Forum

Quickfix

Created 24th June 2011 @ 21:28

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 Next »

Danzeru

Royal`
MAD

It needs testing. A lot of testing. But right now I’m certainly in favour of using the Quick Fix as long as the rest of the game is vanilla (no equalizer, sandvich, bonk, etc.) This is important as these things make the quickfix extremely overpowered. Equalizer means both sollies EQ to mid and the team is overall stupidly, stupidly fast. As a medic I’ve always been vouching for that thing to be banned as getting bombed at mid 24/7 is not my idea of fun. Sandvich makes heavies with a quickfix even more unkillable than they usually are (sandvich should be banned anyway, 150 health is too much.) And bonk + quickfix medic is annoying as hell.

As rAye said, it’s important we have a stable base in order to build tactics and counter tactics for the new medigun.

One thing for sure is that it totally revolutionises mid. Which is potentially quite scary but certainly exciting. I mean sure the medic will be there faster and give the demo better support but if the other demo plays clever and doesn’t die, just wait for the air cavalry to arrive and watch the gibs fly. The buffed soldiers will trounce the enemy team.

I don’t know why people are saying the medic will have uber before solly gets to mid or you can get two quickfix ubers in the time you get a single regular uber. It charges just as fast as a kritz people: 25% faster. (Though note that charge rate doesn’t cap when you heal somebody to maximum so you can charge a quickfix with a scout as fast as you would with a solly.)

Quickfix pushes can be cancelled via a well placed sticky trap or any form of spike damage really. Kritz hard counters quickfix extremely effectively as does regular good teamplay in the form of calling focuses.

The one thing to remember about the quickfix is that it’s *incredibly* good at keeping the heal target alive but everybody else is not buffed so if they wander off away from the medic or start jumping around too much, they’re going to get mauled.

I think amongst all the crap that Valve has thrown at us in the Uber update, with the quickfix, they’ve given us the potential to breath life into the 6v6 scene while maintaining the core elements that we’ve developed for the game and love so much.

However all of this still needs to be thoroughly tested as I think TF2 is in precarious situation at the moment and season 10 is an important time for the game which should not contain anything that isn’t Kritz or Ubersaw without copious amounts of testing.

Last edited by Danzeru,

Gladdy

+1

Gubbins

Op4

Equaliser limit 1?

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Gubbins

Equaliser limit 1?

what pocket even uses equalizer?

Mike

TEZC

Quoted from Gubbins

Equaliser limit 1?

could work, would be interesting, just thinking sollies may have to do other stuff now, maybe paintrain for them? and animal suggested GRU for heavies, but i dunno i mean how many unlocks?

kritz ubersaw blutsaguer quickfix gru equaliser paintrain in my opinion would be nice but probably too much for most :D
maybe gunboats for solly too?

Enef

fest
#wubafan

In the mixes we’ve playe with it we use it to counter kritz, kritz to counter uber and uber to counter quick fix. It’s an interesting little rock paper scissors game.

IMO we need a cup that is quick fix only and FIRST TO FIVE, the race to 5 makes the game more interesting than the “Let’s get 2 or 3 rounds ahead and hope we can make it to 5 difference oh no they got a round lets sit and be defensive and hope we can last the next 15 minutes without losing more”.

Mike

TEZC

Quoted from Enef

In the mixes we’ve playe with it we use it to counter kritz, kritz to counter uber and uber to counter quick fix. It’s an interesting little rock paper scissors game.

IMO we need a cup that is quick fix only and FIRST TO FIVE, the race to 5 makes the game more interesting than the “Let’s get 2 or 3 rounds ahead and hope we can make it to 5 difference oh no they got a round lets sit and be defensive and hope we can last the next 15 minutes without losing more”.

yank style, i like

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from Mike

[…]

yank style, i like

Pretty much, i had this conversation with Tyrone at one point, is one of the reasons i find US tf2 more exciting to watch, they don’t sit and stalemate they race to get to 5.

Dummy

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]all i know is that if both teams use it, tf2 is actually fun again

if one team uses kritz then its just back and forward all the time

and uber is shit bcs i get two quickfixes by the time u get single uber

fun for you, its your opinion only
edit:
this, as some people say, will make soldiers pretty much useless
it won’t make the game quicker, it’ll slow it down and make it even MORE boring to watch, and definitely more boring to play for 1/3 of the team.
also, allow equaliser? why? it’s a straight upgrade, if you want an unlock that is at least a bit balanced – good in the right hands, bad in the wrong hands – allow gunboats which, if shitfix was allowed would at least speed the game up a bit. but this is still a dire idea which is only presented because someone found a new toy they really like and promote it.
besides, having 3 mediguns in a game would be a bit too much, we still aren’t near perfection in tactics with 2 of them, so if we introduced a 3rd one we would be back to ’08

Last edited by Dummy,

Mike

TEZC

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
fun for you, its your opinion only

it’s fun for me too, you’re already outnumbered

Danzeru

Royal`
MAD

Quoted from Enef

It’s the other way around generally… Kritz beats QF, Uber beats Kritz and QF can situationally beat Uber if you get it before they do… I mean if they both Uber and QF go off at the same time and it’s just combo vs combo then nobody really dies, it’s all to do with who else is present and how good the medics are at flashing.

Regarding unlocks, ETF2L needs to go vanilla + Kritz + Ubersaw and maybe (subject to thorough testing) + Quickfix else we’re going to end up with the same fiasco we had last season with teams.

And equalizer limit 1 won’t fix perma bombing soldiers on mid, nor the fact that equalizer + QF makes for a ridiculously fast, easy and broken mid run.

Nobody wants to play ESL. As I said earlier, TF2 is in a very fragile position right now and ETF2L season 10 is extremely important in keeping the game going. Else it’s rock bottom.

Last edited by Danzeru,

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

It’s very important to restrict unlocks, only let the bare minimum allowed, or it will be complicated to explain what unlocks are and aren’t allowed all the time.

Yes there’s whitelists, but from a spec points of view it’s important that they understand what is and isn’t allowed very clearly.

Not only that, there was a huge shit storm about unlocks before all of this, now a good unlock comes out everyone is talking about adding eq. and GRU? That’s incredibly hypocritical don’t you think?

Especially as I think Animal was one of those that supported Vanilla and would call anyone who disagreed with that rule set as “rofl shitters”.

Stranger

2stronk

Quoted from Mike

[…]

could work, would be interesting, just thinking sollies may have to do other stuff now, maybe paintrain for them? and animal suggested GRU for heavies, but i dunno i mean how many unlocks?

kritz ubersaw blutsaguer quickfix gru equaliser paintrain in my opinion would be nice but probably too much for most :D
maybe gunboats for solly too?

allow the new solly’s whip that makes the solly’s and the hit target faster on hit ;) taht way a heavy wouldn’t need a gru for mid fights.

Danzeru

Royal`
MAD

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

It’s very important to restrict unlocks, only let the bare minimum allowed, or it will be complicated to explain what unlocks are and aren’t allowed all the time.

Yes there’s whitelists, but from a spec points of view it’s important that they understand what is and isn’t allowed very clearly.

Not only that, there was a huge shit storm about unlocks before all of this, now a good unlock comes out everyone is talking about adding eq. and GRU? That’s incredibly hypocritical don’t you think?

Precisely. Else we spell out some seriously bad news for the scene.

Mediguns and the ubersaw are interesting as they don’t upset the power plays between the 3 offensive classes (well they do to a certain extent but not in the way the equalizer does) and present us with, as Enef mentioned, an interesting rock-paper-scissors mechanic. Of course this is only valid if the QF lives up to testing and scrutiny.

Most importantly, if it’s going to divide the community significantly, then it isn’t worth putting it in the rules.

RaCio

GoT²

Let’s have some one day cups and see what happens.

Would turbine be worth trying?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 Next »