Forum

Finding a team?

Created 25th April 2011 @ 23:52

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

MR JOHNSON

(^-^)v

Getting that first team can be hard, I got my first competitive experience from starting conversations with people I played public with and it went from there, I was also lucky that the team I joined was stable enough to last at least for a while.

When you finally have found a team, I think something that can’t be said enough is – try to find quality – not necessarily in how good the team are, but make sure they are decent and committed to whatever level you want to achieve (if having a good laugh playing with decent people is the goal then you might not need to practice a lot, but if you have the goal to climb the ladder, you’ll need to have some discipline in the playing, even if it’s all for fun). I think finding that stable team that can learn you the ropes and let you evolve with them are quite an important step, if not your first team because as you say – getting into the scene might not always be the easiest of things, but as soon as possible find a good group of people and try to stick with them (huge skill differences etc not withstanding).

Turbo

-ƒ$-BLAH
sniper

Quoted from atrox_

[…]

oh the wonderful days of JG/FOTM.

Same story as him

what about TGG >:(

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Look at the Recruitment section above and pm some of the div6 teams which sound like your cup of tea!

Back in the day i just went from publics to Div1 so that probably doesnt help :]

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

cyber.

Sketch

MM

pickups + playing with friends. made our own team.

Sketch

MM

Quoted from Tapley ❤

Look at the Recruitment section above and pm some of the div6 teams which sound like your cup of tea!

Back in the day i just went from publics to Div1 so that probably doesnt help :]

ye, is easiest way to get your name about. start playing a game comp when not many people are :D even baddies like tapley get their name out there.

Skyride

DUCS

You’ve got to be a bit more pro-active when you’re not “known”. Like as well as putting up a recruitment section entry, start PMing teams who’re looking for whatever class you want to play.

Also remember to say if you’ve played other competitive games. A few months ago there was a guy who asked me for an invite to pixel pickup and i declined him because he had no team experience. Then about 2 days later he was raping it up silly in a tf2lobby I played, spoke to him again and turned out he’d actually been pretty good at CoD4 and L4D. People will respect you more because it means that you are already a cut above most people skill wise in TF2, you just need to learn the basic strats.

Last edited by Skyride,

Enef

fest
#wubafan

forgot to mention too:

Go to lan as a relative unknown; be a lanhero with your personality; be known by everyone.

I now know a lot of people in tf2 who can not only vouch for my personality but will regularly tell everyone JUST HOW BAD I AM at tf2, mostly due to me being a pretty nice guy.

Forsak3n

S

The first time when I played pcw was May of 2010. One guy with nick ‘Oxidee’ was gathering new teams from Latvian Community, so I offered myself for any of those squads.
Just played few pcws and the teams broke.
So, the AFS season, my first season was coming, so I made my own team named “Kings Of Fortune” and took there players from those squads of Latvian Community.
The season went as a shit, my team was gathering only on offical games and we had problems with teammates, somebody left/joined… In a begining of AFS, sometimes I was mercing pcws for Oxidee.

The AFS was over and my team took 2nd place.

We became friends with Oxidee and soon I had noticed that Oxidee was looking for a soldier for his new team.

Soon they took me into team named Genocide (btw teamname could be better).
The members in it were stable for a while, so I learnt how to play comp. tf2 quickly. :)

And since that moment I still play in team named Genocide. :)

gg

Spelling

?

unfortunately i’m not too sure on how to multiquote here, but i really just want to say thanks to you all for sharing your stories and for suggesting helpful tips to me – it’s pleasantly surprising to see such a nice community.

@r7an: i actually have put in most of my tf2 hours into scout and i would love to be a back-up and hopefully play some mixes. maybe i’m just too dumb (or it doesn’t exist on this website) but i can’t seem to find a way to pm you here. would it be possible for me to add you on steam? thanks again.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

TF2 community is da best. (Full stop)

You can’t pm on this website so fanboys can’t spam the pros, but there is steam, irc etc.

TF2 Lobby will give you an idea of how it all works but expect no comms and no attempt at teamplay unless you get lucky.

I started by playing on a community server and kept asking to play in matches untill they finally said yes when half the team didn’t turn up one night. I WAS UNBELIEVEABLY BAD.

I still am.

Good luck tho, this is a great game and a great community.

Wabbeh

Quoted from Spelling

i actually have put in most of my tf2 hours into scout

Not trying to get you down or anything, but scouts have the least demand (generally) and the most triallees, as opposed to medics or demomen who in relatively high demand. Again, not trying to make you change class or anything, but just something to bear in mind.

Banana

DP

Everyone else seems to have their story with playing pub with some people and finding a team this way.
It’s not so easy for me, I knew 100% nobody when I signed up to steam a week ago (maybe 2?) Now? I know about 5… :]

And making friends on lobbies is so hard. You can be as good on lobbies as you want, but you won’t make friends on there, no matter if you try to be as friendly guy as possible. And finding a team through lobby? I guess, GL, maybe you can do that which I have failed to do.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

If you play enough lobbies you end up knowing the people on there and adding them on steam etc. For me it was meeting some people who played highlander in the challenge, then playing with them in mixes etc when they moved to 6v6 (again they got mentored by JG, what a legend). When I wanted to get a team, I had to post on here and really press to get trials and add a lot of people on steam. Now I’m in a fairly stable team and it looks to be going pretty well for div6.
Don’t be afraid to add people to friends and make yourself available for mixes, but the etf2l team system here seems to work fairly well anyway.

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

I ended up playing in monday night madness for my first team when one of their scouts didn’t show up. It was strange, I hung in mumble all the time yet refused to play any mixes or anything. Once I played in my first 6v6, there was no turning back…

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »