Forum

Option to enter Steam Community Profile rather than SteamID?

Created 6th February 2010 @ 01:25

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Wobblit

Now you have to enter your SteamID to make an active account, something I’ve seen many struggle with.

You must already do the conversion from SteamID to communityID at your backend, as you resolve the correct avatar etc.

Why not offer this conversion the other way also? Have new accounts provide a link to their community page then have your own system calculate the SteamID?

Edit: Like this http://www.noobsticks.com/home.php?pageid=lookup

Skyride

DUCS

The whole point of recording the SteamID is so that people can check if someone is actually on a teams roster. The avatar thing is just a nice little touch.

Also, if someone is too dumb to get their SteamID, then i’m sorry, but they have no place in competitive gaming.

Wobblit

Quoted from Skyride

The whole point of recording the SteamID is so that people can check if someone is actually on a teams roster. The avatar thing is just a nice little touch.

This is in no way related to what I suggested. The steamID would still be displayed for others to see, you just wont have to put it there manually. It will be automatically resolved from your community page.

Ninjaedit to reply to your ninja edit: Simplicity is always better. Doesn’t matter if it is easy to get your SteamID, it is even easier to get your community page.

compton

cvx|

nice job missing the whole point skyride

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from compton

What?

Quoted from Wobblit

Now you have to enter your SteamID to make an active account, something I’ve seen many struggle with.

Quoted from Skyride

Also, if someone is too dumb to get their SteamID, then i’m sorry, but they have no place in competitive gaming.

n00ne

^ ouch

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

I’ve passed the idea on, getting steam ids and inputting them correctly isn’t the easiest thing to work out for someone completely new to source engine games.

yellowblood

Quoted from compton

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from yellowblood

Quoted from compton

Giganticus

k^m

quick thing to point out is that certain games (for example Left 4 Dead 2) will give a different and invalid STEAMID. This means going into TF2 specifically and grabbing the STEAMID from there. Took me a while to figure that out while trying to register new players for k^m2. If the site could somehow tie profiles to STEAMIDs we wouldn’t have trouble entering in new players.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Giganticus

quick thing to point out is that certain games (for example Left 4 Dead 2) will give a different and invalid STEAMID. This means going into TF2 specifically and grabbing the STEAMID from there. Took me a while to figure that out while trying to register new players for k^m2. If the site could somehow tie profiles to STEAMIDs we wouldn’t have trouble entering in new players.

AFAIK one can’t be tied to the other without there being some sort of database to look at, because there is no real way to determine it without using status, or looking at some plugin that lists it (like HLSX).

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

Quoted from octochris

[…]

AFAIK one can’t be tied to the other without there being some sort of database to look at, because there is no real way to determine it without using status, or looking at some plugin that lists it (like HLSX).

There is a direct relation between Steam ID and community profile ID. We use that to link to your community profile. The formula consists of a simple addition and multiplication, and can be easily reversed.

Let’s say your steam ID is 0:1:123456, the three parts are a, b and c. You’ll get:

a = 0
b = 1
c = 123456
community ID = c * 2 + 76561197960265728 + b

The other way around:

temp = (community ID - 76561197960265728)
if temp is even:
SteamID = 0:0:(temp / 2)
if uneven:
SteamID = 0:1:((temp - 1) / 2)

Oh and if i recall correctly, the difference between L4D and TF2 steamID is just the first number being 1 in L4D and 0 in TF2.

octochris

(0v0)

Wow, I didn’t know about that.

In which case this should be easy to implement.

Wobblit

Quoted from octochris

Wow, I didn’t know about that.

In which case this should be easy to implement.

Yeah, that is why I suggested it. They must already be doing the conversion from SteamID to CommunityID, so can’t be too complicated to make a change so the system can also convert the other way.

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Hmm, is there a way to get your community URL with numbers if you’ve set a custom URL though, because if not this would be useless for such people

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »