Forum

[ETF2L] Swiss Style Tournament System

Created 13th November 2014 @ 00:57

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9

shoras

Quoted from fraac

Maybe they’ve given up on not playing teams twice, Gentleman Jon said it would get a bit weird.

I remember some teams’ week 2 or 3 fixtures were against the team they’ve already played, but this was fixed later on.

Last edited by shoras,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Yeah that’ll be another bug with the pairing algorithm, it’ll probably be fixed for next week. Same happened for Weeks 2 and 3.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Can we put this in for HL?

AB

was surprised to see that I was a merc last week

http://imgur.com/lnkdSaw

ash

(Legend)
:D

Quoted from AB

was surprised to see that I was a merc last week

http://imgur.com/lnkdSaw

How is this relevant to the Swiss tournament system?

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

When a team doesn’t play a week how do you decide how many points they should get?

ducky

Quoted from fraac

When a team doesn’t play a week how do you decide how many points they should get?

http://etf2l.org/help/swiss-system-faq/

Q: What happens if there is an odd number of teams in my Tier?

A: Currently if there are an odd number of teams, the team in the middle position of the Tier will receive a ‘bye’ which will award them the full 6 points but with no fixture for that week. Teams are only eligible to receive at maximum 1 bye each Season. We are looking at implementing a system which will prioritize teams that received default losses in the previous week to get a bye, but for now it will be the middle team.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

It’s an interesting system. Can we see the actual pairing algorithm? Will you use Gibsonisation in the last round?

ducky

Quoted from fraac

It’s an interesting system. Can we see the actual pairing algorithm?

If you’re referring to the actual code you’ll have to ask emb, if you just want to know the system, well:
Pick the top team of any tier, look at their previous matches and who they’ve been matched against for this week. It should be pretty obvious how it works.

Will you use Gibsonisation in the last round?

I take it that with “round” you’re referring to the last week of the season?

As for potentially applying the gibson rule: Very very unlikely to happen in this league.

Since we’ve been using the swiss system the tier-winner of a season is no longer determined by the amount of points that they’ve accumulated throughout the competition , at least not directly.

These points merely determine a teams’ eligiblity to continue to the playoffs, where they might provide the top teams with a minimal advantage by giving them a higher seed (if you consider that an advantage that is).

Adding to that an ETF2L season is very “comeback friendly”.
To give you an example out of the running season:

In mid-tier a rather mediocre team such as UnitedKingdom Bantermory sponsored by Sony DADC (27th) can still go ahead, overtake the currently highest placed team Germany Lemmings in points , get to playoffs and become Mid-Champions , depending on how each team in that tier performs in their future officials.

It’s rather unlikely, but still within the realms of possibility. *wink* *wink*

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from ducky

To give you an example out of the running season:

In mid-tier a rather mediocre team such as UnitedKingdom Bantermory sponsored by Sony DADC (27th) can still go ahead, overtake the currently highest placed team Germany Lemmings in points , get to playoffs and become Mid-Champions , depending on how each team in that tier performs in their future officials.

It’s rather unlikely, but still within the realms of possibility. *wink* *wink*

Actually I don’t think thats possible due to the way fixtures are matched, teams above them are matched together and at least 1 of them is guaranteed to get 3 points per match. So even if they win their remaining games (29 points) Lemmings vs Gamsjaga is a fixture so at minimum one of these teams will have 30 afterwards. I’m sure there are other fixtures which push teams over that too.

The logic is there but I’d hazard a rough guess that no one below 8th can place 1st anymore.

ducky

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

Actually I don’t think thats possible due to the way fixtures are matched, teams above them are matched together and at least 1 of them is guaranteed to get 3 points per match. So even if they win their remaining games (29 points) Lemmings vs Gamsjaga is a fixture so at minimum one of these teams will have 30 afterwards. I’m sure there are other fixtures which push teams over that too.

The logic is there but I’d hazard a rough guess that no one below 8th can place 1st anymore.

I didn’t say that they could place first and have the most points, just that they had a chance of overtaking the current top team in points and making it to the playoffs.

(For that to work the results would have to be lemmings lose lose and back of the net win win to have a final point score of 27 to 29 in favor of BOTN between the two teams)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9