here is that the workload for AC admins is severely reduced (from 2/200 chance to catch someone to 2/10). This is already a MASSIVE improvement.

Or increased, depending on the amout of false positives that need checking vs current reports of cheating + random demo checks.

AnAkkk

Quoted from nTraum

[…]
source?

People from http://opensteamworks.org/ for example that analyzed the steam login protocol to make other steam clients like a linux steam client. You can also open your steamclient.dll in IDA and you’ll find that it calls a function inside the login one that does a lot of Windows WMI calls on various PC components.

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

So? Anything you didn’t understand in “potential”? :)

if i make a coinflip decision about every player it also has a “potential” chance of detecting a cheater;)

but nevermind keep up the work with your plugin cuz i think we really need a relyable plugin

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 73 Next »