Forum

F2 or anyone else. (Pickup Bots.)

Created 29th February 2012 @ 10:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Why would you want to promote circlejerking? Surely new and other unknown people should be given a chance to play too?

AnimaL

Add more decent player cap? Maybe max class limits, like max 5 soldiers, max 5 scouts, etc… If you are new and add fast you have good chance to play…

its not like u cant improve yank system imo

Last edited by AnimaL,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Spike Himself

Why would you want to promote circlejerking? Surely new and other unknown people should be given a chance to play too?

Like Animal said, there are many ways to improve on this system. Also, people should feel encouraged to make playing with them more enjoyable, to improve as a teamplayer, etc. You could also just put a 12 player limit on the bot (unlike the NA pickup) and captains will be forced to pick from the first 12 added? That’s just a random thought but it already seems to fix the problem.

Dummy

Quoted from skeej

If anybody is still thinking about taking the code of an existing bot an modifying it, please follow Animal’s advice and make it a NA-pug captain style pickup.

Why? We can try to enforce all kinds of rules and regulations to try and make sure that the pickups are fair, balanced, and enjoyable for everyone, but in the end, the best method of regulation is social control.

Just putting that out there, maybe too close to a Simpsons-style “someone else should do it”, but in this case it’s more “IF someone else is tempted to do it, then please do it this way” :P

^.
make captaining only possible for people with e.g. 20+ games. in the beginning just give captain to a couple of active people who ask nicely and warn them they will be banned if they troll in their picks. usually works =p

AnimaL

NA system exercises good competition between players, they want to play better to be picked again and keep playing… Yes it is bit absurd you can have 10 medics added, but with 3/4 cap you will have exactly what you need…

same for other classes

only problem you still need to find solution to is when shitters go captain just to get picked… maybe only medics can be captains, added with certain players(prem or other good ones maybe) dunno, you can discuss.

Last edited by AnimaL,

Skyride

DUCS

Animal, why do you only ever see the pros to alternative systems? You just say “look at what is better about this system” rather than ever seeing “look at what’s worse about it”. Grass is always greener on the other side mate.

Dummy

Quoted from Skyride

Animal, why do you only ever see the pros to alternative systems? You just say “look at what is better about this system” rather than ever seeing “look at what’s worse about it”. Grass is always greener on the other side mate.

having played around 230 games in the current pug.na (captain) and around 200 in the old pug.na (also captain) I can safely say it’s 10x better than what we have in EU.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
having played around 230 games in the current pug.na (captain) and around 200 in the old pug.na (also captain) I can safely say it’s 10x better than what we have in EU.

I feel pretty confident saying that it is only 10x better because almost everyone is using it. I don’t think the system from pixelpickup or w/e is the problem, but the activity.

AnimaL

Quoted from Skyride

Do you see your random bot as the ultimate system then? Or do you want me to say obvious things why random teams are bad?

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

I thought the teams were skill weighted in PU2 and Pixel?

i.e. everyone has values assigned representing their ability at the various classes

AnimaL

Quoted from Admirable

i.e. everyone has values assigned representing their ability at the various classes

only pug2 has working skill system, pixel still generates random teams

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Admirable

Theres no point really. People don’t play enough games for it to work. You’d need like a few months worth of the current activity level for it to start having accurate ratings.

octochris

(0v0)

I’m inclined to say skill systems don’t work no matter how much data you have. People aren’t predictably skilled in pickups, even if you weight it by class.

This goes more for open pickups than pu2/etc, but it still stands to some degree.

The captains system encourages a higher quality of pickups from what I can see. Whether this actually happens or not I don’t know because I haven’t ever really played them (but from what I’ve heard it works fairly well).

Last edited by octochris,

Dummy

Quoted from octochris

I’m inclined to say skill systems don’t work no matter how much data you have. People aren’t predictably skilled in pickups, even if you weight it by class.

This goes more for open pickups than pu2/etc, but it still stands to some degree.

The captains system encourages a higher quality of pickups from what I can see. Whether this actually happens or not I don’t know because I haven’t ever really played them (but from what I’ve heard it works fairly well).

Tends to be like that, neither of the captains want to lose quickly and 40+ games requirement for captaining means they usually know the people added up.
only improvement which would be nice would be if someone adds as medic captain then they always get 1st pick, and if its 2 of those then whoever did more of it gets 1st pick or somethin like that

stuntz

#tf2pickup.pt uses a similar bot to F2’s :) tho Comics made some changes to it to make skill levels usable.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »