Forum

HL S10 Map Test Cup: Maps

Created 18th February 2016 @ 22:08

Locked Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »

Steve!

S-O

Please use this topic to discuss the maps being played in the S10 Preseason Map Test Cup:

cp_alloy_rc1a
pl_borneo
koth_ashville

Thanks!

Doom

I love borneo, but I personally feel like alloy is way too flat. And it has the gravelpit system, which makes it even worse straight away.

4hp

I love the idea of introducing more A/D maps, haven’t looked at alloy but genuinely hope it’s a good one.

How about cp_sulfur? It still needs some changes but the idea of mixing cp_steel style with koth seemed fun… it’s just that people on the lobby I played had no idea about the koth part lol

Ah I love borneo and ashville and imo one of them should already have replaced barnblitz.

Last edited by 4hp,

EmilioEstevez

GG

Borneo is way too fucking big, it tries to be all things to everybody and just ends up being a mess.
Also why Ashville over coalplant? Coalplant is basically the same map but better.

JoeN

:3
:Blinky:

CTF_CONVERGE_B3

CTF_Haunt

pl_waste :)

pl_Cashworks

ctf_turbine

cp_follower

Steve!

S-O

Quoted from EmilioEstevez

Borneo is way too fucking big, it tries to be all things to everybody and just ends up being a mess.
Also why Ashville over coalplant? Coalplant is basically the same map but better.

Could you elaborate please? It was a bit of an arbritrary choice to me ’cause it feels like they’re basically the same map, so I don’t mind playing coalplant instead if people feel strongly about this.

Quoted from 4hp

I love the idea of introducing more A/D maps, haven’t looked at alloy but genuinely hope it’s a good one.

How about cp_sulfur? It still needs some changes but the idea of mixing cp_steel style with koth seemed fun… it’s just that people on the lobby I played had no idea about the koth part lol

Ah I love borneo and ashville and imo one of them should already have replaced barnblitz.

sulfur seems really confusing, so I’m reluctant to introduce it, even if it’s just for a cup. Also not sure how to config it, because it has a koth element and an A/D element.

Quoted from JoeN

CTF_CONVERGE_B3

CTF_Haunt

pl_waste :)

pl_Cashworks

ctf_turbine

cp_follower

There’s always opportunities for more cups in the future, for now let’s focus on the maps being played please.

Last edited by Steve!,

Crayon

McV

think ashville should definitely be in. tried and tested in ugc and people seem to like it.

Did you check out cp_hadal and cp_reactor from the dyncp contest as well? From pub play they seem like they could be interesting in HL.

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from Steve!

[…]
Could you elaborate please? It was a bit of an arbritrary choice to me ’cause it feels like they’re basically the same map, so I don’t mind playing coalplant instead if people feel strongly about this.

They have basically the exact same layout except they’ve tried to address all the problems with ashville. Pushing across the point with uber is no longer completely terrible like it is in ashville, there’s actually more than one spot you can hold from (holding bottom/back left on ashville is completely dumb, but is viable on coalplant) and forward holds are much more fluid as the forward right/left lobby areas are linked and are more than just a huge long corridor with a tight choke. The only negative thing about it is maybe underneath is a little too tight, everything else feels a straight upgrade from what I’ve played of it.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Coalplant instead of ashville please

MoistPenguin

TC

Quoted from Hoplitejoe

Did you check out cp_hadal and cp_reactor from the dyncp contest as well? From pub play they seem like they could be interesting in HL.

We are aware of that contest and those maps will be considered for future cups but for now keep the focus on the two maps we are concentrating on for this cup.

Munky

AEUGH

Coalplant is a worse highlander map than Ashville. Mainly the changes to the area between spawn and mid make forward holds way more powerful and in almost all ways the changes to the map have been focused on 6’s. See one good team take advantage of that forward hold and you understand why UGC dropped the map in favour of Ashville.

It is really weird how differently Ashville is viewed in NA/EU. I have played a decent amount of highlander with friends over there and it is seen as a staple while it is generally sniffed at here. For example in the UGC polls Ashville was rated 4th best map in NA plat (7.7 score) while in EU plat it was 10th (6.2 score). Also for comparison Coalplant was rated 10th (6.0 score) in NA and rated 14th (5.7 score) in EU. (I know the comparison between EU and NA plat isn’t great but the best stats we have on opinions)

Last edited by Munky,

quintosh

wL.

:D

Munky

AEUGH

I think the map choices are really good for a cup. Two maps that are viable which could easily be swapped into a season and another a little more experimental. I can’t really see Alloy going anywhere but don’t begrudge it having a chance.

I think Croissant is a really good 5cp map for highlander which should be in a future cup but only if you were looking at adding a third 5cp map in the season as Gully/Process are stronger maps overall.

Also I’m glad Lakeside, Swiftwater and Sunshine aren’t being looked at.

n!k

Quoted from Munky

Also I’m glad […] Swiftwater [isn’t] being looked at.

i would love to see swiftwater in the map pool next season (the ugc version).

Locked Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »