Forum

Highlander Season 12 Preseason Cup: Feedback

Created 13th March 2017 @ 00:15

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »

MoistPenguin

TC

Quoted from EmilioEstevez

but in general I’d rather see the whitelist opening up than arbitrarily keeping things banned.

This is stated a lot, and there are people who want the annoying and unfun weapons banned as they see the reasons for opening up the whitelist as appealing to valve which is pointless for HL. What are your reasons for wanting an open whitelist?

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from MoistPenguin

[…]

This is stated a lot, and there are people who want the annoying and unfun weapons banned as they see the reasons for opening up the whitelist as appealing to valve which is pointless for HL. What are your reasons for wanting an open whitelist?

Unless ETF2L wants to define a very strict set of rules on why an item is worth banning then it’s just all subjective opinion and I’d rather deal with a few weapons I think are poorly balanced than have things like DR/SC/etc banned just because some other people dont like those. IMO either we just accept everyones opinions are valid and we try to unban as much as possible, leaving everyone in the same position or we accept that some peoples opinions are more valid than others and we just go with what the best players decide since they know best?

Also it gets us closer to how the game is played in pubs, one of the big criticisms of comp in the past has always been “they just ban weapons they dont like”.

adje

Haven’t seen Air Strike or Short Circuit being used at all while playing vs Feila and Latency Issues so not sure what to think of them. Air Strike sounds broken on paper and harder to deal with as a pyro, I think Short Circuit is fine albeit a bit annoying.

I was really excited about experimenting with the Diamondback but it felt like I was gimping myself while using it in 90% of situations. The only situation where I felt it was superior to both the Ambassador and Revolver is when you want to kill a buffed sniper wearing the Razorback with two crits since the firing rate of the Diamondback is higher and the shots are easier to line up. So I guess it’s basically the Ambassador but you don’t have 102 on demand although you have a higher rate of fire meaning Snipers have less time to react when you have first-shot advantage.

It also meant I had to run default sapper to make it worthwhile otherwise it would take me forever to get the crits (not saying RTR is bad, far from it it’s ridiculously good but they don’t really synergize too well). Sure, you can stab one person and then crit them in the face but you can essentially do the same with the Ambassador without needing to backstab anyone. I can see it being more potent in lower divs where stabbing two or three people consecutively is not a rare occurence. When people turn around after one stab, it’s more of a sidegrade. On Coalplant I ran Ambassador exclusively since due to its open nature it’s too good to pass up.

Red Tape Recorder is very good at making Engineers cry themselves to sleep, takes like 10-15 seconds before you can rebuild a mini sentry which is ridiculous. It’s not that good for sapping dispensers though, although I guess you can just shoot those instead.

I love Coalplant and I would prefer it over Ashville, I really like what they did with the lobby area. Badwater is fine I suppose, Pro gimps third holds more than it should but I like some of the changes implemented.

Just1s

☁GGG☁

[…]
IMO either we just accept everyones opinions are valid and we try to unban as much as possible, leaving everyone in the same position or we accept that some peoples opinions are more valid than others and we just go with what the best players decide since they know best?

Why would accepting everyones opinions would mean that we unban as much as possible. Maybe quite contrarily majority of opinions would be to ban/keep banned some of the unlocks, so we would need a vote for that.
But then again if the vote results wouldn’t be in favour of “the best” players the common agrument of players who voted aren’t experienced enough might come up.
Personally I’m for accepting everyones opinions with a some sort of vote or something similar.

STiNGHAN

inVincible

About DR:
Spy is hard to chase because for 6 or more seconds you can’t do anything, also he has a whip boost. Yeah, I can use milk or jarate, where is the problem? After the MM update when spy got medic’s speed, you still can’t agree with other players, it makes me sad. S-O keep saying their shit while they have godlike scout, the best pyro since s5, the best demo and the best spy in game. Guess what, we don’t have same players. Besides that we all know how this will end, S-O will be shittalking every player like they did before s11. In a meeting I didn’t hear Steve who was against the DR ban. I have to mention his words in a previous topic ” For the record my view is +Razorback ban, -DR ban, and maybe think about the spycicle a bit if the DR stays. The Spycicle has a lot going for it in both loadouts although it’s a little underused. I think it can be really effective if used well. ” Even with stock knife DR is easy to use.

“Which is an argument for listening to what he has to say since he is obviously doing something right.” Ok, try to don’t play with top prem players against godlike DR spy.

Last edited by STiNGHAN,

Reasons to ban short circuit:
It’s incredibly unfun to play against.
It’s very easy to use.
It creates a very easy to use counter against teams with better demomen.
In a game mode with perma pyros, heavies, and sentries adding the short circuit will make bombing meds and snipers even more difficult, making snipers more difficult to kill is bad considering how strong they are.
Deleting spam on the flank will slow down the flank battle and hence flank battles will become even more stale, slow, and dominated by just having a spy or sniper rotate onto the flank.
It creates a very boring playstyle of engie on offense where your sole duty is to have mouse2 bound and sit on the cart.
Its very easy to track invisible spies with the shortcircuit.

positives:
Mini-sentry engie on defense is more viable.
Less wrangler usage.
maybe there is some engie who only uses the shortcircuit and doesn’t want to get into competitive because it is banned.

Honestly some of these points are clearly opinion based and some cover a lot of grey areas but even if you sided all the grey areas as positive to me the overall changes are inherently negative for the pace of the game and the amount for fun to be had by each player. And I wouldn’t even stop there I honestly think there are a bunch of weapons that if banned would just make highlander more fun for everyone see: atomiser, DR, and razorback. Maybe they are op maybe not but the game is significantly more fun with them banned and gains very little from allowing them.

Nightmare

wL.

Quoted from STiNGHAN

About DR:
Spy is hard to chase because for 6 or more seconds you can’t do anything, also he has a whip boost. Yeah, I can use milk or jarate, where is the problem? After the MM update when spy got medic’s speed, you still can’t agree with other players, it makes me sad. S-O keep saying their shit while they have godlike scout, the best pyro since s5, the best demo and the best spy in game. Guess what, we don’t have same players. Besides that we all know how this will end, S-O will be shittalking every player like they did before s11. In a meeting I didn’t hear Steve who was against the DR ban. I have to mention his words in a previous topic ” For the record my view is +Razorback ban, -DR ban, and maybe think about the spycicle a bit if the DR stays. The Spycicle has a lot going for it in both loadouts although it’s a little underused. I think it can be really effective if used well. ” Even with stock knife DR is easy to use.

“Which is an argument for listening to what he has to say since he is obviously doing something right.” Ok, try to don’t play with top prem players against godlike DR spy.

Yeah and this exactly why toast is the only one who really aces the DR, the amazing flank and coordination from SO allows toast to use this style effectively where other spies find themselves being alone most of the time. Not to mention, toast is basically the one who perfected this playstyle, it’s only natural he’s the best at it currently. I myself and other spies like ze man and woolen get countered really hard by milk scouts, even the scout in your own team, Credu, is so desperate to kill me he even waits for me on upward last, right next to the dispenser so I can’t do anything. Even the scout from feila, bloodis, counters me very hard with milk. I honestly think that the invis watch or cnd is a much better option to get useful picks, but if the enemy team allows for a spy to aggresively use the gun, I see no reason not to use the DR.

I also keep hearing this argument that the DR is easy to use, I highly disagree with that. It’s the gunspies among us where the DR is really useful, for normal knifespies the DR doesn’t reward as much as the IW or CnD does. Especially in higher divisions where the flank plays a huge role, where most people paranoidly check for the spy and where most scouts use milk, the DR is really hard to use without good aim.

Last edited by Nightmare,

STiNGHAN

inVincible

[…]

Unless ETF2L wants to define a very strict set of rules on why an item is worth banning then it’s just all subjective opinion and I’d rather deal with a few weapons I think are poorly balanced than have things like DR/SC/etc banned just because some other people dont like those. IMO either we just accept everyones opinions are valid and we try to unban as much as possible, leaving everyone in the same position or we accept that some peoples opinions are more valid than others and we just go with what the best players decide since they know best?

Also it gets us closer to how the game is played in pubs, one of the big criticisms of comp in the past has always been “they just ban weapons they dont like”.

Quoted from Nightmare

[…]

Yeah and this exactly why toast is the only one who really aces the DR, the amazing flank and coordination from SO allows toast to use this style effectively where other spies find themselves being alone most of the time. Not to mention, toast is basically the one who perfected this playstyle, it’s only natural he’s the best at it currently. I myself and other spies like ze man and woolen get countered really hard by milk scouts, even the scout in your own team, Credu, is so desperate to kill me he even waits for me on upward last, right next to the dispenser so I can’t do anything. Even the scout from feila, bloodis, counters me very hard with milk. I honestly think that the invis watch or cnd is a much better option to get useful picks, but if the enemy team allows for a spy to aggresively use the gun, I see no reason not to use the DR.

I also keep hearing this argument that the DR is easy to use, I highly disagree with that. It’s the gunspies among us where the DR is really useful, for normal knifespies the DR doesn’t reward as much as the IW or CnD does. Especially in higher divisions where the flank plays a huge role, where most people paranoidly check for the spy and where most scouts use milk, the DR is really hard to use without good aim.

Yeah, stop doing that, good idea, I’m gonna get headshot and I’ll push point with 23 hp, good idea. I know he’s really good and I can’t just ignore him. Funny coz he is top scoring most of the time in your games. So if I’m going to chase Toast, your flank and demo can push easily. I think it’s not working for Emilio since he’s carrying you for 3 seasons straight. What about your previous cup? Check logs from your seasons and from the cup with the banned razorback and DR. I can notice a difference. You played against me yesterday Emilio, I couldn’t push 3rd and you couldn’t as well, but it’s easy, your op team can do that without a problem so yeah, keep playing it.

Steve!

S-O

God can you stop the rants this isn’t useful to etf2l admins at all. Can we have a thread wipe or something? This thread is about the cup, if you wanna discuss DR or banning methodology make a separate thread. Stick to what’s in the cup and not what you just felt like chatting about.

If you want I can make a video or a written guide about how simple it is to counter DR on most of the popular maps and a separate one about counterplay to red tape recorder, air strike and Diamondback as a pyro. But please stop with this “we don’t know shit cause we play too high div”, were playing AGAINST the best players as well. It’s just that where you might choose to whine on the forums, we spend time improving and thinking about how to deal with stuff.

Quoted from Aoshi

Weapon unlocks, map pool, competition format, …
Complain about them as much as you like.

Quoted from Steve!

Are DR and Razorback staying unbanned?

Quoted from Steve!

if you wanna discuss DR or banning methodology make a separate thread

This is as good a place as any for discussing anything whitelist related since it’s often hard to talk about just one unlock on its own since all the weapons have different combinations, effects, and synergies.

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from STiNGHAN

[…]

[…]

Yeah, stop doing that, good idea, I’m gonna get headshot and I’ll push point with 23 hp, good idea. I know he’s really good and I can’t just ignore him. Funny coz he is top scoring most of the time in your games. So if I’m going to chase Toast, your flank and demo can push easily. I think it’s not working for Emilio since he’s carrying you for 3 seasons straight. What about your previous cup? Check logs from your seasons and from the cup with the banned razorback and DR. I can notice a difference. You played against me yesterday Emilio, I couldn’t push 3rd and you couldn’t as well, but it’s easy, your op team can do that without a problem so yeah, keep playing it.

So your problem is that Toast is too good and not that DR is overpowered then? If he’s the only one who’s giving you problems doesn’t that point to him just being really good and not a reason for an item ban (especially since I dont think you’ve ever played against him on DR/Spycicle as he spends every UGC game playing with dumb loadouts).

Also we won the no deadringer cup and when I merced for Toucans yesterday we did push third. As did your team in the 2nd round. You just failed to do it in the first round.

I get that you and I disagree on the DR ban. Personally I’m OK with just a blanket unban on all non-bugged weapons, but how do you propose we decide who’s opinion to go with? Why is your opinion more valid than say Steves considering he’s the won more HL tournaments than anyone else. If we’re not just going to have a blanket unban shouldn’t we go with the person who’s been proven to know the most about the game when deciding what we should ban?

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

but how do you propose we decide who’s opinion to go with?

You don’t just get one person’s opinion, you get the opinions of multiple people from different teams and see if there is any general consensus and go from there.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Included_Middle

HL would be more fun if we just banned all of the stupid weapons like the short circuit, atomizer etc. HL gains basically nothing from opening up the whitelist to allow all of these unfun unlocks and the game mode would be improved if we banned them, this was shown with how much more fun the cup which banned the DR and razor back was.

Problem with basing a whitelist on the concept of “Fun” is it’s opinion driven and enjoyment of the game is so varied and dependent on factors such as:

– Skill Level
– Main Class
– Your personal perception on how the game should be played (Ie – You like to Pocket Heavies and put Demos in support, or you prefer to Pocket Demos and have Heavies in support…etc etc, neither is right or wrong but how you enjoy TF2 will inevitably be affected by your chosen style).

So you can understand from a practical perspective why stating “I think this unlocks are not fun so ban them” isn’t good feedback.

Provide more detail please.

STiNGHAN

inVincible

[…]

So your problem is that Toast is too good and not that DR is overpowered then? If he’s the only one who’s giving you problems doesn’t that point to him just being really good and not a reason for an item ban (especially since I dont think you’ve ever played against him on DR/Spycicle as he spends every UGC game playing with dumb loadouts).

Also we won the no deadringer cup and when I merced for Toucans yesterday we did push third. As did your team in the 2nd round. You just failed to do it in the first round.

I get that you and I disagree on the DR ban. Personally I’m OK with just a blanket unban on all non-bugged weapons, but how do you propose we decide who’s opinion to go with? Why is your opinion more valid than say Steves considering he’s the won more HL tournaments than anyone else. If we’re not just going to have a blanket unban shouldn’t we go with the person who’s been proven to know the most about the game when deciding what we should ban?

I’m talking about toast coz he’s a great example? Want more? Nightmare, ze man, woolen. Yeah I agree, you won that cup, but you had problems with every team. Steve won more and I said that already, but it’s unfair that admins listen to only your team. I played against him when he was using this shit loadout. I watch prem povs often and I know what’s going on. I know, it’s not perfect decision to ban the DR, but since Valve buffed spy so much, the problem is huge. I respect your opinion, I just want to share my opinion with community, but I can’t coz ” you won more and your opinion is better than others”

STiNGHAN

inVincible

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

Problem with basing a whitelist on the concept of “Fun” is it’s opinion driven and enjoyment of the game is so varied and dependent on factors such as:

– Skill Level
– Main Class
– Your personal perception on how the game should be played (Ie – You like to Pocket Heavies and put Demos in support, or you prefer to Pocket Demos and have Heavies in support…etc etc, neither is right or wrong but how you enjoy TF2 will inevitably be affected by your chosen style).

So you can understand from a practical perspective why stating “I think this unlocks are not fun so ban them” isn’t good feedback.

Provide more detail please.

Check my previous post about spy’s speed

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »