Forum

Highlander Season 8 Maplist Discussion

Created 28th February 2015 @ 05:26

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

I’ll take a step back from debating +/- of certain maps and focus on creating a map pool that will lead to a fun and successful season.

Season 7:

Week 1: pl_upward
Week 2: koth_pro_viaduct_rc4+ cp_process_final
Week 3: pl_barnblitz_pro4
Week 4: cp_gravelpit
Week 5: pl_badwater
Week 6: koth_reservoir_b4 + cp_gullywash_final1
Week 7: cp_steel

IMHO it was great to phase lakeside out. I don’t think reservoir was the best replacement but the S6 map pool was stale. I think most can agree reservoir b4 needs replacing. So we have a free koth map already to toy with.

coalplant/ashville honestly seems like the best choice. As previously stated, these maps have been played a number of times in UGC/WP but also fun to scrim or PUG if you’re looking to play a koth map. So the map pool could now look like:

Week 2: koth_pro_viaduct_rc4+ cp_process_final
Week 3: pl_barnblitz_pro4
Week 6: ashville/coal + cp_gullywash_final1

We’ve already made an improvement in the season, which is good enough, so anything else is a bonus or risky.

Back into debating individual maps, I think for highlander gravelpit and steel need to stay. They’re all about clean comms, good responses and teamwork and that’s what highlander is all about.

I’m not keen on barnblitz but I know a pro5 is being worked on. I saw it a while ago but didn’t play it, it’s heading in the right direction to look like a nice map for S8. But if the prospect is to play pro4 for another season, I’d like to see it gone. But if we get pro5:

Week 2: koth_viaduct_pro5 + cp_process_final
Week 3: pl_barnblitz_pro5
Week 6: ashville/coal + cp_gullywash_final1

This looks nice, a bit fresh, but stale in some places. I updated the viaduct version but to be honest the viaduct and process week is a getting old. I think process OR gully should be replaced with another 5cp map. I didn’t see the cup last night so I don’t really know what one of them should be replaced with, but I think replacing one of them would be great.

Though, if gully will be replaced, the new map should switch weeks with process as to avoid having two new maps played in one week, to give teams a chance to learn maps and develop strategies on the new maps.

Something which may seem controversial, pl_badwater is kind of boring. It’s been done to death. Then again so has badlands and it’s still going in 6s. Would be nice to see badwater removed and replaced if barnblitz stays.

edit: actually going to make a new post with info about which 5cp map should be played in s8, based on looking at easly HL seasons…

Last edited by b33p,

Munky

AEUGH

Quoted from b33p

Something which may seem controversial, pl_badwater is kind of boring. It’s been done to death. Then again so has badlands and it’s still going in 6s. Would be nice to see badwater removed and replaced if barnblitz stays.

I kind of agree about Badwater feeling a bit stale. Though for me it is more about how the whole map seems to play around the third point. Sucks the enjoyment out of it for me. though I wouldn’t want the map replaced.

4hp

To be honest I wouldn’t mind seeing gravelpit being replaced by something like keikoku IF keikoku is being seriously developed. Gpit is a fun map but there are some glaring flaws with it, such as being a 3CP map where one of the points is basically free cap for blu. But I do think there should be 2 A/D maps in the season and steel is one of the best maps in the game.

As far as ashville or coalplant I think that ashville is better for HL and coalplant for sixes but I wouldn’t mind either map. IDK what you’re on about with the colour scheme, I’d much rather play on a colourful map than a depressing 50 shades of grey one.

Agreed that badwater is getting really boring but I don’t think you should remove it. There aren’t really any better alternatives, are there? Maybe some brave mapper out there wants to edit 3rd a little bit. Personally I think being able to jump from boiler to window room as a 100% speed class should do it, so the dreaded sentry spot can be more easily flanked.

Also since process isn’t exactly a well-liked map among the community and sunshine enjoyed relative success in the one night cup, why not swap sunshine in? I personally think it’s more well-balanced for highlander with a bit less sniper dominance and a last which seems easier to push and push out of.

My opinion for maplist based on b33p’s list

upward
viaduct + sunshine
swiftwater (still a really solid PL map that beats barnblitz by far)
GPit/Keikoku
badwater
gullywash + ashville
steel

P.S. I don’t mind warmtic either, if people are getting bored of viaduct or ashville is not deemed good enough then give it a shot.

Last edited by 4hp,

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Week 2: KOTH_WARMTIC_B4 + cp_process_final

Week 3: pl_barnblitz_pro4 (or pro 5/6 if it is ready when the season starts) / pl_badwater

Week 4: koth_lakeside_final/koth_ashville/coalplant + cp_croissant_final/cp_sunshine_rc5

Week 5: cp_gravelpit

Week 6: koth_pro_viaduct_rc4 + cp_gullywash_final1/cp_sunshine_rc5

Last edited by Toba,

Toast

WEED
S-O

Just don’t add keikoku, unless it gets worked on.. BADLY. The map is just broken and amby/sniper just has a million sightlines from a million different angles. Last is also stupidly hard to push.. Would also like to see reservoir gone, as its broken aswell.

As for maps being added, I like both the other maps from the cup, and would be happy to see them added potentially. I would also like to see lakeside added back in. If we are keeping barnblitz then it should be tweaked slightly. im cool the remaining maps.

foungi

0fo
0FO

i like keikoku, but it definitely needs quite a bit of work. warmtic to me seems like koth_granary_mid which is not too enjoyable imo.
plez get in sunshine instead of process tho, it plays way quicker and is better for hl. also lakeside/smokeyridge instead of reservoir.

STiNGHAN

inVincible

ban sunshine

DyaWyb

(ETF2L Donator)
Let it rip

I dont know if it’s possible but since some maps are receiving much debate such as reservoir away, should gpit stay and process to be switched to sunshine. Could admins/etf2l do a map poll which UGC did before their season. Ofc there is a risk of trolling but it should give an direction for admins which maps people want and which they dont. This forum is a really great way to discuss these but I think we are still missing the opinion of hundred of players. It would be then community chosen.

like example if reservoir gets 99% of NO votes it’s clearly not wanted.
Or If process to sunshine vote gets 50/50 of the votes then the decision could be by listening this forum, prem/high team leaders and ofc admins decision in the end.

I have no idea how much work it is to do a poll system since I dont have the skills for it but if its even somehow easy or possible to do it would be the best option to choose S8 maps !

Also on the poll you could also vote about the whitelist which also got lots of comments ( Also done in UGC ) .

Replace process with sunshine. That’s all I care about.

Tseini

Damn!
0FO

Quoted from DyaWyb

I dont know if it’s possible but since some maps are receiving much debate such as reservoir away, should gpit stay and process to be switched to sunshine. Could admins/etf2l do a map poll which UGC did before their season. Ofc there is a risk of trolling but it should give an direction for admins which maps people want and which they dont. This forum is a really great way to discuss these but I think we are still missing the opinion of hundred of players. It would be then community chosen.

like example if reservoir gets 99% of NO votes it’s clearly not wanted.
Or If process to sunshine vote gets 50/50 of the votes then the decision could be by listening this forum, prem/high team leaders and ofc admins decision in the end.

I have no idea how much work it is to do a poll system since I dont have the skills for it but if its even somehow easy or possible to do it would be the best option to choose S8 maps !

Also on the poll you could also vote about the whitelist which also got lots of comments ( Also done in UGC ) .

Reservoir for S8: http://strawpoll.me/3767391

Switch process to sunshine for S8? : http://strawpoll.me/3767410

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Quoted from 4hp

My opinion for maplist based on b33p’s list

upward
viaduct + sunshine
swiftwater (still a really solid PL map that beats barnblitz by far)
GPit/Keikoku
badwater
gullywash + ashville
steel

Who is going to edit the big UGC logo out of the comp swiftwater? :D I would imagine if ETF2L were to play swiftwater it would be edited, and an editor would get ideas beyond replacing that logo, and it would never be ready by S8. It’s a good map, but it’s so long. Imagine a BO3 on swiftwater. You’d be there ’til midnight.

Quoted from Toba

Week 2: KOTH_WARMTIC_B4 + cp_process_final

Week 3: pl_barnblitz_pro4 (or pro 5/6 if it is ready when the season starts) / pl_badwater

Week 4: koth_lakeside_final/koth_ashville/coalplant + cp_croissant_final/cp_sunshine_rc5

Week 5: cp_gravelpit

Week 6: koth_pro_viaduct_rc4 + cp_gullywash_final1/cp_sunshine_rc5

croissant/sunshine, yeah. nice choices. gonna edit them into my post.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

I had a look at the previous, much earlier highlander seasons and found that we’ve been playing Gullywash since Season 4 (http://etf2l.org/leagues/recent-seasons/highlander-season-4-home/), and Process was introduced in Season 5 (http://etf2l.org/leagues/recent-seasons/highlander-season-5-home/). In keeping with the spirit of phasing out old for new, I believe Gullywash should be the map replaced and give Process another season.

It came down to ‘which is older’ for me because they’re equally good/bad in highlander IMHO.

To avoid 2 new maps in one week, the old process and gully positions were swapped, to give a S8 map pool as follows:

Week 2: koth_viaduct_pro5 + [cp_croissant_final or cp_sunshine_rc5]
Week 3: pl_barnblitz_pro5
Week 6: koth_ashville_rc1 + cp_process_final

That’s a good looking map pool.

Tseini

Damn!
0FO

Imo it would be great if there were like 2 sections for map picking: Old(those classical maps) and New maps. When deciding next season maps you could rotate the Old maps and use new tested maps.

You would have whole different map pool every season with new blood,yet still having some of the good olds maps every season. Just different old maps

Then again im bad with any ideas so i just go to sleep (ー。ー) zzz

Selek

Dr. med.

That is one attractive map pool, b33p. I could get behind that.

Crumbles

Could koth_smokeyridge be added to the pool? It’s playable, with very little amount of bugs. Maybe it could replace gravelpit or ashville.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »