Forum

What improvements with upgrading GPU only?

Created 8th December 2011 @ 15:05

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Quoted from minimoose

And that is why I got a 2500k instead of upgrading my gtx260

It has let me play Skyrim on Ultra nice and smooth, so it aint all bad :D

Beautiful looking game at times: http://steamcommunity.com/id/12332121/screenshot/632985035297771699

Last edited by Monkeh,

Beef

Dawson

Quoted from octochris

[…]

100€ that goes towards the goal of increasing fascist multinationals…

I’ll challenge you to find an activity where you spend money that doesn’t in any way increase the profit of a fascist multinational!

RareSpycrab

Quoted from slate

I don’t think I will ever get why people are so cheap about a Windows License.

What is it like 100€?

You will be using it almost every day of the year for about 3 years, maybe even longer.

Let’s assume you will be using the lincense for 3 years, 300days a year and like 2h avg on each day.

That’s 1800hours total windows usage, so you will be paying 0.05€ per hour

more stupid calculations based on the games on your profile (I’ll use current prices, you probably paid double):

Brink: 1€ / h
CoD:BO: 3€ / h
CoD:MW2: 0.60€ / h
CoD:MW3: 8.50€ / h

When you put it that way it seems worth it. I’ve had windows xp for the past 6 or 7. Might shell out at christmas

WildEast

.:EnG!:.
<3

Quoted from Ghostface

TF2, unlike the other source games, is based on a horrible engine(or revision of it w/e), and so it takes most of the resources from the CPU, not the GPU.

How is TF2 (A source engine game), based on a horrible engine, unlike other Source engine games?
Also the engine is pretty cool, you get over 60 fps on almost every low priced graphics card coupled with a mid priced CPU, which is much better than any other modern game, people over ETF2L wanting 200+ fps is not the engine’s fault and it should require a very good CPU.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Beef

[…]

I’ll challenge you to find an activity where you spend money that doesn’t in any way increase the profit of a fascist multinational!

Spent £3 on some locally grown jam, didn’t increase the profit of a fascist multinational.

Quoted from Ghostface

TF2, unlike the other source games, is based on a horrible engine(or revision of it w/e), and so it takes most of the resources from the CPU, not the GPU.

Er, no…

Skyride

DUCS

A game will only run as fast as the limiting component in your pc will allow it to. Although this can be anything from the motherboard to the USB port, 99.9% of the time you’re going to find it’ll be either you CPU or graphics card.

Take my laptop for example. It gets about 120-200fps on badlands in a 6v6 with chris max fps. It has a 1.6Ghz i7 quad and a radeon 4670m. I know for a fact the limiting factor by a mile is the graphics card. If i were to upgrade my CPU to one of the sick new 2nd gen sandy bridge laptop i7’s, i’d see little if any improvement in fps. However if i were to upgrade the graphics card to say, a radeon 4870m, i’d see a vast like twice the fps improvement. If i were to then upgrade my cpu, i’d probably still see not a huge improvement because the cpu and gfx are fairly equally matched.

Its just a case of paying a ton of attention to benchmarks.

Last edited by Skyride,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

grown jam

wut

Monkeh

lol, Spike hesn’t heard of the Grest British Jam trees!

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Skyride

A game will only run as fast as the limiting component in your pc will allow it to. Although this can be anything from the motherboard to the USB port, 99.9% of the time you’re going to find it’ll be either you CPU or graphics card.

Take my laptop for example. It gets about 120-200fps on badlands in a 6v6 with chris max fps. It has a 1.6Ghz i7 quad and a radeon 4670m. I know for a fact the limiting factor by a mile is the graphics card. If i were to upgrade my CPU to one of the sick new 2nd gen sandy bridge laptop i7’s, i’d see little if any improvement in fps. However if i were to upgrade the graphics card to say, a radeon 4870m, i’d see a vast like twice the fps improvement. If i were to then upgrade my cpu, i’d probably still see not a huge improvement because the cpu and gfx are fairly equally matched.

Its just a case of paying a ton of attention to benchmarks.

Ladies (lol) and Gentlemen what Skyride has pointed out is bottle necks. If you don’t understand the concept go to your local shop get a bottle of your favourite beverage and stare at the neck of it for 10 hours.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Si^

[…]

Ladies (lol) and Gentlemen what Skyride has pointed out is bottle necks. If you don’t understand the concept go to your local shop get a bottle of your favourite beverage and stare at the neck of it for 10 hours.

Drink from a bottle and drink from a glass; which drinks faster? :)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

AnimaL

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Drink from a bottle and drink from a glass; which drinks faster? :)

the bigger the bottleneck, the better?

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]the bigger the bottleneck, the better?

Doesn’t a big bottleneck equal to a glass though? But what if the size of the bottleneck wasn’t limited? Infinitely increasing bottleneck.

We are on the verge of a technological breakthrough here gentlemen.

Beef

Dawson

Quoted from octochris

[…]

Spent £3 on some locally grown jam, didn’t increase the profit of a fascist multinational.

[…]

Er, no…

The jam was cooked. The jar was made. You perhaps used your car to go buy the jam. Pesticides were probably used on the fruit. Energy spent -> Fascist multinationals benefited!

Just pointing out that pretty much anything we do benefits these ‘evil’ companies. So as an argument it’s void.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Beef

[…]

The jam was cooked. The jar was made. You perhaps used your car to go buy the jam. Pesticides were probably used on the fruit. Energy spent -> Fascist multinationals benefited!

Just pointing out that pretty much anything we do benefits these ‘evil’ companies. So as an argument it’s void.

The jam wasn’t cooked (wtf), it was made by hand from fruit on land that is not owned by a company (owned by an individual), no pesticides, I walked to the market.

Gladdy

Quoted from octochris

[…]

The jam wasn’t cooked (wtf)

http://www.pickyourown.org/jam.htm
“Mix the berries with the pectin and cook to a full boil”

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »