Forum

Highlander Season 8 Maplist Discussion

Created 28th February 2015 @ 05:26

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

Munky

AEUGH

I thought it might be wise to have a thread for people to talk about the maplist after last season where people felt let down by certain map choices and the way things were handled. Hopefully it will allow admins to see peoples thoughts and allow a maplist closer to players desires. Below would be my two recommendations.

1. Add Ashville

Ashville is comfortably the second best Koth map. It has now been played in 6 seasons of UGC (S5,S6,S8,S11,S13,S15) as well as multiple season of Wireplay. It is an established map which has proven itself to be both balanced and enjoyable. After the disaster of last seasons map could we finally give this map its deserved run in ETF2L.

Maplist 1: Last season with Ashville (pl_upward, koth_pro_viaduct_rc4 + cp_process_final, pl_badwater, cp_gravelpit, pl_barnblitz_pro4, koth_asvhille_rc1 + cp_gullywash_final1, cp_steel)

2. Drop Gravelpit

For years ETF2L has had a very tilted balance of points for gamemodes. If you compare ETF2L S7 to UGC S15 or UGC S15+ Playoffs you see a huge difference between the importance of the gamemodes. A difference that honestly doesn’t make sense. Capture point maps are very rarely played in lobbies, mixes or scrims (unless an official on the map is near) and, at least to me, aren’t an important enough part of highlander to justify 12 points and 2 whole games.

Dropping Gravelpit (which is the weaker of the two CP maps) and replacing it with another week of Koth/5CP would balance the gamemode disparity and freshen things up. This could be done in two different ways.

Maplist 2: Sticking with 2 koth/5cp maps (pl_upward, koth_pro_viaduct_rc4 + cp_process_final, pl_badwater, koth_pro_viaduct_rc4 + cp_gullywash_final1, pl_barnblitz_pro4, koth_asvhille_rc1 + cp_process_final, cp_steel)

Maplist 3: Going with 3 koth/5cp maps (pl_upward, koth_lakeside_final + cp_process_final, pl_badwater, koth_pro_viaduct_rc4 + cp_sunshine_rc5/cp_croissant_final, pl_barnblitz_pro4, koth_asvhille_rc1 + cp_gullywash_final1, cp_steel)

With Sunshine being chosen if it does well in the experimental cup and UGC season.

Just my thoughts.

BAITO

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡9

Maplist 1 seems like the most reasonable choice here. Ashville is probably the “new” good map here, warmtic or lakeside, just as fine. Dropping gravelpit tho…, the perfect team play and strat map, not gonna happen. Just keep the old maplist but replace reservoir with one of the basic koth maps.

4hp

Ashville = all of my yes, I’d rather drop barnblitz than gravelpit

edit – actually please drop barnblitz, that last point is aids and cancer combined

Last edited by 4hp,

Tuffy

pd!

Let’s have a look to the new maps on the one-night cup. cp_keikoku looks really good and I hope it will make it to the season. Dropping Gravel pit is a bad idea (except if you replace it with keikoku). Attack / Defense is an awesome gamemode, and replacing an A/D map for a koth or 5cp map will just make the mappool boring. I like gravel pit but I understand why people doesn’t like it, but replace it with another A/D map then.
In my opinion, 5cp mode is the worst gamemode in highlander, so for me I would rather see process or gully being dropped (sunshine is fun enough).
About PL, yeah the only map I can see being removed is barnblitz. But I think upward has made its time and replacing it with some fresh map like borneo would be a good idea.

Bloodis

(Legend)
(๑╹ω╹๑ )

I’d rather play the same maplist as Season 6 had, but with Process replaced with some other 5CP map that has been proved to be viable as well, Sunshine possibly?

I mean, don’t get me wrong, Process is one of my favourite maps, it’s absolutely perfect for 6v6, but in Highlander it doesn’t work as well as even Gullywash does, while that map is chokey and sometimes stalematey as well, it’s much more better than Process in Highlander in many ways.

And I wouldn’t want to see Gravelpit or Steel to be removed from the maplist either, they’re both great maps that require more of team organization and planning than dm, which definitely isn’t bad at all in a season mixed with all the other Koth and 5CP maps.

HartzFartz

(ETF2L Donator)
0fo
0FO

please no borneo. in my opinion its has 1 cp toomuch to cap and I havent had a nice game on borneo ever, even though I plaid it plenty.

Popcorp

cp_fastlane/freight for next season pls.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Coalplant is better for hl than ashville is, and the colorscheme is not as retarded

EmilioEstevez

GG

Ashville is just a bad coalplant. Agree with dropping gravelpit (as did most of the other players in the discussion with admins).

Also no borneo, its terrible. Swiftwater sucks too.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

Quoted from Scissors

Coalplant is better for hl than ashville is, and the colorscheme is not as retarded

I second that. And for the love of god please drop barnblitz.

EmilioEstevez

GG

Barnblitz just needs some tweaks to last and it has an active developer. I’d really like to see pro6 in the next season.

Munky

AEUGH

Quoted from Scissors

Coalplant was just ashville edited for 6’s. On coalplant pushes from underneath become harder due to the changes in steepness of the ramps. Also wrangled minis on that ledge are obnoxious. Small differences but ashville just feels better for highlander from what I have seen. But opinions are like arseholes and all that.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Munky

Coalplant was just ashville edited for 6’s. On coalplant pushes from underneath become harder due to the changes in steepness of the ramps. Also wrangled minis on that ledge are obnoxious. Small differences but ashville just feels better for highlander from what I have seen. But opinions are like arseholes and all that.

Ashville is too tiny and the balk area on Coalplant is superior. I remember when we played Coalplant, it was some really good highlander, I honestly never really liked ashville that much when playing with my team. It also looks really horrible

RTC

Gullywash needs to go. The mid-fights are an absolute clusterfuck and have no flow whatsoever, and the fact there are only two ways to push into second as opposed to Process and Sunshine’s three just makes the map unbelievably congested and stalematey. As for its replacement, I don’t think it should be Sunshine, as it suffers from the same problems, albeit on a lesser scale. Maybe a KOTH map like Warmtic?

Also, Keikoku kind of reminds of Frontier in the fact that it’s so bad it’s actually kind of enjoyable on defence. It’s hell on earth for the attacking combo, and there’s almost nothing the attacking flank can do to help in that regard.

.zero

-chess-

In the end Kkaltuu will add cp_keikoku anyway, no matter what happens.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »