Forum

Playoff structure (9v9 stuff, dont bother reading if you hate lolhl xD)

Created 22nd May 2016 @ 04:16

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Hello fellow etf2l players and (hopefully) admins. Today, for the first time in a long time, I bring you something to (hopefully) think about when you (hopefully) think about improving the league for future seasons :)

What I propose is a change in the Playoff system the league uses specifically for Highlander, where in the current system, the 3rd and 4th teams face each other, after which the winner of that faces the 2nd etc.

Now the issue I personally noticed while playing on this level for some time is that due to highlander teams never keeping their rosters intact after a season (due to hmm, i guess no competitions ever might be a thing affecting that xD hehe), the teams tend to stop playing after they get eliminated from the competition. It really doesnt help that there is such a huge skill difference between the playoff teams and 7th place teams that still have something to play for most of the time.

What this basically means is that, let’s imagine you are Fair Enough this season. For the 3 weeks of playoffs that you have to practice for your only official for, you have, at this point, 0 active teams to practice against that aren’t new projects or roster shuffles or mixes/high teams. You can’t even practice against the only other active team, Strong Opinions, since its a trend in TF2 to not practice against the opponent you are facing next week.

From personal experience as a player and as a spectator, I have felt the impact of this, simply put, it feels really ass to not have teams to play against in the playoff time! For the 3rd/4th game it’s still somewhat okay, you potentially have the 2nd/1st seed to play against in practice and warmup, but for the semi- and grand finals, once (or both) teams have to warmup (and practice) against honestly terrible teams, which (personally in my opinion etc) has a considerable effect on the readiness of the teams, which makes the quality of games lower than in the main season

Now for the main idea I’d like to see implemented: Having a 2-week regular playoff system in the shape of 1st seed vs 4th seed, 2nd seed vs 3rd seed. From that, you have the winners final for the winners to determine the champion, and the losers finals to determine who gets 3rd place in the season.

The good points of what I propose is first off, it makes the season 1 week shorter which seems to be something ETF2L always strives for, and it also keeps the top4 teams active for the same amount of time so that they can practice against each other in quality scrims, keeping them ready for the finals. I won’t list any bad points because that would be detrimental towards my cause lol haha, feel free to shittalk my idea with no structure behind your arguments though, it’s always great and enjoyable to read those posts.

Thank you for reading, sorry for not shitposting to all my fans :* especially you bulow also sorry for any typos or badly structured paragraphs, its 5 am and i am too lazy to proofread

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

also as a side note, i find it really strange that you reward teams with not having to play the game for 2 weeks until the grand finals if htey reach 1st seed

scrambled

(ETF2L Donator)

Would it be worth considering having the entire prem playoffs occur in the space of one week?

Cauthon

(ETF2L Donator)
prly

Quoted from Muuki

The good points of what I propose is first off, it makes the season 1 week shorter which seems to be something ETF2L always strives

I think you’re forgotting lower tiers, otherwise a good read.

Same problem of not getting pcw’s occurs in other tiers too. UGC makes it a bit easier

also LOL HL

Bulow

GG

It’s ok Muuki, you tried your best. Playoffs are currently too long, they should be 2 weeks max i.e. 4 team 1st vs 4th, 2nd vs 3rd/3teams with 2nd vs 3red, winner plays 1st. Fix this kkaltuu, right now. It’s literally been about 2 and a half years of these criticisms.

Bloodis

(Legend)
(๑╹ω╹๑ )

Very likely double elimination will be added to Highlander as well if it ends up to work well in 6v6 with a shorter period of time to play the playoffs, since finally now that we got someone else than kkaltuu to decide for the season that we didn’t want to change the playoff style anymore for this season that we had promised to give to you after announcing it.

also lol hl

Bulow

GG

#thanksbloodis
#fuckkaltuu

MoistPenguin

TC

I would also like to add we will probably poll prem players again this season and the feedback we get from that will be a large factor in determining if/any changes happen to both the league and playoffs specifically.

HartzFartz

(ETF2L Donator)
0fo
0FO

well maybe you should get your playoff practice before the playoffs begin, crazy idea.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

There have been many many suggestions made about league structure all ignored by admins, so some trash talk would have helped the cause Muuq. Disappointed.

Also map picks for playoffs should change as well, giving teams the ability to eliminate 2 maps is a big advantage, even for a lower seed – the higher seed may be able to pick the decider but if the lower seed eliminates one gamemode they are bad at such as KOTH/5CP which only has 2 maps, it’s going to be PL/Koth fest.

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Quoted from HartzFartz

well maybe you should get your playoff practice before the playoffs begin, crazy idea.

maybe get to playoffs once before talking shit you cuntmonger

edit: sorry, forgot to add the word “retarded” in there

Last edited by Muuki,

Aoshi

(Legend)
:think:
GRAHAM

Quoted from Hildreth

There have been many many suggestions made about league structure all ignored by admins.

This playoff structure is solely based off of feedback from last season.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Hildreth

There have been many many suggestions made about league structure all ignored by admins, so some trash talk would have helped the cause Muuq. Disappointed.

Is that under an assumption that any suggestion not acted upon is ignored? Because you seem to mention that a lot (and a lot of other people too).

Last edited by Permzilla,

scrambled

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

Is that under an assumption that any suggestion not acted upon is ignored? Because you seem to mention that a lot (and a lot of other people too).

Its not the most unreasonable assumption to make to be fair, tf2center actually did something right with their feedback forum section so that prople can see why certain ideas arent used.

Chronos

BMS

I agree with Muuki, that way of doing the playoffs would be vastly preferable

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »