Forum

Vent or Mumble?

Created 28th March 2012 @ 15:20

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

wrex

Quoted from chipstalaizah

In mumble, you get the answer before completing the question.

irfx

EPA

Teamspeak 3 is the best tbh

Setlet

I’ve heard all the russians use TS3

Last edited by Setlet,

irfx

EPA

Quoted from Setlet

I’ve heard all the russians use TS3

80% for sure, that is why russians are so awesome!

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Mumble feels like its been built in a shed with wooden tools… Yeah it’s nicely freeware and opensource but it randomly crashes on startup and speex doesn’t like it when you don’t use crappy consumer grade soundcards apparently. I’d be happy if we’d start using TS3, but that’s probably not going to happen :P

mastahpogo

Vetriloooooo :D

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from skeej

Mumble feels like its been built in a shed with wooden tools… Yeah it’s nicely freeware and opensource but it randomly crashes on startup and speex doesn’t like it when you don’t use crappy consumer grade soundcards apparently. I’d be happy if we’d start using TS3, but that’s probably not going to happen :P

It probably was, a couple of the .:ne:. guys know the guys that made it and hang out in their IRC, that’s probably the best place to go to pass on any issues/suggestions to be honest.

Le meme arrows

TS3 is better than those two shits. Even Skype is better than Vent.

Rdios

REVERTO

Quoted from skeej

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Mumble does a lot of things right.

– It’s free to use and host without limits
– The latency is very low
– The quality is pretty good
– The ACL system to set up user rights is really flexible (although complicated and intimidating)

There’s a few stupid things as well:
– User authentication using certificates. This is technically a great way to do authentication, except real people keep losing the certificates. The FB mumble is full of: user, user, userrr, userrr, user1, user11. All the same person, just reinstalling Windows/Mumble.
We never had this on Mumble 1.1, which simply had user/password authentication.
– Overcomplicated channel ‘passwords’ system.

I believe both Ventrilo and TS3 improved quality and latency in recent years, but their licensing model is still retarded, so I’m sticking with Mumble.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

multiplay pickups on Ventrilo, those were the days!

Hear people comming about stuff happened 5 seconds ago. :D

Setlet

Quoted from Arie

I believe both Ventrilo and TS3 improved quality and latency in recent years, but their licensing model is still retarded, so I’m sticking with Mumble.

What do you mean with “licensing model”?

Please popularize it aswell :)

Last edited by Setlet,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Setlet

[…]

i believe the words being searched for are “proprietary dogshit”

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from Setlet

[…]

Both Ventrilo and Teamspeak have limited number of licensed server hosters. At times Ventrilo didn’t even accept new hosters. They do now, under strict conditions and a minimum of 1000 slots.

Teamspeak has a more reasonable licensing model. They have per-slot packages for big hosters and annual payments for smaller hosts. Running the FB mumble as a teamspeak server would only cost a hundred dollars annually.

However, Mumble gives me a great server that’s free to host. There’s no licensing bullshit to deal with and no annual/monthly fees.
This allows me to offer free mumble channels to everyone that wants one

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2